Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspaw View Post
On most new cars they put the side cameras under the mirrrors.

On the body or on the mirror housing?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
On the mirror housing.
dspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The camera is probably adjustable inside the housing....as far as the cables go I would mount it wherever you want to and use a long 3 to 4 foot tie strap to fish the wires through the interior skin, maybe even down through the floor and then up to the front along the chassis to the dash board. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ive had some luck fishing wire up and down in a "stud cavity" on the rig but side to side is impossible I think, because of the ribs. We are going to take it out to a parking lot along with the car and do some experimenting for placement of the side camera. Ill ask tech support if I can rotate the camera inside the housing, I'd like to have it point down and mount it high like my original plan. Suppose I could exchange the side camera for another one like the rear. Gonna mess with it more today. I want to finish up the rear camera and button that up first.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #25
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspaw View Post
That looks like a nice system. Where would you mount the side view cameras?
If I could get the inside side panels off w/o damage I'd mount them under the mirrors. Otherwise down by the air fins in the top of the wheel wells.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I ended up mounting the side camera right behind the wheel well Mel. It worked out very good. Did you get the 7" or 9" monitor? I got the 9" and am having a bit of a problem I'm trying to resolve. I have only two cameras, when trying to toggle between the two, I have to toggle past the empty blue screen of where the third camera would be. Their main tech person at rear view safety is out of the office till Thursday and no one else there has been of any help. I don't want to have to toggle past the empty screen every time I want to switch cameras. Surely that should be easily resolved but I haven't had any luck on my own. The controls on the monitor are pretty clumsy if you ask me and not very intuitive. Other than that issue I like the system so far.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	294696
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	294697
Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
Thanks for the idea Lance, just ordered a bullet camera (flush mount) that I am going to mount above the fuel tank door....field of vision is 120 degrees....no more problems over shooting the fuel pump when pulling in ! Regards, Bob
Old 09-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have the same cameras, except three for the AS trailer. I see you mounted them low, just behind the front wheel well on your MH. Can you snap a picture of the monitor with the side camera view or describe it, please?

I'm debating where to mount the side cameras, and I suspect as far forward as I can reasonably get (aft of the awning arms) is the right spot. I'm trying to determine height above the pavement as well. How high is your side camera mounted from pavement? Would you place it any differently now that you have it mounted?

(We won't go into the design discussion I'm having with myself on the proper location of the backup lights (boat docking lights) that require a rather large oval hole in the AS somewhere to mount them...)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I have the same cameras, except three for the AS trailer. I see you mounted them low, just behind the front wheel well on your MH. Can you snap a picture of the monitor with the side camera view or describe it, please?

I'm debating where to mount the side cameras, and I suspect as far forward as I can reasonably get (aft of the awning arms) is the right spot. I'm trying to determine height above the pavement as well. How high is your side camera mounted from pavement? Would you place it any differently now that you have it mounted?

(We won't go into the design discussion I'm having with myself on the proper location of the backup lights (boat docking lights) that require a rather large oval hole in the AS somewhere to mount them...)

I haven't had a good road test yet so I can't give you a complete evaluation. The camera is mounted 32" from pavement to the top of the camera. 120 degree field of view. I am most happy with its ability to pick up images nearly straight out, perpendicular, to the camera. Maybe a foot or so back from its position. A picture of the monitor, where the rig sits, wouldn't be of much help. Its parked in my drive just a few feet from the side of the house. From what I can tell, the placement is going to be great for my purposes. I want to be able to change lanes to the right safely. Between the camera and the mirrors I believe it has illiminated any blind spot. We will be headed out on the road on the 20th so I can report back then. I'm glad that I spent the money for the side camera though for sure.

Mike
Old 09-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #30
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I got my box of cameras today. Right now in processes of changing the 3" turbine down pipe to 4", so new 3 camera backup system is next.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #31
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
installed

Well, I got the cameras in and working. Had a challenge with the colors of the old (10 wire) and the new (4 wire). Not hard to get wires crossed when you're colorblind. Used the old monitor bracket for now.
Still need to find the turn signal L/R wires off the switch to make the L/R turn signal trigger the side cameras.
Wouldn't by chance now the colors for the L/R wires off the turn signal switch???
Didn't put the glass cover back on the rear camera housing. May revisit that and check how good it'll work if I did.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02944.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	295452Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02945.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	295453
Now I can check that off the 'Silver Bullet' bucket list.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
Nice Job, Regards, Bob
Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Out on the road now and giving my new camera a real test. Looks like everything is good except I should have installed the sunshade that came with the roof mounted backup camera. I thought the original, huge sunshade would do the trick in preventing saturation but it's too far away from the camera. When I get back home I'll install it.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #34
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Out on the road now and giving my new camera a real test. Looks like everything is good except I should have installed the sunshade that came with the roof mounted backup camera. I thought the original, huge sunshade would do the trick in preventing saturation but it's too far away from the camera. When I get back home I'll install it.
Glad to hear all(most) was good.
Did you use the glass cover? I figured it'd give a tunnel vision look.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
No Mel I didn't. All that remains of the original setup on the roof is the bracket and sun shade/hood. I ended up using a 2 position toggle switch to toggle between cameras, mounted in the wall by my left hand while driving. I tied the trigger wires to the switch. It eliminates reaching up to the monitor to switch cameras. I'm finding that I'm using the side camera a lot more than the rear out on the road. But, Ive got them wired to be on all the time, or which position the toggle switch is in that is.

If you wanted to, you could do something similar with the 3 camera setup. I didn't want to have to cycle through all three channels to get back to where I started. Plus I wanted the cameras on or available all the time not just when in reverse or using the turn signals. To monitor traffic as I go along mainly around bigger cities on 3 or 4 lanes each way. Soooo, I installed the "on-on" toggle switch. You could put your side cameras on a similar switch so you can toggle between just those two then leave your backup camera wired to the reverse light or whatever. Just an idea to slow down your progress
Mike
Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #36
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I have mine set so all cameras are on the monitor all the time. When I go into reverse the rear view camera takes most of the screen. Went I get around to getting into the turn signal switch wires and hook up the turn trigger wires the view will change to the side camera when the turn (right or left) signal is on. I'm just not ready to stand on my head and find the two needed wired.
Next I'm going to take the driver's seat out and either replace it of have it redone. Then I'll do the trigger wires.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
Ardmore , Oklahoma
What brand make/model# camera did you use. Did it just plug into existing camera wires on back. I have a 1996 Landyacht wide body, what is your year.
Regards RV Al jahill2930@aol.com
RV AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #38
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV AL View Post
What brand make/model# camera did you use. Did it just plug into existing camera wires on back. I have a 1996 Landyacht wide body, what is your year.
Don't remember. The link to the one I bought isn't working anymore some I'd guess it's not available.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We have the stock version AS puts on some of the newer models. It does work, we checked it out on our first trip. Other than that one single usage, it's never been used since. It's more trouble to try to watch the screen than it's worth ....

If I didn't have a co-pilot who could get out and watch the backing process (both the rear and the "off side", indeed it might get used a bit more.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV AL View Post
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...a-systems.html

I used a wired system with one backup and one side camera. Ran new cable from the dash to the rear end cap for the rear