Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Backup Camera monitor Save$$$

Due to the fact that in my spare time ( ya right! ) I manufacture an elevated camera system for wildlife biologists I've found the cost of backup systems to be a little out of line. (www.afab-inc.tripod.com/video-stik.htm )

I found a great deal on a Pyle PL2DNTV7
http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....model=PL2DNTV7 from www.millionbuy.com . Now not only do I have an in dash 7" monitor but a swell stereo to boot. I may never use the TV tuner but for $249 I couldn't refuse...and free delivery over $200. Integrated backup camera ready with a dedicated input. RDS AM/FM radio. 40 watts RMS output x4.... going to the Boston amp already intalled. RGB input could take the networked computers... now all I need to find is a DVD changer and I'm in business!!

It is a double din size but as the stock equalizer was missing from the dash I had a hole to fill anyway and will enlarge the existing single din hole to accomodate the new box.

The Marshal 4" LCD I put into the system I build costs me more than this!! I also had to figure out where to mount the monitor if I used one of mine.

I've also sourced a color CCD Camera $135. with a mirror function dip switch so now all I have to do is mount it in the rear window and run some wires.....or perhaps I could go wireless....hmmm.

Thought I'd share that with you all.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Great idea. I've been using the x10 wireless gear for a variety of work related tasks, and was thinking about trying it out for rear view on my TT and for hitching up. It's all 12 volt, and it's cheap.

http://www.x10.com/cameras/cameras_wireless.html
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Silverranger, the only downside I see to the x10 is that it uses only cmos cameras. I prefer ccd pickup for it's higher quality images and no smear on movement. cmos is cheaper but if you look around you will find ccd's for about the same cost.

The reason I'd go with wired in my coach is that I already have a lot of RF noise via bluetooth to my printer, cellular headset, and then cellular for both my phone and computer air card.

I'll look for my latest invoice on the ccd color camera and post here the vendor up in NYC.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Color back up camera

I found the invoice for the camera I spoke of. It came from http://www.123securityproducts.com/kphire48copi.html in NYC. It's listed as a 3x miniature ccd camera. $142. and it has a dip switch for mirror image. Just what you need for a back up. 480 TV line image from the 1/3" ccd pickup will give much superior image than a cmos chip.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Glenn,

Thanks for the link and the info about CCD vs. CMOS. I'll check it out. The mirror image feature could be a bonus. The reason I'm going to give the x10 stuff a look is because I already have access to it.

I'm sure you are probably already aware of one of my favorite sites:

http://www.supercircuits.com/
Old 08-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

As most on here can testify, I am ALL for finding and sharing a good deal with fellow froum members!
Thanks!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well I had the afternoon to myself today and as I'm camped out in High Point NC I desided to mess about with the backup camera. I'm still working out of the old Coachman as we wait, and wait, for the work on the AS to be completed.

I had my trusty Panasonic DVD player in the coach as always and as I've used it as a monitor before deside why not run the camera to it.

I've mounted the camera to the rear inside window frame and ran the supplied 25' cable down the inside of the bus. I'm working with the supplied 500ma wall wort power supply for now but will hardwire the 12v supply in the AS when I move it over.

The camera is a KPC-S38CZH series pin hole with 3x zoom. (KT&C Co. Ltd.) The picture is razor sharp and even better on the LCD of course. The mirror switch gives you the WISIWYG image you'd expect from a rearview mirror.

Can't wait to see what it's like with the bigger 7" LCD on the Pyle sound system waiting to go into the new bus!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Reasonably priced systems...

...for those of us who already spent most of our money on the AS, especially the reverse video feature.

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=3427

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=3426
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Silverranger, you're right about one thing the price is a bargain for a complete system. I'm enjoying my "put together" system today. Nice to see what's back there. I looked around via Google last night for comparrisons on the camera I'm using.... wow! what a variation in price. The folks up in NYC are by far the lowest for that piece.

With my bus now being worked on I may have it back next week to do the install on the Pyle/CCD color backup put together.... Will post the results later.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach