Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Back-up camera and monitor

Ok,
I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with this. My 345 has the b/w monitor and the HUGE camera above back panoramic windows. I'd truly like to get much smaller camera, as well as a color monitor.

My question is, will the existing wiring in my 345 support a new system? Has anyone tried?

As well, has anyone tried to use the wireless camera and monitor systems? Wondering if there is any interference between that sort of distance from front to back of Airstream.

Any thoughts, suggestions or first-hand experience with this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
What I did was get a new camera system. My monitor is B/W.
The original system has many wires and a single coax cable from the camera to the monitor.
The new system had one coax, and I think 3 wires. I just selected three of the existing wires and the coax cable. (write down which ones you use)
I had to cut a small access hole in the rear storage area just inside the rear camera mount to splice the new camera connector to the existing wires.
No big deal.
I modified the original camera mount to use for the new mount.
When you mount the monitor, then just select the same wires up front and you are good.
Hope this helps, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I switched from a Sony to a Voyager and the cables were not interchangeable, and if your changing from black&white to color the cable won't work either. At least not with a Sony when I checked. It seams they all have their own special connecting pins.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I've found a nice setup on eBay with a 4-pin connection. Will check wiring setup I have now tomorrow. This mailman needs to get some shut eye. lol
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I looked into a 2 din stereo that has a back-up camera option as well as a GPS and capability to connect a I-pod or similar devices. I need a new stereo any way. The cameras they use are tiny and using the monitor on the stereo would save space and eliminate some of the clutter on the dash. The concept seems to have merit and I plan on getting one after I get some of the other things taken care of.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Ok,
I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with this. My 345 has the b/w monitor and the HUGE camera above back panoramic windows. I'd truly like to get much smaller camera, as well as a color monitor.

My question is, will the existing wiring in my 345 support a new system? Has anyone tried?

As well, has anyone tried to use the wireless camera and monitor systems? Wondering if there is any interference between that sort of distance from front to back of Airstream.

Any thoughts, suggestions or first-hand experience with this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Derek
Contact Tim at RV Cams, Inc -- Backup Camera Systems and Parts. Really nice guy and knows this product. In my 396 XL I replaced the old B/W Weldex monitor and rear camera with a color 7" Voyager quad monitor and used a rear Weldex color camera and Voyager side cameras. I was able to use the existing cable with an adapter for the the Voyager monitor. Great clear sharp color picture on all views. Tim was great, I would not have been able to figure all of this out on my own. The package arrived with detailed instructions and I was able to install over a weekend.

Good Luck