Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Awning Mounting rail

What would be the best way to repair the awing rail that is riveted to the roof. Some of the rivets look loose and I have a leak by the door. I just replaced the door hinges and in the rain today I could see a leak coming from above the top hinge I am pretty sure it is coming from the awning mounting rail.

I would like to re rivet the rail and seal it but not sure how to take it apart. Is it possible to remove 1 of the cover segments without releasing the spring tension.
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
lost awning

Shepherd,

I don't know the answer to your question, but keep working on it.

We bought our 1984 310 last June. The wheels that locked the big curbside awning in place were frozen onto their threads when we got it. We hadn't needed the awning yet, so fixing that was lower on my list of priorities than other stuff like keeping the beast running.

Just finished a 2,400 mile trip from Montana to Texas. Passing through South Dakota, had some strong (estimate 50 mph plus) wind out of the south that popped every rivet (there are over 50 of them) and smacked the awning into the air conditioners on the roof. When I finally got off the highway and turned into the wind, the awing fell on the ground, where I left it.

When I mentioned the incident to the postmaster in the next town, Wanblee, SD, I got the feeling that this is not the first awning that has suffered this fate. Not sure whether I will replace. it. If you have loose rivets, stay out of the wind.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lost awning.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	128512  
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would not remove an awning segment with any tension on the spring. I would remove the tension by carefully disconnecting the rear arm and unwinding it.
Awnings By ZipDee

This would be the safe thing to do.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
On a closer inspection I found about 10 loose rivets in the mounting rail one I pulled out with my fingers. So I replaced the loose rivets with closed end marine rivets. That stopped the leak I had above the entry door I am now going to replace all of the rivets. I will just remove about 10 at a time and clean under the mount then ad a bit of Vulkum and new rivets. I don't see a need to remove the complete awning to complete this.

But I think it would be a good idea for people to check there awning mounting rail because I found quite a few loose rivets and there were 2 that I could pull out very easy with my fingers and they were the original bucked rivets.
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I removed the awning roller on my antique trailer I found 5 missing rivets. I believe some never had rivets in them since the holes were clean and new.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote