Name:	Valve 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	119482  

Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
And finally, some photos of my rear axle setup. it looks to me as if an air hose has been cut, yes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Suspension 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	119483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Suspension 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	496.3 KB
ID:	119484  

Name:	Rear Suspension 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	119485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Suspension 4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	119486  

Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Familiar territory. I had the same challenges. Here are a few pictures of our solution.

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1931.jpg
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	119490   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1945.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	119491  

Name:	100_1961.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	119492  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Familiar territory. I had the same challenges. Here are a few pictures of our solution.

Vinnie
Nice work, Vin. I wondered how that was installed.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
that hose is not cut, it looks like the relaese side of the leveling actuator (to lower pressure). when working with 12 pumps, make sure they have some ventalation and decent wiring. the heads can get VERY HOT, especially on a 5+gallon tank and 1 compressor

i have a AZ comp in my truck for power tools, works really well.

::Welcome to Air Zenith::
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
that hose is not cut, it looks like the relaese side of the leveling actuator (to lower pressure). when working with 12 pumps, make sure they have some ventalation and decent wiring. the heads can get VERY HOT, especially on a 5+gallon tank and 1 compressor

i have a AZ comp in my truck for power tools, works really well.

::Welcome to Air Zenith::
Great pictures. If you look at Airslides first picture that small black vertical tank to the left is what I have in my 280. There is a schrader valve on the bottom accessible under the coach to drain water. The original pump was powered through a fuse under the dash. Vinnie added the round relay at the rear of the compartment. I installed a similar one next to the batteries. You want a short run of heavy wires to power the compressor. You can also see the pressure switch.

Finch is correct that the cut tube is the valve exhaust that releases air when the ride height is too high. It looks like the tube to the rear of the valve goes to a tee to supply the bags and the last tube goes to the top of the tank. The other small tube on top of the tank probably goes to a gauge on the dash. The tube on the bottom of the tank could be the supply from the compressor and the larger diameter fitting could be a check valve. The other tube may go to a fitting somewhere to connect a hose to inflate tires and or supply air tools. Just a guess.

The air bags look way overinflated in the picture. The spool on the bottom of the bag should only have about half that much exposed. The dimension between the cross members, air bag height, should be 8 3/4". The hole in the valve arm is slotted and by loosening the bolt you can move the arm up or down for small adjustments. You can also bend the link that goes from the valve arm to the bottom cross member if you need to. If that is the original valve there is about a 15 second delay from the time the arm is moved until the air is charged to inflate the bags or released to deflate the bags. This prevents the valve from cycling every time you hit a bump or pothole and to prevent frequent compressor cycling.

Just out of curiosity what is in the white PVC conduit running under the frame rail?

Cheers, Dan
Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
Great counsel, Dan. I didn't stop to notice you had a 280 until just now!

A while back, I replaced my old fuse box in the rear with a new one. I have about 6 free circuits, so I drew a dedicated line to the compressor and put in a 30a fuse. In fact the only part of this setup that I feel good about is the 12v portion.

Thx for the heads up on the overinflation. No gauge in the system right now and I was winging it. I'll back 'em down. Of note, I did get conflicting info on the ride height. I've heard 8 3/4 and 10 1/2. Apparently there was a switch in design around '82 or '83. And mine is an '82/'83. So, confused on that one...

I'll have to trace all the air lines and get back to you. But your guesses are probably spot on. In fact, I'm getting excited about getting this all up and running again. If nothing else, I'm going to have a nice ~8-10gal tank on board to drive some tools and a compressed air nozzle--great for quick cleanups.

Oh, the 'conduit' isn't pvc. See pic...flying my colors, at night
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0557.JPG
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	119496  
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Not a problem, it seems like everybody who gets one of these 280's has the same problems at about the same time. When Vinnie (Airslide) was working on Tin Crumpets 280, every problem he had I had just been through the same thing on mine. We are all here to help each other. If you check out Tin Crumpet's thread about this time last year you will find lots of good stuff.

The ride height did change from 8 3/4" to 10 1/2" in '83 from what I understand. American Equip. told me 10 1/2" but it didn't look right. I think Greg or Andy at Inland RV told me to try 8 3/4" and it looked a lot better. If you can find a semi running around look behind and between the rear drive tires and you can see how the air bags ride. Most of the highway trucks have air ride and you can pull up along side and watch the bags work going down the highway.

If you took your 12V from the fuse box inside the coach you may be using the coach batteries instead of the engine battery. If it is not switched with the ignition key it should be. If not and you forget, it will run the battery down when parked for storage.

Now that you are into the system you can see how simple it is. The leveling valves seldom fail but they will start to leak with age. The bags last a long long time. The worst thing was the compressors as they were pretty anemic compared to what is available today. The check valves can fail with dirt and corrosion build up so make sure you provide an easy means to drain the water out of the tank. Truckers drain their tanks daily. Try to mount the check valve high in the system to keep it dry, if near the compressor the heat will help to dry some of the moisture.

OK it looks like PVC but if not what is it for? My coach has everything inside the frame rails rather than underneath.

Cheers, Dan
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
I don't worry too much about running off the coach battery. I have a group 8D hooked up with 660 watts of solar. And when I stop for any length of time, I pull the guillotine blades on both coach and engine batteries and kill all power to the Airstream.

The 'PVC' pipes are not pipes. They are neon light bars that run under the vehicle. White, red and blue light bars, each about 36" long. Thus the photo above
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalefox View Post
I don't worry too much about running off the coach battery. I have a group 8D hooked up with 660 watts of solar. And when I stop for any length of time, I pull the guillotine blades on both coach and engine batteries and kill all power to the Airstream.

The 'PVC' pipes are not pipes. They are neon light bars that run under the vehicle. White, red and blue light bars, each about 36" long. Thus the photo above
OK now I get it. You see I'm quite color blind so it just didn't register.

Cheers, Dan
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #25

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Dan beat me to it (as usual), those bags looked waay overinflated! Just to stir the pot, I've got both the '82 & '83 Service Manuals; they both say, " The ideal height for all around ride and clearance is 10" measured from the top of the air bag support beam to the bottom of the main frame chassis rail." I measure the distance from level surface to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim every once in a while to see how I'm doing. By the book, it should not vary more than a 1/4" side to side.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Dan beat me to it (as usual), those bags looked waay overinflated! Just to stir the pot, I've got both the '82 & '83 Service Manuals; they both say, " The ideal height for all around ride and clearance is 10" measured from the top of the air bag support beam to the bottom of the main frame chassis rail." I measure the distance from level surface to the bottom edge of the wheel well trim every once in a while to see how I'm doing. By the book, it should not vary more than a 1/4" side to side.
That's alright Mike, I understand those internet electron things get slowed down by the desert air.

I think that there are more than a few conflicts in the manuals. I remember last year when Vinnie (our new moderator) was working on Tin Crumpet's AS my manual had several more pages on a subject than Hans' manual did. They appeared to be the same manual but there were differences. I don't remember the subject but there was a conflict on the procedure between the two manuals. Updates or revisions maybe but it's hard to know what was going on 30 years ago.

Also not trying to be difficult but your air bags won't level your coach side to side unless you have two leveling valves, one for each bag. Only balanced coach loading and correct front suspension set up will assure side to side level on our coaches with the single leveling valve.

Cheers, Dan
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #27

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
your air bags won't level your coach side to side unless you have two leveling valves, one for each bag. Only balanced coach loading and correct front suspension set up will assure side to side level on our coaches with the single leveling valve.
"Mine" will level side to side, I had these installed in Seattle by a shop that deals with Fire Dept. rigs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0008 air bag valve.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	119658  
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
"Mine" will level side to side, I had these installed in Seattle by a shop that deals with Fire Dept. rigs.
Aw now you are just trying to complicate things. Did they put adjusters on so you can you can use the bags to level when you park?

Cheers, Dan