Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up Anyone in Dallas/Austin/Houston that wants to consult on pre-sale inspections?

Hi there,

My wife and I have a 66 Overlander RV that has moderate mondernizations (pex, water heater, AC) and some restoration (flooring, lights, etc.). Sure it could use a total update down to the bones but overall the trailer has held up very well for us on extended stays (13 weeks, etc.)

We've actually been interested in getting an Airstream classic motorhome and realize that it will be much more complex and probably involve pretty extensive restorative work at some point. But we enjoy working on projects together and have good connections for some of the work we won't want to do.

I've begun perusing the threads to see the extent of scope and I'm under no delusions about buying something older. One thing I've learned from some of my motorcycle ownership and classic truck restoration is nothing beats "been there, done that knowledge". And I'm willing to pay for it when looking at a classic motorhome.

I was wondering if there were knowledgeable classic motorhome owners in Dallas, and possibly Houston and Austin metro areas that wouldn't mind hiring out as a pre-sales inspection consultant? Go with me to inspect the vehicles and be the "bad cop".

Private message me if you'd like... or reply here.
bebo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you go to the Portal tab at top left, when that page opens there is a system for finding an inspector in Texas on the right edge of the page.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I may be available in Austin, after May 3rd
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks, Otra15. I missed that whole inspector feature.

And PeterH we will definitely keep you on hand if we look at any in the Austin/San Antonio area.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If you go to the Portal tab at top left, when that page opens there is a system for finding an inspector in Texas on the right edge of the page.

Good luck,

Peter
Do you have a direct link? When I open Portal, I don't see it.

OP, we are not Classic owners, but we know a bit about Airstream MH design. Neither my DH nor I are retired, though, so our availability is extremely limited. But if you happen across anything in Houston south of IH-10, feel free to drop us a line.

We hired an inspector to go over ours before we bought it. We might as well have flushed the money down the commode. He missed every last issue.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I just clicked on the grey Portal tab at the top left, and ended up here:

http://www.airforums.com/

On the right edge of this page there is a heading "Airstream Inspectors" with two boxes to complete.

Perhaps you are using the App and it does not have the same Portal tab?

Good luck,

Peter
Old 04-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
It reverts back to the homepage no matter which path I take. If I search for inspectors, I just get discussion threads.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It reverts back to the homepage no matter which path I take.
. . .
and do you see the "Airstream Inspectors" heading on the right edge of that page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
On the right edge of this page there is a heading "Airstream Inspectors" with two boxes to complete.
. . .
What computer or device are you doing this on? Do you need to scroll to the right to see the "Airstream Inspectors" heading maybe? Do you see the attached image on the right of the home page?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Insp 26 APR 2018.png
Views:	55
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	309586  
Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
OP, we are not Classic owners, but we know a bit about Airstream MH design. Neither my DH nor I are retired, though, so our availability is extremely limited. But if you happen across anything in Houston south of IH-10, feel free to drop us a line.

We hired an inspector to go over ours before we bought it. We might as well have flushed the money down the commode. He missed every last issue.
Thanks. I'm on the NW side of Houston. I actually had a good call with Peter H tonight and he gave me a rundown on concerns for the original classic motorhome I was considering. The good news is that he confirmed my suspicion that any non-restored Classic Motorhome was probably going to involve about $20K of repairs to get it up to speed.

In reality I just don't have the time for a restoration at the moment so I'm going to let the one I found go. We have a '66 Overlander trailer right now that is fine.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update. Good luck with the Overlander!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 04-27-2018, 06:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I see now. On the desktop version (full site), reaching the Airstream Inspectors box requires scrolling down the homepage, and it is embedded in with the commercial ads, to which I am intentionally blind. It doesn't appear under any of the non-commercial forum-related tabs (e.g., Vendors, Classifieds, More, or Quick Links). I've been using this forum for more than 3 years and never saw it, and if someone hadn't mentioned it, I would have gone another 3 without seeing it. Even if my peripheral vision had picked up on it, I would have assumed it to be just another embedded third-party ad in which I have no interest. Logically, I had assumed that any member-provided service would have been spatially associated with other member-related linked content such as Member List, Air # Directory, Member Search, etc.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . I am intentionally blind.
. . .

Phew, glad that struggle is over . . .

Perhaps you would consider listening to a voice, maybe crying in the wilderness, which tells you repeatedly where to look for a missing item?

You are welcome . . .