Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Phoenix and Salt Lake City are two other areas where the radio gets turned off and max attention is paid.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
a 16,000 pound mo/ho is a lot different from a mountain bike.
Certainly is. I just threw in the bike because it's the only vehicle I currently have that doesn't have ABS.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Mike, I've driven that stretch of I-5 from Portland all the way up to Everett. It's not too bad in the less populated areas, but Tacoma, Seattle, WHEW!
Sometimes you wonder if a 2 lane road wouldn't be better, but then you run the risk of someone cutting you off, only to turn into the next business 20 feet away......
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Mike --- everyday now I see you have "Another near-miss" in the new posts. What the h$%^ are you doing wrong??

Have fun out there.

I have my own campfire story about I-5 in Seattle.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Good reason to drive at night and early in the morning... lot less stressful
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ennis , Texas
Not a near miss - hit

We wrecked our 1981 Classic 3 years ago because a bobtail truck decided he wanted our lane and 'did not see us'. Side swiped from front to rear including our tow vehicle. It was dry, clear and dry pavement. Even though we had side damage, windshield and window damage, we were 1 hour from home and drove home, shaking all the way. That ended that trip before we got started. We went home and decided not to continue our trip in our 1959 airstream trailer and pickup.

We did find a 1992 Classic and I am always on pins and needles wondering if that will happen again.

Chief
1969fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Mike --- everyday now I see you have "Another near-miss" in the new posts. What the h$%^ are you doing wrong??
If there's a drawback to full timing, it's your chances of a "cream-in" are increased ten-fold.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
For every positive, there has to be a negative.

But, I just wanted to point out, if this thread gets a fresh posting every day, fellow Airstreamers will get the impression that those silver motorhomes are bad luck.

Dave

Quote:
If there's a drawback to full timing, it's your chances of a "cream-in" are increased ten-fold.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
For every positive, there has to be a negative.

But, I just wanted to point out, if this thread gets a fresh posting every day, fellow Airstreamers will get the impression that those silver motorhomes are bad luck.

Dave
Oh, in seventeen years and over 250 thousand miles, I've made some bonehead moves, but never trashed anybody else. If the time comes where it was my fault with injuries to others, I will re-think the lifestyle.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969fowler View Post
We did find a 1992 Classic and I am always on pins and needles wondering if that will happen again.
Yeah, I never drove the B190 quite the same after the accident we had in it (not that I was a crazy driver before, but I was even more careful after). A few minutes into our first trip after the accident, my wife said, "I still feel safe riding with you." I replied, "That makes one of us." In particular, when we drive past the spot where we had the accident, I slow down to 45-50 mph (in a 55 mph zone) now.

I haven't totally gotten comfortable with the trailer yet, either, after a year and at least 5,000 miles towing it, for similar concerns. A little bit of that is probably a good thing, actually - being on guard and ready for trouble. But the rest of the jitters can only be cured by more experience with the rig, right?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The journey can make many thrilling stories to tell at the campfire, but sometimes the navigator only views the problem after you hit the brakes.

Their memory/story of the incident will be condensed, sharp, and sometimes presented in an excited manner.

It is the view/reaction of the driver, and the defensive action one takes, that makes or breaks the day and the trip. But she will always tell that story -- "like that was so close".

We could just stay at home? Thats not my choice.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Yeah, I never drove the B190 quite the same after the accident we had in it (not that I was a crazy driver before, but I was even more careful after). A few minutes into our first trip after the accident, my wife said, "I still feel safe riding with you." I replied, "That makes one of us." In particular, when we drive past the spot where we had the accident, I slow down to 45-50 mph (in a 55 mph zone) now.

I haven't totally gotten comfortable with the trailer yet, either, after a year and at least 5,000 miles towing it, for similar concerns. A little bit of that is probably a good thing, actually - being on guard and ready for trouble. But the rest of the jitters can only be cured by more experience with the rig, right?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It takes a while to recover from an accident. Many years ago I went off a curve in Ohio. There had been an ice storm there and I couldn't see any ice on the road; by then it was snowing. I was going maybe 10-15. I had no control of the Jeep—that's a weird feeling when no matter what you do, the vehicle just keeps going straight towards a pole in the middle of a field. Not too much damage, but for a couple of years every curve looking anything like that made me anxious.

After the accident I learned it was called "Deadman's Curve" and conditions were so bad, the Ohio Trooper didn't give me a ticket—those guys had a reputation in then of giving tickets to everyone for anything.

It takes time, but eventually the memory and anxiety fade.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It takes a while to recover from an accident. Many years ago I went off a curve. It takes time, but eventually the memory and anxiety fade
Good point, Gene. Tucked in back of our pea brains is the message: "WARNING, you could have been killed here." Jan and Dean got a hit record off one of the many of those curves.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Glad you made it through that...it's all ours' nightmare...100-150 miles is usually my cut-off time...truck stop, rest area, flat place well off the highway...got back to TX today with a few harrowing incidents, but I got back...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
got back to TX today with a few harrowing incidents, but I got back...
That's all that matters, is it not? How goes it with Tracy? Will we see you in the deep desert this winter?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
A 17K lb moho is an albatross, when it doesn't run, but when it does...trailers are cargo. I have owned both critters...I'll stick with the moho till one of us gives up.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
desert winters just can't be beat.

Quote:
That's all that matters, is it not? How goes it with Tracy? Will we see you in the deep desert this winter?
T is doing well...the moho run was to get the therapy folks working on getting her in and out of it...we'll do as deep in the desert as we can get outside Q-town, with a couple of excursions to Ajo...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
T is doing well...the moho run was to get the therapy folks working on getting her in and out of it...we'll do as deep in the desert as we can get outside Q-town, with a couple of excursions to Ajo...
Good to hear, we'll be in Flag around the 15th of Sept. and to the deep (Ajo), in November, or whenever the winter drives us south.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mike, everytime I see you post on this thread, I wonder if you had another near miss.

Michael, glad to hear Tracy is doing well. We only got to meet her briefly at Heron Lake SP a couple of years ago.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Mike, everytime I see you post on this thread, I wonder if you had another near miss
Call me road crazy, but in two weeks, we're heading back out into the asphalt sea and dealing with all the nutcases again.