Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Aluminum vs Steel Roof Truss

Does anyone know when Airstream changed to Aluminum roof and wall framing?
This example is reported as a 1994 Land Yacht, yet I thought all the 90's had aluminum framing.
Was it only the bigger units?
Please post your info so that future buyers know what they are looking to get into.
If you are looking at a unit that you have doubts about, pull out an overhead florescent light, or expose the area beside the air conditioner and you will be able to see the truss.
Moderator: PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE LAND YACHT THREAD.
Sorry for posting on the wrong thread.

Dave

Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Wow. I thought they were all aluminum as well.

Steel and aluminum generally don't like each other...you put bare aluminum against bare steel and you most often get galvanic corrosion. Not a good thing at all.

This is news to me!!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you don't want to take stuff apart, you can also use a "stud finder", which is basically a magnet/compass needle. If the trusses are steel, the stud finder will point at them.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Just a note that the new electronic stud finders will detect aluminum and copper in a wall and I have used one on my Clipper to determine wall stud location.

OneStep Pro LCD ($24.99) and MultiScanner Pro SL ($34.99). The MultiScanner Pro even finds copper, aluminum, and rebar in concrete up to 3" thick, on top of everything else. Even fancier is the Zircon One Step Wall Scanner for $75. It powers up automatically when placed against the wall, has a 2 part hinged design so you can angle your wrist while the sensor part stays flat on the wall, and has a backlit LCD screen. So if you think you will use a tool like this often, I'd say it's worth the extra $15 bucks or so and go with the StudSensor Pro LCD --

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you don't want to take stuff apart, you can also use a "stud finder", which is basically a magnet/compass needle. If the trusses are steel, the stud finder will point at them.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
I have always assumed that the use of aluminum ended when the last of the "Classics' rolled out of the factory, which I think was as late as 1995/6/7. While the production of Land Yachts and Classics overlapped during several years, I doubt the two shared much more than some oak cabinet doors. At the expense of quality, the use of steel was an easy way to cut costs. That photo speaks for itself. As always, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
It would appear that the LY motorhome models prior to possibly 1994 used steel framing.
This document
http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...fe0fcb5454.pdf
is for the Clipper specs and confirms that Aluminum was used in 1995 production. I just assumed that all Airstream units had the Aluminum framing. (Airstream and Aluminum seem to go together so why would they use rust prone steel?)
Now, the next question is, did the Land Yacht trailers, (square stream), use aluminum or steel for framing?????

Dave
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thats a scary pic...
I know this might not make sense at first, but this is one of the reasons i went with a Classic..
I looked at a lot of Motorhomes over the years and dreamed about what would be right for me.
My favorite was the Holiday Rambler Imperial..
I learned tho, that all these Motorhomes suffered from roof leaks and delamination of the bodysides...
The Airstream has weakspots too, but I was ok with replacing rivets and sheets of Aluminum...
Just my 0.02c
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Obviously that is a neglected unit. A little paint on those crossmembers would have helped a lot. This sort of problem is typical of the RV industry in general. The average RV is designed with a 5-10yr lifetime.

Perry
Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Dave might be right about LY built before 94 having steel framing.I have a 2000 AS brochure that says walls and ceiling framing in the LY's were aluminum then also. The fact that they used steel in the framing wouldn't have necessarily been so bad. But that,along with such a poorly designed roof on top of these earlier 90's coaches was the bigger issue . Steel used in interior construction, wasn't intended to get wet repeatedly. As a side point, I've seen videos on newer MH construction where they now dip the complete frame into a rust preventative zinc oxide paint for protection before assembling for added protection against rust in case it does get wet.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The key point is-- keep a close eye for leaks of any kind. On the above example it is, I think, obvious that it was not owner maintained. (or he did not understand the serious results from water damage.) On other pictures of that unit, the caulking was piled on, and it probably was way to late to avoid the damage. And if the unit was not able to breath, the moisture remained.

On my Clipper the insulation is bead-board and will not hold moisture. Not sure if this applied to this example. But if you have insulation that will hold water it is almost impossible to dry it out in a closed cavity. (maybe if you go to the desert and air dry it for a good length of time.)

No matter what you buy/own, the roof and the basement/chassis are the most important as most everything between those can be replaced.

I like the Eternabond tape on the roof seams as - if it is lifted you will quickly see that on inspection and the bad piece can be trimmed out and replaced.

If you have a suspected leak, a tarp is cheap to cover the unit until it can be properly repaired.

Dave
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The "SQUARESTREAM" f/g trailers of 1990 were of aluminum framing with f/g panels. On attached photo, bottom right, is the info if you enlarge it.

Why Airstream thought they needed to change to steel framing for the Land Yacht motorhomes of this era is hard to understand.
Again, AFAIK, all wall and roof construction reverted to aluminum in 1995, although, it is hard to find documentation confirming this. I have asked Jackson Center for this info, but have not had any response to this date. (Everyone from that era is gone and f/g motorhomes are not something they are currently interested in)
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
It would appear that the LY motorhome models prior to possibly 1994 used steel framing.
This document
http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...fe0fcb5454.pdf
is for the Clipper specs and confirms that Aluminum was used in 1995 production. I just assumed that all Airstream units had the Aluminum framing. (Airstream and Aluminum seem to go together so why would they use rust prone steel?)
Now, the next question is, did the Land Yacht trailers, (square stream), use aluminum or steel for framing?????

Dave
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Just to add some more complexity to the question of when and what Airstream Land Yacht models used steel roof and walls!
I found this add that details that aluminum wall construction was used on this 1990.
This unit was is no longer available for sale and is for information only.

1990 AIRSTREAM 33 LAND YACHT-quality built, aluminum framed, loaded with Onan 6.5, dual a/c, hydraulic jacks, camera, Alcoa wheels, search light, air horns, encased awnings, 2 tv’s, solid oak throughout, rear island queen, full dinette, sofa/sleeper, chair and much more, priced at only $23,950 Vin#300311 for more info call.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Maybe, early production when they first started making the figerglas models they used aluminum frames then switched. Its possible, or maybe whoever placed the add was wrong about the construction, miss stating the information. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that in and add. Nice looking motor home though.

i

/

Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1096517]

On my Clipper the insulation is bead-board and will not hold moisture. Not sure if this applied to this example. But if you have insulation that will hold water it is almost impossible to dry it out in a closed cavity. (maybe if you go to the desert and air dry it for a good length of time.)

Dave,
Just a comment about bead-board insulation. I work in the EIFS industry (Exterior Insulation Finishing System) we work with both types of insulating board - styrofoam and Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) or white bead-board. The way that EPS board is manufactured, bonding the larger beads together, acutally makes it more susceptible to holding moisture than styrofoam which is Extruded Polystyrene and is stronger, denser and has a higher R value than bead board. But as you stated, the real problem is: once moisture gets inside the walls or ceilings it is very difficult to dry out.