Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Glen,

Congratulations! Looks great. Now I think you should donate the same job to a nice 370 . I'd be glad to hand out your business cards whenever anyone asks me what's been done to the roof . Now, doesn't that sound like a good deal ? I'll even drive down to your place to get the work done.

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
The white "hat" probably will work well! I taught school in the Central California Valley (think really hot in the summer....) and all the school busses had a white top just to reflect the sun! It helped quite a bit, especially because they are not air conditioned... the poor kiddles would ride home at 4:00 in the afternoon when it was 100+ outside...

We also painted the roof of a pickup we used to have white and it seemed to help it as well! Good luck and let us know what your results are!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis

Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, welcome back, and you're welcome anytime to visit and I'll supervise and instruct for a small fee. Not sure the 370 is of a size I could not think of tackling it over a single weekend.

Today was sunny and bright but the temps didn't reach into the 90's like last week. I do think I've gained an upper hand on the situation though and would recommend the process highly.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Tim, welcome back, and you're welcome anytime to visit and I'll supervise and instruct for a small fee. Not sure the 370 is of a size I could not think of tackling it over a single weekend.

Today was sunny and bright but the temps didn't reach into the 90's like last week. I do think I've gained an upper hand on the situation though and would recommend the process highly.
Glen,

The visit sounds good, but the supervision and instruction "for a small fee" weren't quite what I had in mind. Besides, I could come back on different weekends until YOU got finished .

Seriously, keep us posted on how well the white repels heat. I've noticed that it is a definite problem here in Virginia, and you're not that far away. If it works well, I may just have to get out there and tackle this. Just what I need - another project ...

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, I've got it figured out... I'll help you with your paint job ( I'll even buy the paint ) ... in return you can help me with my Gearvendor in$tallation.

So when is your rig getting the new gear life??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 07-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Tim, I've got it figured out... I'll help you with your paint job ( I'll even buy the paint ) ... in return you can help me with my Gearvendor in$tallation.

So when is your rig getting the new gear life??
Glen,

Fair enough! Of course, I'm having a neighbor who owns a transmission shop put in the GV, so will pictures be sufficient ? I didn't know you were even going to buy the paint .

Leaving this morning for a week's vacation, and the GV should be installed as soon as I get back. It's in my garage . Didn't order soon enough for this trip. At least this way I'll have good records of gas mileage, rpms @ speeds, temps, etc. for comparison.

Don't forget the free advertising I'm providing you after the roof painting !

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 07-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, here's a look at the seam line from front to back, and the rear cap seam line. The seams made for great taping lines. The third coat will take the front cap a bit further out, more rounded and feathered down.

Tim, enjoy your vacation... I thought you had come back already! I buy my paint at West Marine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_070806_001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	23322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_070806_003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	23323  

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 07-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Glen, Great job! All that work will ruin your golf swing. Have you noticed a difference in heat yet? You could drive out to Arizona and give it a real test!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well I'm a little late posting but here goes anyway. The new white hat has in my opinion (less than scientific) reduced the temp inside the coach.
I'm not done yet and will continue to improve things as I go.
Next on the list is to build a better plenum for the Carrier ducted A/C unit I installed last year. I've been working to date with a make do situation and recognize the need to build something more effective.
Unlike lots of what AS produced I have a drop down center headliner channel that I've made into an A/C duct. I may be dropping it down a bit more to accomodate some more air flow in the near future too.
I'm also going to have some tint added to the cockpit side windows too... I'm starting to feel like a BBQ chicken when the sun is on the drivers side exposure..
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 07-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Glen, thanks for this most informative posting. I just traded a new 1500 ac for the old 1300. An improvement but still the inside of my 28' mh is hot under the July Texas sun. Next is to follow your lead with the white roof. Looking forward to the results of your cool down attempts. thanks again ... joe...