Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Dealer in Florida- Help!

Hi Folks,
I am in Canada and am looking at an Airstream motorhome in FL. Anyone know a reputable dealer I can trust? Please do not say Bates RV as I had a deal with a fellow last week in Fl on another unit, I told him to take it to Bates to get it looked over and straighten out a Vin number problem. While the owner of the MH was there getting the issues fixed the owner of Bates came out, offered him more money and scooped it out from under me. Even though I had offer and acceptance with the Airstream owner. In my books, very unethical and will not take any product to Bates.
Let me know!
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can try Saunders in Alachua.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
From what I understand, Bates is the only Airstream dealer in Florida. When you find another unit, let us know, so we can get you someplace kinda close to the selling owner.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Why do you need to find a dealer?

As far as the sour deal, it sounds like the seller is the unethical party not the dealer.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Why do you need to find a dealer?

As far as the sour deal, it sounds like the seller is the unethical party not the dealer.
Still pretty sleazy of the dealer if he KNEW he was checking it out for a buyer. I certainly wouldn't trust someone like that to give me a straight answer on any needed repairs.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
I think it was sleezy on the seller' part, not the buyer. More likely the seller found out he could get more moola from Bates RV and jumped on it. I doubt Bates had any inkling that you had a deal with the seller.
Before you demean a business entity on the internet, you should make sure that you know the facts. I've purchased AIrstreams, both trailers and just recently a Interstate touring coach from Bates and can't believe they would be involved in a petty deal like that. They are the 2nd largest Airstream dealer in the country and a huge and highly respected dealer of sobs as well. You don't get there by petty sleeze.

Since you've seen fit to call out the owner of Bates RV by name, why don't you give us the name of the "seller" too (only fair), and we'll all make up our minds.

Dennis ;-(

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
That only leaves Saunders RV in Alachua. Good people, family owned forever.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
does not sound to bad

I lost a boat drove 600 miles with signed bill of sale and paypal deposit down. Sold it to someone for more money. Yeah lost my deposit as well. What size are you looking for. Sounds fair in your case to loose deal nothing was firmed up on your part. Seller would be unethical I would not blame Bates it's what they do for living. Without a contract nothing happened. Judge Judy always say's no contract then it did not happen.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen View Post
I think it was sleezy on the seller' part, not the buyer. More likely the seller found out he could get more moola from Bates RV and jumped on it. I doubt Bates had any inkling that you had a deal with the seller.
Before you demean a business entity on the internet, you should make sure that you know the facts. I've purchased AIrstreams, both trailers and just recently a Interstate touring coach from Bates and can't believe they would be involved in a petty deal like that. They are the 2nd largest Airstream dealer in the country and a huge and highly respected dealer of sobs as well. You don't get there by petty sleeze.

Since you've seen fit to call out the owner of Bates RV by name, why don't you give us the name of the "seller" too (only fair), and we'll all make up our minds.

Dennis ;-(

The op says that the vehicle was at Bates for a checkout. This suggests that the dealer was aware that there was a sale happening. It seems like both seller and dealer are guilty of being opportunistic. We do not have all details but I don't believe you can dismiss the dealers part as "ok". I would certainly be unhappy if I was in the position of the op.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen

Dennis ;-(
Oh Dennis give us an @@@ break!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft
I lost a boat drove 600 miles with signed bill of sale and paypal deposit down. Sold it to someone for more money. Yeah lost my deposit as well. What size are you looking for. Sounds fair in your case to loose deal nothing was firmed up on your part. Seller would be unethical I would not blame Bates it's what they do for living. Without a contract nothing happened. Judge Judy always say's no contract then it did not happen.
Are you kidding?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
sanders rv in alachua just north of Gainesville, been business selling as for years.. Will point you in the right direction for chassis and drivetrain inspection also. Give them a call. Ask for mark and let him know what you need. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Well, if JUDGE JUDY says so, it must be fact...not like she's making a financial living on being a legal B**** if your gut feeling tells you you got screwed, then the handy-wipes for the KY jelly are appropriate.m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Money talks, bs walks, such is life. We should all learn from this. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I live less than 5 miles from Bates, so I can tell you this, from first hand, repeat experience. This is my experience alone:

Their parts people have no clue when it comes to vintage Airstreams. They have to be hand held every step of the way and I've had to correct them on multiple occasions. They seem to not care much to even try to help, although they feign interest by saying they'll call Airstream and call you back. My experience has been that return phone call has been made exactly once out of the four times I've been told they'll call back.

They can't take over-the-phone orders, you have to go in person, or fill out a credit application so they can create purchase orders in your name for COD. In today's world that seems mad to me. It leads me to believe they aren't that interested in selling parts.

I've dealt with two salesmen on separate days, weeks apart, when we were looking several months back. They had approximately 6 "vintage" AS on site and neither seemed the least bit interested in showing them to us. Neither knew the prices on them. If I asked, they'd hem and haw and try to find them on their price sheet, but ultimately no firm number was able to be given. They just didn't care. In fact, the entrance door was locked in a Sovereign we were interested in, and the salesman made no effort to get it unlocked for us.

They both quickly whisked us away to the land of the $80,000 new Airstreams, where both of the guys (on separate occasions) made inappropriate comments in front of, or to, my wife. I'm no prude, by any means, but I looked at these clowns like "seriously?"

Both of them made their pitch about financing an AS for 15 years and how it's an investment and blah blah blah. After I told them both that I was looking for an investment of around $5000, we were ultimately loaded up on the golf cart and driven back to the truck when no business cards were offered, no "well what do you think", no "let me know if..." nothing.

The message I received from Bates RV was loud and clear. "Buy new or get out."

Now, to be fair, I can say that my friend got a really good deal from them a few years back and they were great to him. It just hasn't been my experience.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
From what I understand, Bates is the only Airstream dealer in Florida. When you find another unit, let us know, so we can get you someplace kinda close to the selling owner.
Thanks, Derek
North Florida RV Dealer | Airstream | Earthbound | Rockwood | Salem | Trailmanor| JD Sanders RV Center, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Daytona Beach
Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The OP's first post here on the forums asked for another Airstream dealer in Florida. He obviously isn't aware of the forums rules about disputes with dealers and vendors here, but that doesn't give y'all with hundreds or thousands of posts the excuse to "pile on." You know better.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Well. doggone it...how are we supposed to know who to trust if someone doesn't "pile it on"?...covering for a shoddy dealer is poor, at best, and negligent if ignored.I don't think that reporting a difficulty is wrong...yeah, sometimes the experience is good, sometimes not, but evaluating on the forums is a great medium, and might just effect poor to better in dealers...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The OP's first post here on the forums asked for another Airstream dealer in Florida. He obviously isn't aware of the forums rules about disputes with dealers and vendors here, but that doesn't give y'all with hundreds or thousands of posts the excuse to "pile on." You know better.
Sorry, obviously I missed that one in the terms and conditions. By all means, please, moderators, remove my post.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Dealer

Thanks for all the thoughts. I kind of agree it was unethical on both parties when I think about it now. Life lesson. Enuff said.
I have moved on. There will be always be another airstream.
Thanks for the tip on the other RV dealer in Florida. One of the forum members has volunteered to go take a look at another unit which I found in FL which I think is very cool.
Thanks again to everyone. I was not aware of the forum rules either so feel free to remove my posts. I apologize.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote