Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 29' Airstream 290
St. Francisville , Louisiana
Airstream 290, need suggestions

Hello all! I'm new to this site and a proud new owner of a new (to me) Airstream Motorhome. It's actually a 1988 290. I think it would be a limited version because of the interior (leather seats and fine oak cabinets) and loaded with other features, but not 100%. I have know this machine since new, it was given to my wife and I by ber parents. It has ALWAYS been stored inside and has only 34K miles and is in mint condition. The only major problem is the front driving A/C doesn't work. I had a mechanic charge with freon only for it to leak out in 2 days. Thank god he put the dye in it and was able to find the leak. It's leaking from a hose that connects the front coils to the compressor. So this is where I am now. While I try to find someone to do the work and pay the $$, is it worth converting from the R12 freon to something newer?? What has to be replaced or is this even possible. If I just decide to replace the hose and continue with the R12, do you think this hose might be available from GM (the engine is the 454) or do you think it would have to be custom made?? Any input/suggestions appreciated!!! Thanks!

Sorry - I keep getting upload failures when I try to attach pics. Any help here too would help.
nezpique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is 27 years old, and all the hoses are prone to leak at that age. I would bite the bullet and take it to a good AC shop and have them replace ALL the hoses, receiver/dryer and associated parts and put refrigerant in it. They probably will want to put R134a in it rather than R12, as R12 is very expensive now, and hard to come by. Probably a good move too on your part as it is going to cost you less. The downside is a slightly reduced AC capacity, maybe 10 to 15%.

In LA you should have many good independent shops who deal with Auto AC units. It is not necessary to take it to a GM dealer. Ask around until you find some independent who seems to be well recommended and take it to talk to them. If you know anyone who has a street rod, or any club that deals with them, they will probably know good shops who do quality custom work.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Pinson , Alabama
I still waiting to pickup my '79 M/H from the shop. Idroba is correct . Replace the hoses. Usually shops can make up their own. Mine had to have new compressor, dryer bottle, hoses, and evaporator. Plus changed to R134a. Suppose to be finished tomorrow but have heard that before. Also replaced alternator, re-cored radiator, new calipers/pads, new hydro-boost, new front air bags, new water pump and thermostat, replaced valve cover and manifold gaskets. Once I get it back the fun begins with inside renovations. Adding 3 fantistic fans, new frig, new furnace, new water heater, fire suppression system, plus numerous other items. I may never finish but will enjoy the challange!!
RosiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 29' Airstream 290
Thanks guys! I will visit a couple of auto A/C shops in Baton Rouge today. I will post on my progress.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Chances are, the hose was specially made just for your coach at the time it was built. As a result, the replacement will need to be fabricated. This is no big deal. Basically, they use the old fittings and replace the rubber hose.

This would be a good time to convert to R134A Freon. It's much cheaper than R12 and much more readily available. Besides, R12 is damaging to the earth's ozone layer.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Wow! A 290 that has been basically stored away in a time capsule. I hope you realize how lucky you are to come by such a treasure. Many of us on the forum have spent years trying to restore a MH that has been neglected over the years.
I too need to replace my dash air. I have been looking into upgrading to a modern compressor design to achieve a more efficient more dependable system. There are several companies that specialize in modern A/C systems for muscle cars that have the 454. A search on vintage air-conditioning should provide several sources.
Please keep us posted on how you proceed, and how the new system works. We can all help each other that way.
PS. To post pictures click on reply to thread , then scroll down to attach files , then click on manage attachments.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I have a totally new system in my little 20ft.....write up to follow soon on the rebuild thread!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Airco

First of all, congrates to the 290!
I tried to buy one via EBAY, but misses it out.
I am from Germany, i have a 345 from 1986 and have also AC trouble now.
Ma clutch or compressor is noisy, but still working.
The formal owner converted the system to R134a, this helps me know, because the old "freeon" is prohibited now in Europe.
I definitivly recomend to convert the entire system to R134a!!!
A second ootion is, you ignore the dash AC, because uf it is really warm, the dash AC us not strong enough and if you let it "fully-blow" you get a cold from the stream.
We run the Generator and use the roof AC's. The Generator take's just 1 gallon if gas per hour ("full load", thank you Peter&#128540 and it is very comfortable al inside.
You will get better gas mileage if you NOT tun the dash AC!!!
Once you want to sell your 290, let me know...😃!
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
With our mild prairie climate, I seldom use the roof AC except when we are driving in hot weather, when like Roquefort I will run generator and front roof AC........ funnily enough this does not seem to change my fuel economy at all!.... plus it does a really great job when combined with the little fans behind the front seats. It must be said that although our dash AC works well and blows cold, it will only keep the front of you cool in hot driving conditions, and you need the roof AC to keep the main compartment cool. I don't think I would fix the dash AC if it quit working, except to sell the MH, when of course it would be expected.

Starlord: THREE Fantastic Fans! Does that mean that you are replacing the roof AC with fans? I have always been impressed by how effective the Fantastic Fans are at cooling, although of course you cannot use them when in motion.
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 29' Airstream 290
I'm curious what a fantastic fan is. Can someone post a picture?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Google brings in a lot of links. I don't know what models would be correct for a Classic, but these people give a good idea of fitting one.

Installing the Fantastic Vent Fan into our RV

You can switch them to suck or blow, they work on a thermostat, and when it rains, the vent closes automatically, but will reopen when the rain stops, so you can leave the fan on all day, making leaving your pet in the RV much safer.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Pinson , Alabama
Punch, I've three vent holes in my M/H, center one has power and other two don't. So I thought go big or go home. Two to pull, one to push or whatever !! Also got a good deal as well.
RosiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
The Maxxair deluxe fan allows you to run the fan in motion and when its raining out. No additional cover to buy like the Fantastic fan. IMHO a much better designed fan and much better looking on an Airstream. Great customer support also from what Ive heard, Ive never had any problems with mine. I believe about the same price as the Fantastic fan.

Mike
mayco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442170881.449655.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	247992

Maxxair vent fan (this is not my rig but the same make and model)

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
The Maxxair deluxe fan allows you to run the fan in motion and when its raining out. No additional cover to buy like the Fantastic fan. IMHO a much better designed fan and much better looking on an Airstream. Great customer support also from what Ive heard, Ive never had any problems with mine. I believe about the same price as the Fantastic fan.

Mike
Interesting Mike..... they seem more expensive than the Fantastic Fans, at least up here in Ultima Thule. I assume you mean the Deluxe version with built in cowl. The pictures make the vent cowl look very flat at the flange, how difficult is it to fit on a curved classic roof?

Bob
Old 09-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
I still waiting to pickup my '79 M/H from the shop. Idroba is correct . Replace the hoses. Usually shops can make up their own. Mine had to have new compressor, dryer bottle, hoses, and evaporator. Plus changed to R134a. Suppose to be finished tomorrow but have heard that before. Also replaced alternator, re-cored radiator, new calipers/pads, new hydro-boost, new front air bags, new water pump and thermostat, replaced valve cover and manifold gaskets. Once I get it back the fun begins with inside renovations. Adding 3 fantistic fans, new frig, new furnace, new water heater, fire suppression system, plus numerous other items. I may never finish but will enjoy the challange!!
Good luck young man.
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
All I did was lay a thicker bead of caulk on the outer edges. Made sure that when I snugged it down with the screws that It squeezed a bit out all the way around. Didnt over-tighten. Then a dab on top of each screw head. Theyve been installed for over two years and no problems. I bought the deluxe model but without the bells n whistles, no remote, no auto open or close. They do have a thermostat to kick them on at a set temp. I really didnt want the fancier models, more to potentially go wrong. I bought and installed two, got them on sale for half price. I believe it worked out to be around $160 a piece at the time. Dont know what theyre going for now but I do see them on sale now and again. What I liked most is that you can run them while traveling and you can run them in the rain. Helps a great deal to keep air moving and prevent the windows from fogging. I like the profile, I think they are pretty unobtrusive in the closed position and really not bad looking when open.

Havent had any cracking on the flange inside or out. I think its important not to try and force them and dont over-tighten when installing. Just make sure you use enough caulk that you get a bit squeezing out all the way around when snugging the screws down.

Anyway, I like them. I really dont like the look of the covers that need to be installed over the Fantastic Fans to run them while its raining. But thats just me, lots of folks install them. Kinda look like a box on top of the rig to me.

Good luck with your install which ever you buy. Youll need to trim the corners of the skin, inside n out, when you make them large enough to install either brand. No biggy. One othe thing about the Maxxair is that you install just the flange to the roof, then the housing and fan attach to the flange with four screws. Nice design.

Mike
Old 09-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #18
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
I have an ancient Ventilair at present. It still works and runs on a thermostat and is covered by a cowl for running while driving, but rain will bleach in if coming from the rear. I had a LY with a Fantastic Fan, and the lid would automatically lower when it rained, in a few seconds, no need for an extra cowl unless you wanted to run it while driving, and mine lacked the cowl. I will admit that the Maxxair automatic cowl does look really slick, but I am put off by the price difference over the Fantastic Fan, which is a very good unit. No doubt same problems with the fitting to a Classic roof for all fans. I was thinking about using dense foam strips, of the type used for home HVAC systems, shaped to fit the curve, and then caulk.

But...... I am sure that if a person wants a fan that can be used in rain and when driving, and that looks really good, the Maxxair Deluxe would be the choice. And what's another hundred bucks or so?..................
Old 10-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
DeBary , Florida
Hi, I am going to be looking at a 1989 290 with 65k miles. Is there anything I should be looking for that is specific to the 290?
debralinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
DeBary , Florida
1989 290 with 65k miles

Hello All,
I am new to writing on here so may be in the wrong place. If so, sorry and can you point me in the right direction.

Next week I will be looking at a 1989 290. I know the usual things to look for for any motor etc. I also know to look for floor rot and stuff like that.

I would like to know if there is anything specific for the 290 I should be looking at.

Also, is it hard to get parts? What about that wood grain stuff on the side?

Thanks and appreciate all the help can get,
Debra
debralinton is offline   Reply With Quote