Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary

That's strange, our single tank is mounted underneath on the frame, just aft of the duals. The compressor is mounted (nice and dry) inside in the stern beneath one of the beds.
My larger tank is mounted same as yours.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I believe I have the same system with this same tank. I also have a larger tank and I don't know if the larger tank was added at a later time. I'm tired of constantly attending to the air leaks throughout the system. I'm going to keep the air compressor since I believe it is a real work horse. It has been run continuously at times due to air leaks and it lives in the rusty wet rear compartment, yet still runs strong. I want to replace both tanks with a new tank and all new hose and fittings. I'm just wondering why the two tanks and if the little one served a specific purpose? Where have others bought they new tanks and lines?
This appears to be the same tank used in my coach. Mine is secured by a U bolt around the tank and through the forward wall of the compartment. The band of rust around the center of your tank looks like evidence of a U bolt mount. It is the only tank in the system and with the new compressor I installed a couple of years ago the system works beautifully. The tank fills from empty to full pressure in less then 2 minutes and the bags hold the rear of the coach at travel height parked for nearly 2 weeks. By the way with the delay in the height control valve the compressor rarely cycles going down the highway. I would guess the tank is about one gallon capacity.

Good luck, Dan

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream

This appears to be the same tank used in my coach. Mine is secured by a U bolt around the tank and through the forward wall of the compartment. The band of rust around the center of your tank looks like evidence of a U bolt mount. It is the only tank in the system and with the new compressor I installed a couple of years ago the system works beautifully. The tank fills from empty to full pressure in less then 2 minutes and the bags hold the rear of the coach at travel height parked for nearly 2 weeks. By the way with the delay in the height control valve the compressor rarely cycles going down the highway. I would guess the tank is about one gallon capacity.

Good luck, Dan
Yup, it had the U bolt like yours. I took it off in order to tighten the hose fittings at the top. U bolt was so rusted that it broke when taking it off.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dover , Arkansas
airtanks

Try airbagit.com. They make airbag systems for vehicles. Got alldifferent kinds of tanks.Good luck. Jim
Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Kool Girlfriend.