Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Air horns

DD has both electric and air horns. The air horns had not worked since we got het, but this last weekend I decided to try my hand at fixing them. During my research I found several you tube instructional videos, and it looked easy.

No idea if the electric are stock or add on because air horn was not working. Disconnected them anyway, and began working on the air system. First thing I noticed was the solenoid for the air horn was disconnected from a ground. I reconnected it, then I took the back plates off, cleaned them out with compressed air, and shot lots of debris out the front. Then reassembled, turned DD on, and waited for full pressure on the front tank. Pressed the horn and nothing. Turned off the ignition troubleshoot everything and tried again. Turned on the coach, and got the rear tank gull, pressed the horn and psi gauge for the rear tank dropped 10psi and the horns blew! First time they've ever worked, and they sound awesome.
Vycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Air horns

I was cruising the 65 mph speed limit on a long straight flat road heading south out of Buena Vista CO. A car came to the end of a driveway, stopped, looked at me for a few seconds, and pulled right out in front of me. Max braking and full airhorn. Missed him by inches. I guarantee he had skid marks in his shorts. Amazing what people will do to get in front of a truck.

Good testimony to making sure things are secure and strapped in. Including the dog.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Horns on mine are electric, and one isn't functioning properly. Went to HF, got a cheap airhorn set, bought a FREIGHT TRAIN air horn on eBay, will put pump somewhere up front, run hose from pump to roof, somehow. Hoping I can get this done soon, as I'd really like to get the moho on road by end of June......lol
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote