Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Spacepod Ps View Post
I have a quick question regarding AC units, and thought someone might be able to help me out on this one. I bought my rig back in October and since I have found my way south have started to use the AC on occasions.

Has anyone heard of or know why an AC unit would create moisture and make the air in the rig damp?

I've got a 2003 22ft CCD. It was stored for a number of years before I got it so I don't know if that's part of the problem or what. But, if I have it running and leave for a while and come back to it it does feel/ smell moist and damp. Kind of like a cave feels and smells when you go into it after being in the dry sun. I hope that analogy gives you an idea of what I'm dealing with. Or, another way to describe it would be it feels kind of like a swamp cooler.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem if there is one?
The first thing I would do is get a means of measuring the actual humility in the trailer. Once measured I would turn the AC on for some time and recheck. Two things should have happened. The humility should have gone down and there should be water dripping from the drain tube. If these are present the AC is working.

If the humidity is not going down the problem may be the trailer has a leak. If this is the case the AC while attempting to pulling down moisture may also be pulling the smell from the insulation into the cabin area.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2003 22' International CCD
Beaverton , Oregon
Thanks HowieE. That might be the problem. I'll see if I can't measure the humidity levels. Also, since you brought up the possibility of a leak let me throw this at you. During rain storms(It does have to be a pretty good downpour for this to happen) water will start dripping from the AC unit. The AC is not on when this has happened. Again, normal and nothing to worry about or possible leak? Just trying to get a handle on the situation.

Spacepod Ps is offline   Reply With Quote