Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Air Conditioner

Installed a new Coleman Mach 15 A/C yesterday.

Used my ATV trailer for scaffolding. Put walkway between trailer and MH. A bit scary but worked good. Friend that helped is a contractor so no fear on his end. Only thing is, construction folks tend to slap things together. For me, it doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be right. I think I'm going to have to pull top unit up a bit and reposition. It's not really sitting in drain pan correctly. There is a lip on ac and not sure if it should all be sitting inside or outside of lip on drain pan. It was 100 degrees before noon today so that's going to wait for a month or two.

Anyone have a new Mach 15? Control switch on inside ceiling unit is different from instructions. Also trying to figure out if the Mach 15 has one or two cooling speeds. Switch has low cool and high cool. Compressor only comes on on low cool setting. I have the 9330E715 ceiling unit which I believe is supposed to be the correct unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3035188776.png
Views:	159
Size:	882.9 KB
ID:	138042   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1917451824.png
Views:	165
Size:	856.1 KB
ID:	138043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-389235740.png
Views:	182
Size:	854.8 KB
ID:	138044  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
FWIW, I installed a Mach 3 2 weeks ago. It has the 2 speed high/low switch. The compressor comes on using either setting. Maybe you have a unit with a bad switch?
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
@ 3 Dog Nite
I just purchased a Mach 3 for my 1962 24' Tradewind , hoping to install next weekend... Did you get 13500 BTU? Also, was the install easy and are you happy with your purchase?
Angary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Have you been able to get Coleman 15000 BTU running on both positions yet? Love to know if you can notice any difference in cooling. Believe both of mine on my 345 are 13500 BTU, and some days it's a struggle to get it cool inside. Of course, I'm walking inside when it's already hot in there. Replacement units are on top of my 'to-do' list.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Have you been able to get Coleman 15000 BTU running on both positions yet? Love to know if you can notice any difference in cooling. Believe both of mine on my 345 are 13500 BTU, and some days it's a struggle to get it cool inside. Of course, I'm walking inside when it's already hot in there. Replacement units are on top of my 'to-do' list.
Thanks, Derek
It's been so hot up here that I have to run the a/c all day when I'm here so haven't fixed yet. I did call Coleman directly (it's actually not Coleman, but I can't remember the name). They don't like talking to non service people so I pretended I was one. They shipped me out a new switch and a new knob. It is opposite of what I have now and it is the correct one.

It has cooled down a bit so maybe I can work on it.

By the way, I don't know why I didn't do this 3 yrs ago, but I have started to cover all windows with that shiny silver insulation stuff. It is a pain to take on and off everyday, but I can't stand not looking out the windows in the evening and at night. With the window insulation and turning on the air at 8am I have been able to keep the inside around 80 degrees with the outside temp around 100, and that is with the MH parked directly in the sun all day!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
100 outside - 80 inside - that's exactly what the A.C. specs state - namely that the A.C. units on our Airstream trailers are designed to reduce the outside temperature by 20 degrees.
RoccoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Can you face the trailer so the awning side is south, then put the awning out. That should help reduce heat gain on that side. But keep an eye on it because wind can do bad things to an awning.

On another thread Bob Cross suggested setting the thermostat to 60˚ to cool it faster when you turn on the A/C. I guess it makes the compressor run more. It seems to work the times we have tried it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Dad
We put the same 15K A/C on our '02 30' w/ slide in July. The original Penguin unit wouldn't cool adequately. The T'stat is different and will take a little modification to install a cable out of sight, but the unit does a great job of cooling the trlr at least up to 95* outside temp. What did you do for the condensate drip tray and drain tubes- they tell me none is made for this unit ? I think the new name for Coleman might be AirExcel ?
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
AirExcel IS the corporate name for the now defunct 'Coleman' brand (which AirExcel purchased a number of years ago), actually markets these units under the RVP (RV Products) name. The parent company also owns and manufacturers Suburban furnaces.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Question, do all Classic Motorhomes have the drip pan tray? Started up A/C's yesterday to see if they survived the electrical boon-doggle from last week. They survived, but I'm seeing a trail of water coming down side of moho. Is this normal to have water or should it be draining through the drip pan?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRoc
100 outside - 80 inside - that's exactly what the A.C. specs state - namely that the A.C. units on our Airstream trailers are designed to reduce the outside temperature by 20 degrees.
That's what I read too...15 to 20 degrees. I can only get that if I over all windows.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Can you face the trailer so the awning side is south, then put the awning out. That should help reduce heat gain on that side. But keep an eye on it because wind can do bad things to an awning.

On another thread Bob Cross suggested setting the thermostat to 60˚ to cool it faster when you turn on the A/C. I guess it makes the compressor run more. It seems to work the times we have tried it.

Gene
I haven't been lucky enough recently to get a space at the "ranch" with the afternoon sun away from the windshield. I have the thermostat in the ceiling assembly. I have it set at the coldest position. The compressor runs the entire day...from about 8am to around 7-8pm when I shut the a/c off!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan
Dad
We put the same 15K A/C on our '02 30' w/ slide in July. The original Penguin unit wouldn't cool adequately. The T'stat is different and will take a little modification to install a cable out of sight, but the unit does a great job of cooling the trlr at least up to 95* outside temp. What did you do for the condensate drip tray and drain tubes- they tell me none is made for this unit ? I think the new name for Coleman might be AirExcel ?
Dan
Yup, AirExcel is the new name. Still haven't put in new switch nor have I fixed the drain pan yet. I will do what I can to continue to use the existing pan. It still drips down the side of the outside skin. That doesnt bother me that much, just don't want it dripping inside the wall!

I've been busy the last week building my ATV hauler trailer. Sure wish the MH could tow the 20 foot, 6000 lb trailer!