Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We have a 345 diesel, a 1985 model. With the new Low Sulfur diesel our mileage went down. We used to get up to 16mpg, and now it's dropped to 11 or 12. I understand that you can buy additives to boost it up again but haven't done so as of yet.

Keep a close watch on the oil usage. When ever you stop, check it until you know if it uses any oil. Make sure the parking brake works because if you have the Allison Transmission there is no Park.

I try to get No 2 diesel if I can. Pretty hard to find these days. Usually only at truck stops and then it is usually the large nozzle which won't fit in your receptacle.

I bought a Tire Pressure Monitoring System from Truckers Supply and I rely on it now. It reports tire pressure and temp as you go down the road.

A couple years ago I replaced the rear end of our unit. What it did was increase the mph at favorable road speeds. Kinda spendy but it worked out quite well.

Good luck and enjoy!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Cooperhawk and everyone...
I suggest you use Diesel Purge every service, and Power Services Diesel Klean in your tank.
I have an 1984 Mercedes 190D(non-turbo), with almost 200k miles on it and I have proved to myself tank after tank that it adds about 10% to my mpg. It also has a protective componant that these older diesels need with the newer diesel formula. For those that live or pass thru colder climates, Power Services do a version of it with anti-gel too... but here in CA I dont need that!
For the record, I am not a "snake oil" kinda guy, but I have done back to back tests on my Mercedes with Diesel Klean and without, and I get 30/32mpg without and 33/35mpg with it... time after time.
They say that the MPG improvement more than covers the cost of the additive. Most retail car stores have it so you can pick it up anywhere and I buy the bigger container...
Also, Last service I did the Diesel Purge thing, and it made a huge difference to the way the engine starts and runs... The engine sounds much smoother and less clattery now.
Its a bit of a pain to do, as you have to disconnect both the diesel feed and return lines so that the purge does not just get returned to the tank, but its worth it!

DIESEL KLEEN® +Cetane Boost®: Max HP Formula ? use during non-winter months for the ultimate in performance.

LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - Diesel Purge

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thanks. I have been meaning to do this and will give these products a try.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
Thanks. I have been meaning to do this and will give these products a try.
Please do, and report back on what you find..
I can only tell you that the Mercedes guys are the ones that suggested it, and I know I was a little skeptical, but now I know that the Diesel Klean works on my mercedes.... I really cant say I notice any difference in the way it runs with or without... It only had 72hp when it was new, and I am sure a few have escaped in 200,000 miles!
I would have used it just for the protection it gives on these low sulpher fuels... the MPG is a bonus! I like the fact you can buy it anywhere, and I carry the can in the trunk, with one of those 2 stroke plastic syringes... and I just squirt about 3oz in per fill of about 10 gallons(my diesel is only like 14 gallons, but that will take me over 400miles!).

The diesel Purge was noticable when I ran it thru the fuel system, as the engine note softened, and it just sounds smoother than it was. I did not notice any MPG changes, but that is maybe because I put 17x7 wheels and tires on at that time... it may have negated the difference.