Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
accelerator cable for 1982 Isuzu diesel

Has anyone on the forum had to replace the accelerator cable? I have had my MH in for a while for several things and when the mechanic was putting things back together I saw that the plastic housing on the accelerator cable where is leaves the square black metal box on the drivers side was broken and bunching up; it had been hard to use, so this may have been the reason.

The mechanic said he thought this was either an Airstream specific or Isuzu specific part. Anyone have experience with this, even better yet any suggestions on where to find a new one? Thanks again for any help!!
mcplaidpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
pf flyer

1974 20' Argosy 20
Quincy , California
throttle cable replacement

My throttle cable for my 74 20' argosy broke on a trip from N.C.toCa. After much searching for a replacement with out success I went to a shop that specialized in hydraulic contols and cables to operate them. Used my old cable for a pattern and made up a new throttle cable for me. Cost was $57.00 . New cable is very heavy duty, fit perfectly and operates very smoothly. outer housing and inner cable are larger diameter than old cable and much sturdier and should last a very long time. from Alabama to Nor. Cal. worked perfectly. Phil.
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Thank you for your response. I didn't even know where to begin. Isuzu regional distributor advised me a couple days ago that this was an AS part. I have been trying to get in touch with Airstream without luck. I'm in the Dallas area and with all the oilfield business, I should be able to find someone who can build me one.
Thanks for the help!!
dale
Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
FWIW, our MH has two cables in line...referred to as the short cable and(surprisingly!) the long cable. We went to a fleet truck shop in Austin, and they replaced the short cable, so now we know how fast we aren't going, and how many RPM's it takes to do that.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks for the reply Mike.
I was able to get in touch with Randy (877-596-6111 extension 7409) an Airstream customer service representative on Friday who actually walked out and talked to THE AS technician who built my MH--the AS MS conversion to the FRED Isuzu diesel (unfortunately I did not catch his name). The technician stated that AS actually removed the Chevy 454 and replaced it with the Isuzu diesel (he was at least one of the techs who did that). He continued to say that the accelerator cable is the same one that came with the chassis for the 454 chevy engine that GM had installed on the P30 chassis's. I promptly went down to the local chevy light duty truck dealer and ordered one, and it was even in stock--should be in on Monday. Having one in stock surprsed me. The GM part number for this accelerator cable is 1248092 @$73.00. If it's the correct length, I am good to go...FINALLY. Interesting that the same tech is still working at the AS factory 27 years later. Must really be a good place to work!!

For the website, the tech stated AS did NOT modify the accelerator cable on the Isuzu coverted MH's, so the stock Chevy cable should work, and it there should not be any issues. The AS rep also stated that AS made around 300 of these Isuzu diesel converted HM's FRED's. Very cool to be able to talk to someone at AS with corporate history/knowledge--willing to share it, and even take the time to walk out to speak directly to the person who installed the engines, who built my MH, and KNEW the answer to my question/request for help!! EXCELLENT customer service!!

As as side note. Resulting from some major repairs requiring removal of the radiator, etc, I also decided to replace the water pump. Not sure that was such a good idea since it was not leaking or indicating a bearing problem. It's been heck to find a replacement pump that would fit. The bracket that AS had made for the AC compressor is adjacent to the water pump, so the $75 pump will not work; but hopefully the $394 pump will. I FINALLY found it through the regional Isuzu distributor M&L Engines in Houma LA @ 800-960-0068. James was the parts person I spoke with-who is outstanding & very helpful! The Isuzu water pump part number is 1-13650020-0. I don't have it in hand, but I sent the distributor pictures of the old one and James said it was a perfect match...WOO HOO!! Should know for sure on Monday.

Hopefully I can now begin a new adventure of refurbishing of the interior. I'm sure that will be just another pleasant event...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
UHM, I'm looking for a chassis part...

Dale,
I have found out the hard(HARD) way, that saying "Airstream" in the same request for chassis help is an expensive and circuitous route to repairs. DRIVING into a repair place with an AS is a guaranteed way to add the time to repair by at least 3 days, as no matter how much you emphasize chassis style(ours is a P30^^P32 for some of the purists^^, it always comes out A I R S T R E A M. My experience with this is that they call AS, get a tech who says they don't make the 1989 anymore, and they don't have any references to replacement parts. I have explained that the P30(P32) chassis was used for school buses, bread trucks, and delivery trucks to NO avail...IT'S AN AIRSTREAM...we were stuck in Kingman AZ at a Freightliner barn for 10 days, because they kept listing AS as part of the request...we needed a hub for the R front, and we ended up finding the darn thing ourselves, in Minnesota, and buying both in stock(Murpy dictates that if you have another, you'll never need it), paying for the shipping to the shop, and then paying for the installation. We also had to stay in a motel, as the MH was IN the shop, and couldn't be moved. Don't get me wrong...Kingman is a fun town...for about the first 3 days...
I have had to argue rather emphatically with a mechanic that a 454 is a 454, AS or not, and he still called the AS factory to make sure...just want you to know that this is a hurdle you will have to jump, if you mention AS.
Having shared this gloom with you, I can tell you that we won't quit our 9 months a year journey in our 345 until it breaks irrevocably, or I do.
mike
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Hey Mike:
Thanks for the insight. I'm beginning to get a very good understanding for your sage comments. I just hope I haven't made too big of a $$ mistake to try to bring this thing back to life.

I've had my AS in the shop for a little over a year. For background, I made a deal with the shop in which they knew I was not in a big hurry to get it running and agreed to work on it during their slow times (I knew it would take a while, but didn't realize it would be this long!) I really wanted it parked inside while they had it--and it was for a time, but when they got busy last June it was parked outside. Then some nice folks decided to do some target practice (with a .380 caliber)... It's been parked inside ever since.

First rattle out of the box was brake problems. So they replaced both front hubs and rotors and calipers...interestingly some, but not a lot, of problems finding parts (added about....as you stated...3 days). The problem they finally worked through was the brake lines in a couple places up front had to be replaced (those nice hard to get to places).

The economy started going south shortly after the brake work was completed and before they got to the engine. Many people here started repairing their cars instead of buy new ones, so for 6-9 months they didn't work on it (that's when it was used for target practice). Then they were short mechanics willing to work on it, finally finding a mechanic around November. He began working on it again around November/December off and on, and then they ran into problems finding a new harmonic balancer, then probems with finding a water pump (Like you, I had to find these parts); and then the mechanic (the one who took it apart and was the only one who could put it back together...) injured his hand...and was off for 6-8 weeks...

FINALLY, everything was getting back on track and the waterpump I found on Ebay for one heck of a good price would'nt work because of the 'homemade' (as the mechanic called it) air conditioner compressor bracket AS had installed. The new water pump was just slightly differerent and just wouldn't work. Finally I found a new one through the Isuzu regional distriubutor, and lastly (for the moment) I found the accelerator cable from a local light duty chevy dealer. One forum member suggested finding a hydralic/controls shop to build one for me; apparently too many lawyers here in Texas. Most would not even talk to me because of the 'liability' involved in making them for an individual...

Anyway. Hopefully by this Friday, baring anything else, I will have her out of the shop and running like a top. I can now begin to replace many of the house components, etc. ... during the time of year I was hoping to avoid working on it...summer in Texas. We'll see what's around the next corner...
dale
Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
"I didn't know they made those..."

Dale,
Good luck on your ventures...once you take the wheel and head on down the road, you'll wince at the first few speedbumps, then just take 'em in stride...and you won't regret your purchase more than twice a week.
Seriously, the AS MH is the cream of cruising...a few heartaches and heartbreaks, but the finest style of living for the buck...of course, that's just my opinion, and it isn't wrong.
mike