Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
AC Replacement - Carrier in a Classic MH?

Has anyone replaced a front roof air on aClassic motorhome with a 15,000 btu Carrier?

Are you happy with it?

Were there any installation challenges? Did the inside piece fit the roof OK?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
guy99,

There are lots of motorhome owners here that would be happy to help, but a bit more detail such as year, model, length would go a long way towards getting responses that might help your situation.

Also, are you planning to do the work yourself?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
It's an 84 310 Limited. I'd prefer to pay someone to do the install since we are scheduled to leave on a extended trip in a couple of weeks and I don't want to add this item to my critical path.

But, I live over 200 miles from the closest Airstream dealer and wonder if I would have any luck scheduling this with them anyway. So I was hoping to have a local (only 50 miles away) SOB RV shop put it in. I have used them before and they seem to do O.K. but aren't accustomed to working on Airstreams so I'm trying to understand what the challenges are in the install so that I can decide if I think they can do it correctly.

I also want to be sure that this is an appropriate AC for the motorhome.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Most of the dual units where only 13,500 btu's but 15k will certainly work well. If the hole is already there it's really quite and easy (on paper) job to do. I had Camping World do my last install...not on the Airstream.

I've actually just dropped my unit off at DonMar RV for the original install of the 15k ducted unit. Unit will go in the number two position at the rear and then be ducted down the centerline. On my coach I have a lovely swing down center section of headliner.

It's in the shop.... so now I wait.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Your installation sounds interesting. Any chance of pictures after it's done?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[QUOTE=guy99] So I was hoping to have a local (only 50 miles away) SOB RV shop put it in. I have used them before and they seem to do O.K. but aren't accustomed to working on Airstreams so I'm trying to understand what the challenges are in the install so that I can decide if I think they can do it correctly.

If this is a replacement and not a new install the job should be fairly easy for your local shop to handle. Make sure they use Vulcan sealant and not a silicone against the aluminum.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
If I am correct, and I have been told this by both Carrier salesman and members here on the board who have installed, you do NOT used sealer on the AC. It has a gasket the forms a watertight seal when you tighten the outside unit down with the inside unit. And having looked at this installation for a couple of days now I agree, any RV dealer should be able to do it without any problem.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[QUOTE=AYRSTRM2]If I am correct, and I have been told this by both Carrier salesman and members here on the board who have installed, you do NOT used sealer on the AC. It has a gasket the forms a watertight seal when you tighten the outside unit down with the inside unit.

I was not sure if this installation used a sealer or not, my comment was more general. RV dealers who are not accustomed to working with aluminum bodies seem to reach for the silicone sealants without even thinking of the consequences.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
[QUOTE=Chaplain Kent]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
I was not sure if this installation used a sealer or not, my comment was more general. RV dealers who are not accustomed to working with aluminum bodies seem to reach for the silicone sealants without even thinking of the consequences.
I think that sealers come into play when you are dealing with the water catching pans that are present on most factory installed A/S air conditioners. But in the case of placing a unit directly on a roof opening, as told by others there is a self stick gasket that seals the unit to the roof. My only curiosity is whether the gasket alone is enough when you are dealing with pre-wide body Airstreams. Is the curve of the roof greater than what the gasket can accomodate?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
[QUOTE=jcanavera]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent

...whether the gasket alone is enough when you are dealing with pre-wide body Airstreams. Is the curve of the roof greater than what the gasket can accomodate?

Jack
I'll be able to tell shortly, I just ordered one for our '66 Safari...My guess is yes, since it seals right near the vent and the curve still isn't too great right there. But I have even seen the new unit yet. I'll update the thread when I know.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the gasket is rather thick might work, but i bet it leaks. installed two penquins on my unit and they got a good dose of sealer on the pan and the ac unit. the outside edges have a wide gap . but you will only be intrested in sealing the 14x14 opening . worst case seal the inside edges with par bond then it wouldnt leak. dont over do it . if need to remove the ac, you could take a putty knife and cut the par bond and remove the unit without destroying the gasket. the inside ceiling also is curved and can be a problem to seal up to seperate the fresh air intake from the cool air exhaust.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb13798
if need to remove the ac, you could take a putty knife and cut the par bond and remove the unit without destroying the gasket. the inside ceiling also is curved and can be a problem to seal up to seperate the fresh air intake from the cool air exhaust.
Gaskets are meant to be be replaced if you remove any RV airconditioner no matter what the vehicle is. They don't cost much and its just a matter of scraping them off since they are normally double sticky on both sides of the gasket. One side sticks to the A/C unit the other to the roofline of the RV.

I installed one on my old SOB, and if the wiring is there the entire process is a piece of cake. Now doing it on an A/S brings about its own challenges.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Getting ready to install a new Carrier V A/C on my 84. This is the 15k btu model w/heat pump..
Will post pictures..
ciao
53FC..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote