Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Santa Ana , California
AC Compressor part number?

I have an '82 280 turbo diesel that had the factory AC, but the compressor is missing. I am hoping to replace it to have functional dash AC. Is anyone able to get the the part number for the compressor?

Separate question (since I haven't gotten into the project yet): What is under the dash that relates to the AC. I see two knobs that allow settings for the AC. Is there a separate fan unit under there?

Thanks!
Timo
timo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Covington , Louisiana
My gasoline engine uses a Sanden 508 compressor. I'm not sure if it is the same for the diesel. There's an evaporator core, heater core, and blower motor & fan behind the kickpanel in front of the passenger seat.
Bethany533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dash air conditioning systems varied by years of manufacturer. The early Argosies had the heater and evaporator cores in a combined box on the outside of the firewall. The 77 and later Argosies through some of the early classics used separate boxes for the heater core and the evaporator core. I know for certain in 1984 through at least 1986 the heater and evaporator cores were in the same boxes sitting on the passenger side on the inside of the firewall.

I just went through the process myself of trying to find an AC compressor that would work on my Argosy. The AC mounts that I have are from a mid 80s Airstream motorhome so I opted to go with a Sanden 509 compressor. The specific part number is 7819. It's an R134a compressor. This compressor is a direct replacement for a 1986 Airstream with the only difference being it is for R134a, not R12.

The 508 is more of a type designation rather than a part number. Sanden also makes a 509 series that has 7 pistons where the 508 I think has 5. Do some research on Sanden compressors, there's a lot to learn!

Before you buy a compressor verify which type of mounts you have on the engine. If the mounts are cast iron then most likely you would want to use an Frigidaire A6 style of compressor. It's a heavy steel compressor but it's supposed to bullet proof. If you have aluminum mounts on the engine then most likely you would want to buy a Sanden or York compressor. I opted for a Sanden. There are lots of clones of Sanden compressors that are advertised as "Sanden Style". The Sanden Style compressors are made in China. The actual Sanden brand compressors are made in Japan. The one I bought was made in Japan.

True Sanden compressors like the one I bought run around $220 or so.

Hope this helps.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Santa Ana , California
Do you have two separate controls in the center just over the radio for the AC? I am wondering what they are supposed to do since their labels are not so informative (city/highway, for instance).
Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Santa Ana , California
Thank you for the info. The mount for the unit is clearly iron. Should I assume that that narrows it down to an A6 style compressor or were some Sandens mounted that way?

Maybe I'll go take a pic and see if anyone recognizes the mount.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo17 View Post
Do you have two separate controls in the center just over the radio for the AC? I am wondering what they are supposed to do since their labels are not so informative (city/highway, for instance).
My Argosy doesn't have those controls, it uses the typical automotive slider push button combo located in the dash. On yours the knob on the right is a temperature control and the one on the left is the fan speed. There is likely a separate fan for the dash heating system and another fan for the cooling system.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Santa Ana , California
Here is a pic of the mount if it helps identify the compressor.
Thanks
Timo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160718_12_46_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	267148  
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Thank you for the info. The mount for the unit is clearly iron. Should I assume that that narrows it down to an A6 style compressor or were some Sandens mounted that way?

Maybe I'll go take a pic and see if anyone recognizes the mount.
Here's a couple of pictures of the A6 I just installed in Martin's 20' Argosy (aka Peanut). This is the A6 compressor.

Name:	Peanut-ac-compressor-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	267146Click image for larger version

Name:	Peanut-ac-compressor-2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	980.6 KB
ID:	267147

There are adapter mounts for mounting a Sanden compressor in the original style cast iron mounts but the compressor pulley doesn't line up properly, at least on motorhomes.

I think the rebuilt A6 with core return was around $165 with a $50 core. If you don't have a core figure on spending over $200 for a compressor.

Brad
Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Here is a pic of the mount if it helps identify the compressor.
Thanks
Timo
I just realized your's is a diesel and the mounts are totally different. The pictures I posted were from a 454. Based on the shape of the mount in your picture my guess the original was an A6 compressor.

Hopefully one of the diesel guys Tony, Mike, etc will chime shortly in with some better info for you.

This evening I can take some measurements of the A6 compressor I installed and you could compare those to your current mount. That's about all I can help with.

Brad
Old 07-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
My Argosy doesn't have those controls, it uses the typical automotive slider push button combo located in the dash. On yours the knob on the right is a temperature control and the one on the left is the fan speed. There is likely a separate fan for the dash heating system and another fan for the cooling system.
I have both slide controls in the dash (is this the Mustang control?) I also have two knobs in another area on the dash. I'm not in the rig now, but I think this one knob was marked 'city/highway' similar. I don't think the slide controls do anything - wonder if this was modified to the the later style at some point in the MH's history.
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
.....the compressor is missing.
By chance, did the previous owner save the old compressor?? Typically, AC compressors have metal ID tags riveted to the housing. Too little, too late, I know.

What else is missing and/or damaged due to age?? Age of seals and hoses is gonna be a factor. All seals should be replaced. Save old hoses. You'll need the fittings to make new ones. Fittings, not to mention hoses, will be impossible to find.

You'll also want to replace evaporator and condenser. Chances are, they'll hafta be fabricated. Take old ones to an "old-school" radiator shop for advice.

Remember, your AC system has been contaminated for a long time. You have no idea what contaminates are in there.

BTW - This would be a good time to convert to R134A freon.

In the long run, I think you'll be better off replacing everything under the hood with a universal AC kit.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
I have both slide controls in the dash (is this the Mustang control?) I also have two knobs in another area on the dash. I'm not in the rig now, but I think this one knob was marked 'city/highway' similar. I don't think the slide controls do anything - wonder if this was modified to the the later style at some point in the MH's history.
The Mustang control was used from 74-76 with a combined evaporator/heater box on the engine side of the firewall.

In 77 Airstream changed to separate boxes for heat and AC with separate fan systems as well. The heater core was in the passenger foot well and the evaporator core was above the engine.

Sometime in the early 80s they then went back to the combined evaporator/heater box located in the passenger foot well and used a Chrysler temperature control panel similar to the Mustang unit.

Here's a picture of Peanut's dash. The controls in the center are for the air conditioning. The knob on the right is the temperature control and the knob on the left is the fan control. The slider control on the left is for heat/temperature control.

Name:	peanuts-dash.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	267154

If the slider for the heat doesn't work then someone has disconnected something somewhere.

Brad