Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
Community Organizer
2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Originally Posted by swanky View Post
and our mobile RV guy will install a water heater if I can get a good enough deal on an Atwood. We can't just do without hot water, which I'm perfectly willing to do, because the big leak is at the water heater where it can't be bypassed.
Atwood Water Heater - 6 gal LP - Item - Camping World

Fr. Guido

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
FWIW...the water heater may have a circulating line that heats the water with the engine...that may be a source that you could bypass until you're ready to tackle it...?

Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
The problem isn't lack of hot water. I don't mind the lack of hot, but the leak occurs when the water pump is on regardless of whether we are operating the water heater. I thought to bypass the water heater entirely, so we can still have water, but that's where things get hairy as the connections are all sort of jammed under the unit and it does not appear that I can simply disconnect the water heater which would be fine with everyone.
In fact, I'm the only one who uses hot water and our next trips will be at places that have showers, so it's really not necessary to have hot water. Greasy dishes are fine.
I am watching eBay for cheaper units. Camping World's install prices are good, but they charge at least $100-150 more than you can buy the same units for on eBay and those include warranty, too. I'll find my deal and if the seat swap doesn't work out, I think it's all a fairly straightforward removal and replacement that we could do ourselves. Or, at least I could start it, get frustrated when something is not as it should be and call my dependable neighbor, Mr. Fix-it to help me out of the jam.
I just want to have water in the coach--it really does not have to be hot. If I can find a way to bypass the water heater and still have water, that will be our preferred solution.

1982 280 Turbo Diesel Limited
Classic Motorhome
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote