Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
A Silver Lining is going to a new home today

We are all quite sad at her departure, amazed at the amount of stuff we had in her, and excited at the prospect of getting a 310 soon. The buyers are forum members so I should be able to keep up with Silvie and her adventures. The boys are crushed, but eagerly awaiting the 310 (fingers crossed that it works out). We picked up Silvie at the storage on Friday night--she started right up and ran great--and cleaned out our stuff yesterday and then I began cleaning her up for her new owners. When we got her originally, she was not exactly clean, and I would hate for anyone to get the heebiejeebies wondering what was cleaned when. So she is as spotless as a 27 year old house can be. Tires checked, fluids all topped off, big rain yesterday and not a drop inside, all seems to be working. We will drive to Cabela's in Dundee, MI to meet the new owners sometime this afternoon. Hubby wants to drive her one more time so I'll follow behind with the kids. I'm not sure I want any kids in there today given how clean she is and how dirty my children tend to be.
Anyway, thank you to all who have contributed advice and suggestions since we bought her. Our final two trips were flawless and made all those expenditures well worth it. We look forward to many more trips in our next AS motorhome.
Now, if I could only figure out how to remove the classified ad...
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanky View Post
Now, if I could only figure out how to remove the classified ad...
Just open your ad, and click "sold it!", and click "save". It'll delete itself in a couple of days.

Congratulations on the sale, and good luck with the "new" 310.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
You'll love the extra room in the 310, especially with the kids!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
why not go with even more, a 345?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Classified ad is stuck

[quote=overlander63;738657]Just open your ad, and click "sold it!", and click "save". It'll delete itself in a couple of days.

The problem is that it doesn't recognize me and says I'm not a registered user! If a moderator can remove it, please do. I hate having to reply to people that it is sold already.
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Silvie has new owners

We met Silvie's new owners at Cabela's in Dundee, MI and turned her over. They had driven over 10 hours to get there and still beat us there. Of course Silvie gave us a couple of things to worry about as we got ready to leave and while driving there--stuck gas gauge needle and steps being quirky, so I will have my heart in my throat until they get home safely. The new owners knew much more about Airstreams, trailers, and motorhomes than we did so we didn't have to teach anything about the coach, just show them around. The boys decided the new owners would love her and "looked nice" so they felt better about the whole deal. It was nice to meet them and I know Silvie will be looking slick soon with a new decal and paint job. I think (hope) they were pleased with her and am anxious to hear they got home safely and with no problems.
Many thanks to all and I am sorry to those of you still seeing the ad but she is no longer available. I will remove the ad as soon as I can.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Silvie Update:

We are the new owners of Silvie. This was quite the trip with a few minor problems most of which were our fault. Thanks to Swanky for all the work done on our behalf for the long long trip. Trip started out at 8:30pm and drove almost 1 ½ hours to the Cracker Barrel above Dayton, Ohio. Manager let us stay the night…EAT, SLEEP and SHOP. Very nice folks and will send them a thank you note. Made it almost to Dayton, Ohio and something made a loud noise so husband stop on side of interstate to check. Everything checked out OK but had some loss of power, so started again. I was the chase car and Silvie took off with my car keys inside her. They had to go to the next exit, turn around and go back a long way to an exit to come back up and rescue me. Later on after passing Cincinnati, we all stopped at a rest area. Everyone headed to the building for a potty break and I stayed with Silvie. (We couldn’t figure out how to lock the door) I was sitting inside and all of a sudden a big crash. I thought someone ran into us but NO, husband forgot to put her into park and she rolled back into my car. Good thing too or she would have rolled and wrecked big time.

Only problem is POWER. We are enrolling her in a Diesel shop in Chattanooga this week to see if we can get more power. I can relate now to Big Rigs going up a steep hill!!! Silvie bogged down to 40 – 45 MPH going over the Mountains at the Cumberland Plateau starting in Richmond all the way to Knoxville, TN. Going down hill she did great and also on straight runs. I really expected to be able to tow a very small car with her but Silvie probably will not be able to do it. I hope the Diesel shop can help or we are in big trouble. Silvie drove great. Very solid, straight with little effort to control even in heavy traffic. (And did we ever go thru some bad construction zones!) Very comfortable seats with little fatigue….just slow going at 55 MPH which she preferred. I may need help or advice later on so thanks in advance for all your help.
1958 Traveler 18'
1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hello owenslander,
Other than the loud noise you heard outside of Dayton (be interested to hear what that turns out to be. Was there smoke?) your experience doesn't sound abnormal. I'm referring to the speed and power of the turbo diesel. These are geared to be 55 Mph machines. With the three speed transmission you won't get much faster going up hills unless you down shift. I noticed on my recent 1300 mile trip that our 81 was real happy at 2250 RPM (~56Mph). And I averaged 14.77 Mpg. So unless you find something broke (like a turbo?) this is normal. I'm planning to add a gear vendors or US gear over/under drive (auxiliary transmission) to get a little more out of ours.
-KL
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
They are slow, even with a o.d. I like that 15 mpg, though. Silverback must have a rare coach: 55 mph @ 3200 rpm is the factory set-up. With the U.S. Gear O.D., we get 65 mph @ 3200.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We did have some smoke, burping and farting. I was tempted to rename her Princess Smokealota but it eventually got better. Does that sound like a Turbo and if so is that expensive???? I really don't mind going 55 MPH with 14.5 miles per gallon but we really need to tow something behind. I will keep everyone posted.
1963 Bambi
owenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
UHM...5-6 mpg with a 345 LE, towing a Geo Tracker...all overloaded...454 gas carbed engine...15-25 mph going over the passes in Colorado(or anywhere else, for that matter)...I AM the guy I used to get stuck behind, and it doesn't bother me, either...peace of mind in doing our own thing???priceless...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
UHM...5-6 mpg with a 345 LE, towing a Geo Tracker...all overloaded...454 gas carbed engine...15-25 mph going over the passes in Colorado(or anywhere else, for that matter)...I AM the guy I used to get stuck behind, and it doesn't bother me, either...peace of mind in doing our own thing???priceless...m
Mike,
You are scaring me.
By the way, I received your letter today. Thank you for the info.
Karen
sharptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Karen,
If the mileage scares you, you just pull over somewhere nice for awhile...and you CAN!!!lovely lifestyle, ain't it...?m
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Karen,
If the mileage scares you, you just pull over somewhere nice for awhile...and you CAN!!!lovely lifestyle, ain't it...?m
Can't wait. One more month until I get it back from the mechanic so it is safe to use. Maybe we can start using it next summer.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Come see us at Quartzsite...we will also be having a Thanksgiving rally you could come to out there...we'll(hopefully) be there all winter...m
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Come see us at Quartzsite...we will also be having a Thanksgiving rally you could come to out there...we'll(hopefully) be there all winter...m
Mike,
I wish we could, but family is here and Jay is the oldest. His mom is here in assisted living and this my be the last year she truly recognizes any of us.

Also, "Black Friday" for the store, although we usually don't have a pickup in business until the last 10 days before Christmas.

Karen