Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A Painted Classic?

There is a 1994 painted classic on eBay. Owner stated it is newly painted silver over the aluminum and not clear coated. Was this the way they manufactured the newer classics? If so when did they start painting them?
Item # 4608792242
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I looked at this unit on ebay and am surprised that there is no tag axle. I would think that the unit would be hard to handle. The 345 when it first came out without the tag was very squirrely so they added the tag. This one is even longer.
I do like the 220 cummins. That is a very good engine.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
There is a 1994 painted classic on eBay. Owner stated it is newly painted silver over the aluminum and not clear coated. Was this the way they manufactured the newer classics? If so when did they start painting them?
Item # 4608792242
BigAl on the forum here has a painted Classic. He had it up in Morraine View last June. It was a '90s trailer apparently produced when Airstream had so much problem with the clear coats. If I remember right he said that the clear coat had problems as soon as it left the factory. Airstream didn't feel that they could resolve the issue so the dealer had it painted. I think Al bought this trailer new from the dealer and it had already been painted.

It looked great. I kept walking around it saying something was different but I couldn't figure out what it was. It has a high gloss level so its not flat like an Argosy would be.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
chaplain kent and others....

as jack notes it's really hard to tell......even up close. here's a pic of a clearcoat only with accent paint....about the same vintage as the ebay unit.

pigmented paint can be a better way to handle skin issues on some units....

i'm not sure there was ever 'one' policy on painting....my 79 moho came from the factory painted......but it was ordered that way.

there was the year that clearcoat on the trailers was so bad that many were painted silver (like bigal's)....94 i think...first year of the wide bodies....but i'm not sure how that applied to the moho line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classic moho.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	18110  
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
chaplain kent and others....

as jack notes it's really hard to tell......even up close. here's a pic of a clearcoat only with accent paint....about the same vintage as the ebay unit.

pigmented paint can be a better way to handle skin issues on some units....

i'm not sure there was ever 'one' policy on painting....my 79 moho came from the factory painted......but it was ordered that way.

there was the year that clearcoat on the trailers was so bad that many were painted silver (like bigal's)....94 i think...first year of the wide bodies....but i'm not sure how that applied to the moho line.

Just some observations on painting aluminum:
As an owner of 2 Avion trailers over a 23 year period, and having friends with Airstreams during the same time , I've concluded that there is no perfect way to treat aluminum. Avions were anodized, beginning in 1966 and continuing until the last two production years ('89 and '90), when they were painted. The anodized ones oxidized badly - which caused no damage to the aluminum, but looked bad . Some owners of those eventually had them painted. Likewise, I've known a number of Airstream owners who painted their units after frustration over the failure of the clearcoat. My MoHo is Plasticoated (redone by JC in 2002), but the roof is already peeling badly . From what I've seen of the painted aluminum vehicles of both brands, the owners seem very satisfied.

Tim
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
_

. , .
i agree tim

was very satisifed with a painted airstream....and it's a good option for the new skin than isn't so great for polishing.....

so the avions were anodized?

we were discussing that issue in another thead with pictures of wallys gold trialer....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ned-20478.html

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i agree tim

was very satisifed with a painted airstream....and it's a good option for the new skin than isn't so great for polishing.....

so the avions were anodized?

we were discussing that issue in another thead with pictures of wallys gold trialer....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ned-20478.html

cheers
2air'
Thanks for the thread on Wally's gold Airstream. From the looks of the photos, I'd say it's definitely anodized. The streaking and fading are trademarks of that. Someone on the that thread was saying they thought Avion used a gold anodized strip, but that was Silver Streak. It sort of became their signature i.d. Silver Streak was all anodized, just like Avion, but they put the gold strip to distinguish them from other aluminum trailers. I would agree with one of the thread participants that anodized (which is an electrolytic process) is good in theory. The aluminum becomes much harder and less prone to dings. The down side is that the oxidation, which can clearly be seen on Wally's gold Airstream, is a constant battle. It can only be prevented by keeping a vehicle meticulously waxed, and stored indoors. I've know a few Avion owners who kept their trailers from oxidizing, but it took an enormous effort. They used a product called MetAll which requires great effort to apply and even more to get off. Also, once the oxidation starts, there's really no way to bring back the original satin finish - another characteristic of anodized aluminum. The other difference in Avion was the insulation was sprayed-on urethane foam. It was applied to the inside of the outer skin during assembly. That added to the hardness of the outer skin, and made for some additional protection from leaks. Bottom line - oxidation doesn't "hurt" the skin and makes it somewhat stronger, but it sure gets ugly.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-02-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
At the vintage rally I wrote about in the Forum's January newsletter there was a 75 Tradewind with the roof painted. The owner did a beautiful job and it looked terrific. I can not remember who it is but know he is on the forums maybe he will chime in on how he did it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
At the vintage rally I wrote about in the Forum's January newsletter there was a 75 Tradewind with the roof painted. The owner did a beautiful job and it looked terrific. I can not remember who it is but know he is on the forums maybe he will chime in on how he did it.
I've seen some painted roofs. Was that one silver? Some of the ones are white like what Airstream is doing with its newer trailers. The ones I've seen painted silver, regardless of brand (as long as they were "aircraft" type) really looked good.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-02-2006, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Roof painted

Good Morning everyone.. Our Argosy roof is painted with the same stuff used on the school buses in the south.. keeps the trailer cooler... Will do the same with the next one we get in the future.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Good Morning everyone.. Our Argosy roof is painted with the same stuff used on the school buses in the south.. keeps the trailer cooler... Will do the same with the next one we get in the future.. Annie
Is that paint, or something like Koolseal, a white rubberized coating? By the way, nice looking Argosy . My dad has a '72, 22' that's been completely painted several times, but he's had it since 1979.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I looked at this unit on ebay and am surprised that there is no tag axle. I would think that the unit would be hard to handle. The 345 when it first came out without the tag was very squirrely so they added the tag. This one is even longer.
I do like the 220 cummins.
Jim,
Just an FYI - the 360 came in a diesel pusher verison on a spartan chassis. That's why there is no tag axle. Very nice looking units, but I kind of like the lines better on the 360's with the tags (gassers).
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Kool Seal

Hello Tim.. Yes that is what it is.. Thanks for the compliment.. Hubby did all the work.. does autobody repair.. When we came to Fla for the winter in Oct.. the temp was in the mid 80's.... our a/c was toast.. between the roof and the fantastic fans we were comfortable.. but did replace the a/c.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #14
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Jim,
Just an FYI - the 360 came in a diesel pusher verison on a spartan chassis. That's why there is no tag axle. Very nice looking units, but I kind of like the lines better on the 360's with the tags (gassers).
I agree. I like the tag look also. That still looks like a lot of over hang back there. Years ago I drove a tractor trailer with a 220 cummins. It was a very good engine.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello Tim.. Yes that is what it is.. Thanks for the compliment.. Hubby did all the work.. does autobody repair.. When we came to Fla for the winter in Oct.. the temp was in the mid 80's.... our a/c was toast.. between the roof and the fantastic fans we were comfortable.. but did replace the a/c.. Annie
Annie,

Just two thoughts...How did you decide where to stop the coating as you came down the sides and ends? How did you apply the Koolseal - brush, roller, or what? I've never seen a MoHo with the roof coated, but I would consider it on mine. I noticed last summer (before it belonged to me ) that heat was a major problem around the ceiling. Now that the Plasticoat is getting so bad up there, I'm wondering about a coat of coolseal ...
AIR # 5648
Old 02-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Jim,

Steven (and Jim),

Seems to me that all the weight of the engine at the rear without a tag could be a handling problem? I heard the early 345s came without tags, but owners pushed for one to handle the overhang. And they were all front-engine units, correct?
AIR # 5648
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking

As far as I know, all the 345s were front engine.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Annie,

Just two thoughts...How did you decide where to stop the coating as you came down the sides and ends? .
I would draw a line right along the bottom of the awning which on mine would line up with the clearance lights.
I need to search out the gentleman with the 75 Tradewind. He is from Minnesota and has a spot in the Airstream park in Minnesota. He is also a very nice person who was eager to explain how he painted the roof of his trailer. Come on there has to be someone else who was at the Region 7 Vintage Rally, Duquette, MN last fall.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
On my 280 you can pretty much draw a rectangle on the roof using the flatter area..this would be where I would paint it white if doing so. I have thought about it..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
I would draw a line right along the bottom of the awning which on mine would line up with the clearance lights.
I need to search out the gentleman with the 75 Tradewind. He is from Minnesota and has a spot in the Airstream park in Minnesota. He is also a very nice person who was eager to explain how he painted the roof of his trailer. Come on there has to be someone else who was at the Region 7 Vintage Rally, Duquette, MN last fall.
Kent and Alan,

What about the front? My Plasticoat is peeling right down to the windshield, but it doesn't look (speculating ) like taking white to that point would look bad. Any thoughts? I agree with the awning line. That's also where the peeling seems to stop.
AIR # 5648