Old 02-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
I did the entire roof painting job outside. While applying the paint I made sure I was in the shade. I would recomend being inside or at least in shade if you have the resource. I did all my sanding with an electric orbital sander. Porter Cable random orbit 5" sander. Model 97355.http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/s...orbit_sanders/.
Thanks. That's good news. I can probably deal with that, but I certainly don't have the resources to put the MoHo in an enclosed building, especially for several days. Also, thanks for the sander info. I don't have one already. Now, if I can get Alan, Kent, and Steven to help me decide just how far forward to come toward the windshield, and what OUR color decision is going to be , I can begin to plan the project . OK, guys, what's the consensus about color and coverage area ?

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Actually I'm trying to get someone to do the job for me, and am not too fussy about the color. You notice that Alan has not chimed in with an offer to do it at the rally?

Old 02-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Actually I'm trying to get someone to do the job for me, and am not too fussy about the color. You notice that Alan has not chimed in with an offer to do it at the rally?
Frankly, I was sort of hoping the same thing . I think Alan must have figured us out ,
AIR # 5648
Old 02-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, I'm not certain but if memory serves me the Kool Seal stuff can have a chalking effect as it ages. This means that you'll get nasty white runoff streaks. I lived in a mobile home in Florida where the old roof ran white rivers after a rain.
I'm for a real paint, regardless of color. Besides don't you want the slickest, aerodynamic finish?
I'm still of a mind to paint my topsides with a chrome paint. Perhaps using a white top for heat reflection.
My unit came from AS with the bottom blue and the top painted silver/gray.
Works for me.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #47
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
On my last house I used the Kool Seal stuff on a section of flat roof on my patio and storage room. After a year of Phoenix sun it had discolored and need to be recoated.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Tim, I'm not certain but if memory serves me the Kool Seal stuff can have a chalking effect as it ages. This means that you'll get nasty white runoff streaks. I lived in a mobile home in Florida where the old roof ran white rivers after a rain.
I'm for a real paint, regardless of color. Besides don't you want the slickest, aerodynamic finish?
I'm still of a mind to paint my topsides with a chrome paint. Perhaps using a white top for heat reflection.
My unit came from AS with the bottom blue and the top painted silver/gray.
Works for me.
Glen,

I know you're correct, but I am just dreading all the prep and lack of an indoor place to work. The new Kool Seal is a lot more like a thin rubberized coating than the earlier stuff. They still make the old, but this new stuff does last longer. They call it "elastomeric", but I still don't believe it's up to the job, and you are surely correct. We've got Bradjun1's experience with the Interlux, which apparently works, but does require quite a bit of prep. You may have the best overall solution with the chrome paint. The type I'm familiar with is based on aluminum paint, and would not be very noticeable on the upper portions. Are you thinking of brushing it on? What about prep?
AIR # 5648
Old 02-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
On my last house I used the Kool Seal stuff on a section of flat roof on my patio and storage room. After a year of Phoenix sun it had discolored and need to be recoated.
I've used this newer stuff on my last trailer as recently as the past 5 years. I haven't had it streak, but I have noticed it darkens every year. After a few years I've had to repeat the process. Not that hard, but probably not a good idea for a MoHo, or an Airstream-shaped trailer either.

By the way, I looked at your photos. Quite a shine on that Tradewind.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, check out this site for chrome paint.
http://www.alsacorp.com/generic/chrome/chrome.html
With my unit in daily use I'm not ever going to polish and maintain it so paint would be the way for me to accomplish my end dream look.
I'd like to leave the bottom as is and just do the topside. I may paint the very top a reflective white to help minimize the heat soak.
Way back in 1982 I had what I believe was the first ever black chrome gas tank on my '81 Honda Magna. I got high sided and dented the tank so while having my side covers chromed over the winter my buddy at the chrome shop volunteered to experiment with my tank. Black chrome (rapidly oxidized chrome) was a very new technology back then. The result was amazing and stopped even seasoned Harley guys in their tracks down at Daytona in '83. So long story short, I'm a chrome lover in case you didn't get that.
Just remembered something else, if you go through the Alsa website they have someone in our area I think. I tried to contact someone in VA but didn't get a reply. I think it might have been VABeach. Your GearVendors unit will look like a bargain vs. using this material on your coach.....

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote