Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My thoughts would be some kind of division line. I do have a black line towards the roof area that could be extended all the way around the coach. The line would be right above the windshield and make a nice break between the painted and aluminum surfaces. I too have oxidized areas on the roof that would look better painted. That seems like such a permanent solution.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Roof coatings: In the NW we don't worry too much about sun and heat, just RAIN!!! I've coated several Airstreams (4 of my own) with the Elixer's fibered aluminum roof topping. However, I DO NOT follow the directions on the can. I thin the coating just enough so that it will paint on smoothly with a disposable brush. I always scrub the roof with hot detergent and a little bleach to remove all the moss and dirt. Any corrosion spots are sanded lightly with 400g wet/dry abrasive or sanding sponges work well, too. I do the work inside to keep bird, tree, and other stuff off, and it's usually raining here. It takes 2 coats with about 3 to 4 days to cure between, depending on temperature and air flow. By thinning the mixture, it looks very much like the high-impact paint used on rocker panels. I paint down to the awning rail (if there is one) and to just past the first lengthwise rivit line where there is no awning. Front and back divisions are just beyond the first crossrib line of rivits, front and rear. I use blue masking tape to make a neat edge. You can hardly see the topping from the ground and the grey color blends in well. I've tracked one trailer for 14 years before the coating had to be redone and it lived outside all the time. Of course, this means getting on the roof, crawling around carefully, not causing any dents. I have a small plywood platform that fits across the trailer top to the first rivit line on either side where there are lengthwise supports in the roof and I try not to paint myself into a corner away from the ladder. My current trailer, a '65 Tradewind, has this treatment. Someday when I'm smarter I'll figure out how to post some photos. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Roof coatings: In the NW we don't worry too much about sun and heat, just RAIN!!! I've coated several Airstreams (4 of my own) with the Elixer's fibered aluminum roof topping. However, I DO NOT follow the directions on the can. I thin the coating just enough so that it will paint on smoothly with a disposable brush. I always scrub the roof with hot detergent and a little bleach to remove all the moss and dirt. Any corrosion spots are sanded lightly with 400g wet/dry abrasive or sanding sponges work well, too. I do the work inside to keep bird, tree, and other stuff off, and it's usually raining here. It takes 2 coats with about 3 to 4 days to cure between, depending on temperature and air flow. By thinning the mixture, it looks very much like the high-impact paint used on rocker panels. I paint down to the awning rail (if there is one) and to just past the first lengthwise rivit line where there is no awning. Front and back divisions are just beyond the first crossrib line of rivits, front and rear. I use blue masking tape to make a neat edge. You can hardly see the topping from the ground and the grey color blends in well. I've tracked one trailer for 14 years before the coating had to be redone and it lived outside all the time. Of course, this means getting on the roof, crawling around carefully, not causing any dents. I have a small plywood platform that fits across the trailer top to the first rivit line on either side where there are lengthwise supports in the roof and I try not to paint myself into a corner away from the ladder. My current trailer, a '65 Tradewind, has this treatment. Someday when I'm smarter I'll figure out how to post some photos. Darol
Darol and Kent,

All good info. I've done the fibered aluminum roof coating on my two Avion trailers with excellent results. Did them just about the way Darol described. The two issues with my MoHo are whether I can successfully switch to white (probably Kool Seal white elastomeric roof coating - almost certainly very close, if not exactly, what Airstream is putting on their new trailers) and have it look OK, and how to do the line where the front cap meets the patio side awning? That rail is higher than the top of the front window line, but there's a seam there I think could successfully be the demarcation. The street side has the awning rails in line with the top of the windshield, so that should work. I live in Virginia, and it gets very hot during the summers. The white does reflect heat better, and would pretty much guarantee no leaks from the roof area (not that I've had any). Darol's techniques are very helpful regardless of which coating is used. Thanks.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
re where to paint kool seal

Hello everyone.. Hubby, Marvin painted from awning rail to other side where side is riveted to top.. cannot see it unless you are standing away and up.. and he painted from top of end cap to other end cap start.. looks great.. and guess what .. we did not have any leaks before and don't have to worry about leaks on the Argosy.... on our Tradewind we had.. you would not believe where the leaks could and did come in from... We would do this all over again on any Airstream or vintage trailer we get in the future.. Will post a pic later of Argosy roof.... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello everyone.. Hubby, Marvin painted from awning rail to other side where side is riveted to top.. cannot see it unless you are standing away and up.. and he painted from top of end cap to other end cap start.. looks great.. and guess what .. we did not have any leaks before and don't have to worry about leaks on the Argosy.... on our Tradewind we had.. you would not believe where the leaks could and did come in from... We would do this all over again on any Airstream or vintage trailer we get in the future.. Will post a pic later of Argosy roof.... Annie
Annie,

Please tell us what method you hour Hubby used to apply the paint. Did he brush, roll, or spray (unlikely)?

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 02-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Application

Sorry .. He rolled it on.. and brushed around the fantastic fans and a/c.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I finally remembered who the gentleman was at the rally. He had a 74 Tradewind, beautifully polished and restored. The roof was painted and I did find a posting where he described what he used.

"I used Interlux Brightside Blu-Glo White. The color is great and it brushes on with almost no brush marks. I used the roll & tip method which is explained on the Interlux web site. I used 1qt. for a 25 foot trailer."

If I could do the roof on Chummy and get it to come out half as good I would be very happy.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I finally remembered who the gentleman was at the rally. He had a 74 Tradewind, beautifully polished and restored. The roof was painted and I did find a posting where he described what he used.

"I used Interlux Brightside Blu-Glo White. The color is great and it brushes on with almost no brush marks. I used the roll & tip method which is explained on the Interlux web site. I used 1qt. for a 25 foot trailer."

If I could do the roof on Chummy and get it to come out half as good I would be very happy.
I checked out the Interlux Brightside Blu-Glo White, and it's a polyurethane all-purpose product. I wonder if Kool Seal's Elastomeric Roof Coating is better/worse to use? It's an acrylic resin based product that has somewhat of a "rubbery" consistency when cured. Expands and contracts with heat and cold. I'd like to make the best choice if I get into this project. I'd hate to have to do it twice, or strip one off to use the other.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
this stuff is only 20+ bucks a quart? If it holds up well it might be just the ticket to do the very top of my 280. I would be happy to have that area painted, its so hard to keep up.
What are your thoughts on another color...I see it comes in greys.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
I'm leaning towards the Interlux. It's not expensive, relatively, and with Annie's Hubby having tracked a trailer for like 15 years with no problems, we've got that experience to help decide. I know Kool Seal won't last that long. I've used it before, and the newer elastomeric stuff is better than the older product, it still doesn't last but a few years. What do you think, Seattle Gray #4205? That would keep things "silver", but I still think a white (maybe the Blu-Glow White #4259) might make the inside cooler. Tough call . How far down your roof are you planning to go, particularly in the front?
AIR # 5648
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #31
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Seems to me that all the weight of the engine at the rear without a tag could be a handling problem? I heard the early 345s came without tags, but owners pushed for one to handle the overhang. And they were all front-engine units, correct?
Tim,
The 345s were all pullers. Most were gassers, a chosen few were diesels and one than I know of was a Cummins puller.

The 360's came on both P30 pullers and Spartan pushers.

Acutally, I think the handling would be terrific up on an air ride, air brake pusher chassis, different than the puller but I'll bet better. The few pushers I've driven were amazing machines. It's like driving your living room down the highway - so smooth.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #32
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I like the colored roof paint. Seems like a nice solution to peeling rooflines and less obvious than a white roof.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Tim,
The 345s were all pullers. Most were gassers, a chosen few were diesels and one than I know of was a Cummins puller.

The 360's came on both P30 pullers and Spartan pushers.

Acutally, I think the handling would be terrific up on an air ride, air brake pusher chassis, different than the puller but I'll bet better. The few pushers I've driven were amazing machines. It's like driving your living room down the highway - so smooth.
Steve,
I'm sure you're correct about the pusher advantages. I have air ride on front and rear on my 370, and I understand it's smoother than the ones with air only in the rear. I do have to say that I really don't like the engine underneath me. It's noisy, a little smelly, and hot. I've never driven a pusher, but I can see the advantages. Working on them can't be any harder than the front jobs .
AIR # 5648
Old 02-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I like the colored roof paint. Seems like a nice solution to peeling rooflines and less obvious than a white roof.
I hate to say it, but I think you're right . Somehow, putting a white roof on that beautiful silver coach just seems wrong . It would also be less obvious if one paints down to the top of the windshield like I need to do. That's where the peeling stops in the front. I suspect the heat issue wouldn't be much better or worse either.
AIR # 5648
Old 02-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
I'm leaning towards the Interlux. It's not expensive, relatively, and with Annie's Hubby having tracked a trailer for like 15 years with no problems, we've got that experience to help decide.
Sorry, that was Darol, not Annie's Hubby who tracked a trailer for 14 years. He was also using fibered roof coating, not Interlux. Apologize...
AIR # 5648
Old 02-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Painted roof

Sorry to be getting in on this thread so late but I just became aware of it. I am the fellow from Minnesota who Chaplin Kent has refered to in this thread. I have a 74 Tradewind that I have mostly restored and I painted the roof white. I used Interlux Blue-Glo white. It is a marine paint ment to on aluminum .It is a very bright white. It is a one part polyurathane so you don't need to mix any hardeners in. It is brushable and very easy to bursh out. I used the roll and tip method which is described on the Interlux web site. I rolled it on with a foam roller and then brushed it lightly with the tips only of a fine brushin one direction. There are almost no brush marks. Do not over brush it or you will get brush marks. Don't be discouraged after the first coat it will look too thin.It took 2 coats to cover completely. To prep I stripped of all the clear coat, sanded with 220 then 400 then 600. I then wiped it very good with a tack cloth and brushed 2 coats on. It drys very fast so you can do 2 coats in an afternoon. I also masked around to edge as not to get paint on my new polish job. I am very happy with the appearance. I have pictures posted on the forum under Bradjun1's pictures. None are of the roof. Hope this will help . Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #37
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Tim,
You should drive a pusher sometime....although it is the one thing that could seperate me from my Airstream someday.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #38
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Cool WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
Sorry to be getting in on this thread so late but I just became aware of it. I am the fellow from Minnesota who Chaplin Kent has refered to in this thread. I have a 74 Tradewind that I have mostly restored and I painted the roof white. I used Interlux Blue-Glo white. It is a marine paint ment to on aluminum .It is a very bright white. It is a one part polyurathane so you don't need to mix any hardeners in. It is brushable and very easy to bursh out. I used the roll and tip method which is described on the Interlux web site. I rolled it on with a foam roller and then brushed it lightly with the tips only of a fine brushin one direction. There are almost no brush marks. Do not over brush it or you will get brush marks. Don't be discouraged after the first coat it will look too thin.It took 2 coats to cover completely. To prep I stripped of all the clear coat, sanded with 220 then 400 then 600. I then wiped it very good with a tack cloth and brushed 2 coats on. It drys very fast so you can do 2 coats in an afternoon. I also masked around to edge as not to get paint on my new polish job. I am very happy with the appearance. I have pictures posted on the forum under Bradjun1's pictures. None are of the roof. Hope this will help . Brad
Great polish job! I had to put my sunglasses on to look at the pictures

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
WOW! Now that's what I call a shine. Unfortunately, or maybe not, my 89 MoHo has a SATIN finish Plasticoat. The aluminum is not even particularly shiny even when the coating peels off and I wax it. At 37 feet, I'm beginning to get discouraged with the idea of stripping such a large area - even if it's just the roof. I also don't have an adequate building to do this in, so that makes things even more difficult. I'm starting to think I'm getting back to square one .
AIR # 5648
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have seen Bradjun's trailer and it is more beautiful than the picture can ever show. The white roof blends perfect with the polished body and as he says you can see no brush marks. I like the idea that it can be applied with a roller and you do not have to use a sprayer. I wonder about applying it in the sunlight?
Alan, how about you trying it on Chummy during the rally in April? Maybe you can hold a seminar on roof painting.