Chestfield , Kent
Simple answer to not polishing....buy an Argosy they are 'meant to be painted'

Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #72
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Punch,

Thanks for the suggestion, but after I abandon and scrap my Airstream, my next coach will be a Prevost. I promise to send you a window.

Gotta love that polished stainless.

Seeing the light finally and buying Canadian!

Martin, an Argosy 20' or 24' is definitely on my list.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Punch,

I knew we'd agree on something eventually.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #74
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Punch,

I knew we'd agree on something eventually.
The brother in law of a good friend was a salesman at Guaranty RV in Junction City, Oregon, who at one time claimed to be the biggest RV dealership in America, although I don't know if that still holds. They had a promo on Prevost coaches one year, giving away a free Suzuki Jeep with each one sold. My friend asked him how many Jeeps they could give away and still break even on the deal, and after thinking about it he replied "Four".
Old 10-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
I believe that with some things that are special, and certainly when they have survived for a longer than expected period, you are merely the custodian. The thing, in fact, owns you. You will be the custodian until you hand it over the the next in line. I am not averse to tinkering and improving, but any classic vehicle, antiquarian book, antique item of furniture, or old painting has seemingly earned a right to existence in the manner in which it was conceived and constructed. I am an animist, the most primitive of religious forms, and am quite certain that the nature of an object made by human artifice gathers a spirit of its own, which grows over time with the treatment that it receives.
Well, if my 1972 Streamline is sentient, then it made a grave mistake in choosing me as Custodian.

Back on topic - I like polished trailers and motorhomes. Sorry, that should read, I like other people's polished trailers and motorhomes. I found myself an anodized trailer so I would not get sucked into the polishing vortex. The full-monte on the Streamline will take enough time, as it is.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #76
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Well, if my 1972 Streamline is sentient, then it made a grave mistake in choosing me as Custodian.
They know, you know...........

Some dark night, she'll remind you. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Back on topic - I like polished trailers and motorhomes. Sorry, that should read, I like other people's polished trailers and motorhomes. I found myself an anodized trailer so I would not get sucked into the polishing vortex. The full-monte on the Streamline will take enough time, as it is.
A wonderful trailer, and yes, on balance, I like the original look. Washed and waxed and prettied up for sure, but that driving around pulling a wall of wavy and dinged up mirrors does not appeal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	streamline.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	250762
Old 10-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
The brother in law of a good friend was a salesman at Guaranty RV in Junction City, Oregon, who at one time claimed to be the biggest RV dealership in America, although I don't know if that still holds. They had a promo on Prevost coaches one year, giving away a free Suzuki Jeep with each one sold. My friend asked him how many Jeeps they could give away and still break even on the deal, and after thinking about it he replied "Four".
Punch,

Unless you are MADE of money, you don't want to be the first owner of a Prevost. With several years, and only 30K miles on them, they sell for a half MILLION off their original price. Problem is, when something stops working, you probably need half that much to fix them.

..Which is why I'll still be polishing my Airstream for many years to come; so don't hold your breath for MY windows!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #78
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Punch,

Unless you are MADE of money, you don't want to be the first owner of a Prevost. With several years, and only 30K miles on them, they sell for a half MILLION off their original price. Problem is, when something stops working, you probably need half that much to fix them.

..Which is why I'll still be polishing my Airstream for many years to come; so don't hold your breath for MY windows!!!
Somebody has to prop up our economy! Beaver trappers and seal hunters are all skint (as the British would say), lobsters down the toilet, and the world market for pemmican has dried up!

I was counting on those windows........
Old 10-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
So you think old Airstream Classic Motorhomes are hard to work on....then go ahead and buy that old Prevost. You will soon see that no two were built the same. Better have the Good Sam Roadside Package too. Towing starts at a thousand dollars, then try and find someone that can work on them, parts...good luck. You will need a reverse mortgage just to pay for the maintenance required to keep it roadworthy. And lastly, after the novelty of owning one wears off after three months you are stuck with the payments for the next ten years. The Airstream Classics always turn heads and the "WOW" factor never wears off. Regards, Bob
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Being a Brit, and in my youth in the 70's...
When I polished mine, it reminded me of the lyrics in Squeeze's Cool for Cats...

On seeing my reflection
I'm looking slightly rough
I fancy this, I fancy that
I wanna be so flash
I give a little muscle
And I spend a little cash

Old 10-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #82
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
So you think old Airstream Classic Motorhomes are hard to work on....then go ahead and buy that old Prevost. You will soon see that no two were built the same. Better have the Good Sam Roadside Package too. Towing starts at a thousand dollars, then try and find someone that can work on them, parts...good luck. You will need a reverse mortgage just to pay for the maintenance required to keep it roadworthy. And lastly, after the novelty of owning one wears off after three months you are stuck with the payments for the next ten years. The Airstream Classics always turn heads and the "WOW" factor never wears off. Regards, Bob

I guess if you can afford one you don't care......

What I notice is how many of that level of expensive MH I see parked outside fancy hotels...... Hmm. Presumably so the chauffeur and maid have somewhere to sleep.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I have noticed that, funny you should say !
Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
None of my Prevost buddies honestly don't even know how much money they have. They just know that they're spending the crap out of it so their whiny spoiled kids won't get an inheritance lol. Oh also, when you see those buses parked outside of hotels, most of the time I guarantee those are band buses on tour. Now if it's outside of a Four Seasons of Ritz...different story. Lol. Sorry but when I can afford a brand new (well for me it's Newell or nothing as far as buses go) bus screw hotels. That's why I got my first Moho to begin with. Now. Polishing classics, I like it sometimes and don't sometimes...depends on the rig and the patina. But what about waxing flat fronts? My God it was labour intensive. I don't know if I'm ever gonna do that again by myself. And it's about a grand to have someone else do it. Yikes. I'll live with the dirt.