Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
96 Classic Commercial

http://www.airforums.com/class...p?product=1420

Any thoughts on this, or experience with MH's from the commercial division? I've been looking at 345's, but the ones I've seen have been real projects...
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I saw that coach in the classifieds and then checked on Fred's page to see if he had info on it but he did not. Interesting looking vehicle. I love the windows and they would be great for traveling. I think you would want to find out what is inside. Is there plumbing? If so what is it, a bath, kitchen, shower? Does it have tanks, water, holding? Does it have a generator, propane tank? The seller needs to provide interior pictures and a lot more information. Have you tried to contact them yet?
From the commercial division they will build just about anything from the space shuttle, shuttle to a funeral coach so you really do not know what you have. I was at the factory last December and they were putting together as Skydeck with an all aluminum interior and a giant screen TV on the outside. As I said they will build anything the buyer asks for.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Rosei39j,
I agree with Chaplain Kent. Find out more about this unique coach and make sure it is in line with your needs. If your goal is to tailgate or travel with friends and stay in hotels, it might be perfect, but if you're looking to camp in the coach for on the road or for long periods of time than this could be more of a "project" then those 345's you're looking at.

Those rows of windows won't give you much privacy, or solid wall space for things like a bathroom and shower (which might need to be fabricated). If it's missing major systems, like a generator, black and grey water tanks, water heater, a bathroom, fridge, etc. then installing these items will add to your budget, not to mention any cabinetry, upholstry, etc.

Pretty sure this coach (or one just like it) was up for sale about a year ago on another site. It certainly is unique and interesting and might be pefect for your needs but additional pictures, history and details would be the first step in determining if this is the one for you.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Looked at it.....

While I was at the Vintage Rally Feb. 2-6 06 I stopped in at the Airstream dealer that has this unit on consignment and spent a few minutes in it.....

I would have to say to RUN away with your 30 grand in your pocket....

The unit was originally a bloodmobile, and later converted to a kitchen unit.

While it certainly is unique, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that your time would be much better spent pursuing a good AS built motor home and fixing what needs fixing rather than starting from scratch with the referenced unit.

Not knocking the unit here - it's just a long way from a Motor Home.

I suspect there will be several more AS MH's for sale in SE Texas this year - PPL in Houston suns several through each year and currently has an '86 listed for less than 15 thou - they (PPL Consignment) always accept offers.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie39j
...Any thoughts on this, or experience with MH's from the commercial division? I've been looking at 345's, but the ones I've seen have been real projects...
The unit you are debating has been "inactive" for a long time - here are a couple of pictures taken when it was parked on a North Austin street about a year ago....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peter's People Hauler Curbside Lightened.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	18259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peter's People Hauler Driverside lightened.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	18260  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Dennis knows his Airstream coaches, so I would say take his advice, especially since he has seen it first hand.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rosie, first welcome to the forums. You did not mention what you had in mind for your use of the AS commercial unit.
I'm a commercial user. My AS is my daily driver. In fact I've been without a car for the past two years, but solved that last week when I added a 1987 Cadillac Allante' to my aluminum collection.
Let us know what you're looking for. Also keep in mind that many forum members are happy to look over a unit that may be of interest to you but too far to travel to just for a preliminary look see.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote