Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

96 airstream classic 36’ TV

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the help on the head lamp issue. I have a new question as we begin to roll down the road. I cannot figure out the TV.
So I have one built into the dash and one built into the shelf in the back bedroom. I am going to assume these are analog and not digital.
So..
1. If I have a cable hook up do I just need to buy a converter? If so, install it between the cable and the hookup in the coach of which I have no idea where it is?
2. I have an antenna built in. Will that antenna pick up digital signals? If so will they transmit to the TV? How would I convert those signals to analog?

I am assuming that both TV’s are wired for cable. Maybe they are wired for both?
This coach is is such great shape I do not want to monkey with cutting into the dash and putting in new TV’s. We don’t watch that much TV anyway but would be nice to watch Monday night football on the road.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks a million. I have uploaded a picture of our coach.
(I think)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K's Airstream 001 copy.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	172742  
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Awesome and congrats on the new baby!
What motor do you have?
A TBI 454?

On your TV question, I suggest you post your question in the TV section of the forum... lots of experts there!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the help on the head lamp issue. I have a new question as we begin to roll down the road. I cannot figure out the TV.
So I have one built into the dash and one built into the shelf in the back bedroom. I am going to assume these are analog and not digital.
So..
1. If I have a cable hook up do I just need to buy a converter? If so, install it between the cable and the hookup in the coach of which I have no idea where it is?
2. I have an antenna built in. Will that antenna pick up digital signals? If so will they transmit to the TV? How would I convert those signals to analog?

I am assuming that both TV’s are wired for cable. Maybe they are wired for both?
This coach is is such great shape I do not want to monkey with cutting into the dash and putting in new TV’s. We don’t watch that much TV anyway but would be nice to watch Monday night football on the road.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks a million. I have uploaded a picture of our coach.
(I think)
You will need one converter per television. Wire it between the antenna output and television input on each television. Your old antenna will pick up digital signals. I have used old fashioned rabbit ears, complete with aluminum foil reception enhancers, to pick up digital signals.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

TV Reply

Thanks for the replies. It has a 454 Chev engine. I had to do some work including waiting in a RV park as we speak for an new exhaust manifold. But it is 15 years old and has 55000 miles on it. Had her tuned up and got 9.75 miles per gallon on the way to Phoenix from Calgary. Needs a manifold though.

I will check out the TV section and try to move my post over there. I am not sure where the antenna reaches the TV input. I would suspect it is behind the walls somewhere. I will check the TV section.
Thanks!
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Nice rig!

A previous owner of our 310 replaced both exhaust manifolds with a set of headers, not sure whether they are Banks or another brand. I like the setup and do no anticipate any problems with them.

Our converter at home sits right behind the TV. It has its own 110v power plug.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Nice looking unit! Keep us posted!!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Thanks for the replies. It has a 454 Chev engine. I had to do some work including waiting in a RV park as we speak for an new exhaust manifold. But it is 15 years old and has 55000 miles on it. Had her tuned up and got 9.75 miles per gallon on the way to Phoenix from Calgary. Needs a manifold though.

I will check out the TV section and try to move my post over there. I am not sure where the antenna reaches the TV input. I would suspect it is behind the walls somewhere. I will check the TV section.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Nice rig!

A previous owner of our 310 replaced both exhaust manifolds with a set of headers, not sure whether they are Banks or another brand. I like the setup and do no anticipate any problems with them.

Our converter at home sits right behind the TV. It has its own 110v power plug.
I was afraid my post would be misunderstood. So, i will try again, in more detail.
Find the 75ohm cable that comes out of the wall. Use a 75ohm cable to go from that to the converter box input. Connect the 75 ohm cable that originally hooked to the wall, and connect it to the output side of the converter box. Turn on the television and converter, and set the television to channel 3 or channel 4. Scan for channels with the converter. Make sure the antenna is up and the amplifier is on when you do this.
Repeat this process with the rear television. You will need to scan for new channels every time you travel to a new or different location.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The flat screens can be mounted under the overhead cabinets with minor modification. the antenna hook-up on our 345 is located curbside on the wall, between the door and passenger seat. We use a dish on a tripod, and I ran a coax from the bedroom, streetside to the rear, streetside electric cable compartment(we have rear twins)...had to drill a hole from under the bed to the compartment, and a couple of small holes on the inside of the compartment to mount a simple A-B switch. Don't need HD, as there are books to read, and a whole lot to see outside the unit. A DVD/VHS helps on days that confine. I'm curious to know where your extra 1 1/2 feet are used(as opposed to our 34.5'...extra closet space?
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote