Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
'91 350 LE Water in Fuel

Something new happening….

This is a P30 gasoline chassis and we are getting it ready for a trip to Burning Man.

I recently had the dash air repaired, and now the Water In Fuel lamp on the dash lights up. I am not aware of a water separator normally being installed on gasoline engines.

The manual doesn't acknowledge the coach even has a WiF lamp.

Any ideas?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Join the club. My 91 350LE does the same. It comes on and goes off for no apparent reason. The washer fluid does the same. Very annoying at night as the lights are bright. I've thought about pulling the bulbs but if I'm going to lower the dash to get to the bulbs might as we'll figure out what controls the lights and just replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The washer fluid was an easy enough fix on mine. The fluid bottle was age brittle and cracked, so it would no longer hold fluid.

There are a pair of wires bolted to the bottom of the bottle that are shorted by the fluid, when dry they are not connected and turn on the light.

I simply shorted then together when I removed the bottle.

No more "low washer fluid" light.

Regards,

JD

Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I tried that and it didn't work for me. Whatever controls that light must be bad on mine. It's odd because the low coolant light works perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I began to think I had this issue figured out, but…..

We just completed a 4200 mile trip in our 350 LE.

On the final leg of the journey, we had a few issues.

Upon letting off the throttle for a downhill, the engine would not regain full power upon reapplication of the throttle. It would starve for fuel. I could move the accelerator pedal up and down, and finally it would regain full power. The engine would make partial power during these episodes and when power came back it was full and strong, for as long as I held the throttle.

This occurred randomly throughout the final 1000 miles of the trip.

I also had several random flashes of the water in fuel light throughout these episodes, and during previous parts of the trip.

Earlier in the trip, I noticed an OBD connector mounted on the righthand side of the steering column. I have completed a little research and determined there should be Onboard Diagnostics(series 1) on this model chassis.

I hoped Airsteam perhaps connected Check Engine light to the Water In Fuel lamp, and perhaps the flashes I was seeing were in fact trouble codes.

But, tonight upon shorting what I believe to be the correct pins together on the OBD connector, I got no response from the WIF light.

Has any read OBD codes on the early 90s MHs?

Regards,

JD

Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

The "Water in Fuel" light in my 325 stays on much of the time. I think it is a sensor issue. I have noticed no change in performance or behavior. I have other sensors that are a bit wonky as well. They are all dying of old age. Sensor, idiot light and gauges upgrade is one of my projects.
morlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
"Upon letting off the throttle for a downhill, the engine would not regain full power upon reapplication of the throttle. It would starve for fuel. I could move the accelerator pedal up and down, and finally it would regain full power. The engine would make partial power during these episodes and when power came back it was full and strong, for as long as I held the throttle. "

Our 310 did this from the time we got it until I wrapped the hard fuel line that goes from the fuel pump up the front of the engine to the carburetor. Apparently, when the engine is hot and a bunch of hot air is coming through the radiator directly onto that line and the fuel in that line stops because I took my foot off the gas, the fuel got hot enough to vaporize. The problem is gone now. If you have fuel injection it would be a different story, but you still might want to look for places where the fuel line runs close to a heat source like the exhaust manifold.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I am not certain if the 310's have the rear fuel pump like my 325, but that sounds a lot like how mine behaved just before that fuel pump failed completely.
morlach is offline   Reply With Quote