Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
milton , Georgia
88 345 squeal from rear left axle?

Hello everyone I have a squeel coming out of the left side of my 345. I know its probably a bearing but my questions are if anyone has delt with this issue and is it more likely to be from the tag axel? Also how difficult is this to repair at home. I have the tools and am capable just want to try and cut down on the time of hunting down the cause of the squeel. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jason
nemo834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Hello nemo834
I assume you only hear the noise going down the road ?

If you have a fuel Pump mounted in front of the fuel tank ?
the pump can squeal. It will get louder if there is a leak or if it is going bad at times. this remote pump can also squeal louder if a filter is plugged. something to look at. You will hear this on the driver side right in front of the drive wheels
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Just a thought....
Brakes.
Some pads have a wear sensor on the brake pad that tells you when the pad is worn down to the wear limit... its a piece of spring steel that touches the rotor. 345's have rear disc brakes on the drive axle, I am sure.
In my experience with these, they shut up when you brake, and squeal when you are not braking.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
I recently inspected / greased the inner & outer bearings for the tag's on my 345. Always doing this on my own vehicles that had drum brakes, I found this job was very similar.

If it is a bearing noise, being at home is really the best place to troubleshoot / repair.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I had a bearing spin in the tag hub. Killed the hub. Got a new one from Inland. They are heavy! Heavy! Heavy!!! As I was backing up one time and my wife was watching me back into a space, she told me it was making a funny noise as I backed.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo834 View Post
Hello everyone I have a squeel coming out of the left side of my 345. I know its probably a bearing but my questions are if anyone has delt with this issue and is it more likely to be from the tag axel? Also how difficult is this to repair at home. I have the tools and am capable just want to try and cut down on the time of hunting down the cause of the squeel. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jason
The tag axle has electric brakes, just like the trailers.

All kinds of things can go wrong with them to cause that noise.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I think Andy is spot on...we had a horrendous squeal/rub from what we thought was the right rear...the mobile mechanic came out, jacked up the R rear and pulled the tires...nothing wrong...we drove to his shop, and he pulled ALL the tires off, and the left rear tag axle's spring(1 year old) had broken...he pulled it, and I have driven without tag-axle brakes since then...I asked him to cut the lines...the electric brakes have cost us a lot of time, $$$, and frustration...I think there might be a conversion for tag axles, but I haven't followed it...we cross mountain passes, but drive like the guy I used to be caught behind when I was a teenager in a hurry...road courtesy only exists going downhill...
Also, if it should be a bearing, PARK IT SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO HOME!!! We spent 10 days in Kingsman AZ waiting to get our hub replaced...the Freightliner dealership couldn't find one, so we went online and found 2 in Minnesota, apparently the only 2 left on line in the USA...bought 'em both, and carry the extra under one of Murphy's Laws addendums...
If yer going to have brake work or tire replacement, have them(ok, ok...INSTRUCT them...or DEMAND) that they pull off ALL the tires, and check the brakes and bearings...cheaper than roadside service, and you have documentation...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
milton , Georgia
Hey everyone just wanted to say thanks for the responses. Its been awhile but just got time to pull left tag wheel off and its an easy fix. The brake ajuster and spring had broken and was rattling around. Pep boys had a rebuild kit for 12 bucks. WAHOO! April 15th trip is still on. Thanks again. Oh by the way if anyone wants a picture of a broken tag axle assembly let me know and Ill post it on here. Always good to have pics so let me know.
nemo834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo834 View Post
Hey everyone just wanted to say thanks for the responses. Its been awhile but just got time to pull left tag wheel off and its an easy fix. The brake ajuster and spring had broken and was rattling around. Pep boys had a rebuild kit for 12 bucks. WAHOO! April 15th trip is still on. Thanks again. Oh by the way if anyone wants a picture of a broken tag axle assembly let me know and Ill post it on here. Always good to have pics so let me know.
Great

sure, post the pictures
thank you
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
345, axle