Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
'87 345 Shower Wall Removal

I have an 87 345 with a shower that needs attention. I have decided on either FRP or formica. How are the walls attached, at the edges behind the trim? Are they riveted? Do you have to peel back the vinyl to get to them?
Once I can get them out I can use them for a template for the new wall and then just reinstall.
It will be a good time to look behind the wall and make sure all is dry, too.
What am I getting into?
gmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag View Post
I have an 87 345 with a shower that needs attention. I have decided on either FRP or formica. How are the walls attached, at the
edges behind the trim? Are they riveted?
The wood side walls are attached to the aluminum inner skin via aluminum channels that follow the curve of the shell. The channels are riveted to the shell and the wood (5/8" or 3/4") is screwed to the aluminum channels. The back wall and ceiling should be one continuous strip of ABS plastic that is held in place with screws to the wooden sub structure and is riveted to the aluminum inner shell in various places with rivets. You won't get the back wall and ceiling out until you remove the entire shower tub because the back wall is screwed to the back of the wood sub structure that supports the tub.

Quote:
Do you have to peel back the vinyl to get to them?
Not sure which vinyl you're referring to unless it is the vinyl that is laminated to the side walls. If that's what you're referring to then no you don't need to peel it back.

Quote:
Once I can get them out I can use them for a template for the new wall and then just reinstall.
It will be a good time to look behind the wall and make sure all is dry, too.
That's a good basic plan but I think you'll find that getting the walls out is a fair bit more work than you're anticipating right now.

The inner components (cabinets, closets, etc) are installed in a sequential order. I'm not sure if its from the front or the back but things really need to come out in sequence to get to the shower. For example you likely will have to remove the bedroom closet in order to get the one wall of the shower out and you might have to remove a lot of the kitchen to get the other wall out.

Quote:
What am I getting into?
More than you can ever imagine
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Aside from the guys who built them, I vote Brad as the next most knowledgable!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
Hi... When I took out the shower there were a couple of problem areas.
there are screws from the outside walls going into the base seating area which are near impossible to get to without taking out the drawer slides in the micro area... The micro area is difficult as the wood front must have swelled just enough to not allow the micro out, meaning I had to take the front off first.

The back wall on mine was a metal sheet behind both walls which would mean you had to remove both walls to remove it. It was mounted under the front door , also to come off first, and under the seat back sealed with a ton of calking.
I think the past owner used calking all around all wall joints as I had to use a straight blade to cut everything loose.

Suggestion ... if its the wall paper that looks shabby then just replace it with one brighter and re-calk the edges. If its the seat base I don't have a clue how to change it's color as is thin plastic on top of a wood base. If you have the bulky plastic sliding door then replace with shower curtain but expect water leaking into main hall every time you lean against it...
My plan is to use the area that the shower was in as storage and install an outdoor shower head and on demand water heater in the upper area....

Then again I'm 6'3" and couldn't fit into the shower anyway.

Good luck
rjetsrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjetsrick View Post
The back wall on mine was a metal sheet behind both walls which would mean you had to remove both walls to remove it. It was mounted under the front door , also to come off first, and under the seat back sealed with a ton of calking.
Richard, was the back wall metal or were there two layers? What I mean was there an aluminum sheet glued to the plastic back wall that went from the shower pan, curved up and became the ceiling?

My memory is a little vague on that part.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Aside from the guys who built them, I vote Brad as the next most knowledgable!
Now that would be something sad to rely on
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
Yes just a piece of metal with 2- 1 x 2 stapping mid way... had wood over the wheel well thou...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	178426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	178427  

Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
You know just after posting these pictures I think you may have been right that there was plastic in front but that may have been damaged and tore or cut out earlier...

there was a lot of gunk on the back of the seat to the wall

Still wouldn't try removing as you are right that you have to start at the kitchen and remove everything heading back... When I tried to remove the wall for the shower where it meets the back, it is screwed from the outside so both side needed to be removed to get it out. The wood wall on the back of the large closet was the hardest as they installed the pipes after and were in the way ,,, Had to RIP it out... very ugly.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I'm about to attempt the same repair, except I'm the one who purchased the shower pan from the 345 Brad parted out. Jeez, I've got my work cut out for me!
going to try and remove old shower pan without taking out all of the cabinets from door back to shower. If I'm successful, I'll be sure to post pix, as well as how I accomplished it.
If I'm NOT successful, it may be awhile before I post again, lol.
Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Derek,

You can do it! And if you do, I may even try it. But so far am already way over my head!!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Derek,

You can do it! And if you do, I may even try it. But so far am already way over my head!!
I'm half tempted to make a bet with the two of you on the odds of removing and re-installing the tub without removing at least one of the side walls but then that would be like stealing money from both of you

It would be nice if you could find a way to do it as I'm sure a lot of other owners have considered the same thing.

Good luck!

Brad
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
It will be more fun than anticipated and I am still teetering between FRP or Formica.
Either will provide a great surface with flexibility in installing.
gmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
gmag,
I'm going with FRP or something similar. HD has a product that supposedly resists mildew as well. Seems like a no brainer there.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote