Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
'87 345 Front A/C Shroud & Pan

We had rain, finally, this past weekend and we woke up with some puddles & drips up front. The suspects are the clearance lights, horns, spotlight and the front A/C. I noticed the A/C shroud & pan look strange. The shroud doesn't fit around the pan and the pan doesn't conform to the roof curve. Do any of them?
I have attached some pics to explain better.
The interior cover doesn't conform to the roof curve either. I noticed in other threads the same thing. If it was just cosmetic I wouldn't worry about it but return air gets sucked in the system through those gaps and bypasses the filter. Of course dirt gets trapped in the coils faster and the A/C works harder as a result. Anyone made something clever to seal the gap?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	180980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	180981  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	180982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	180983  

gmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
gmag,
I think the installation you have is not original...ours is an '89, and doesn't have the pans...just a straight roof mount...I think our pan is recessed, and we have drain tubes that run down inside the inner and outer skins. Maybe could be that your drains are clogged, also...we're currently staying in South Austin, and the rig is stored on Bradshaw Lane...if you want to look at it, pm me, and I'll give you my cell & land line #s...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the offer. It may be next week before I can get down there to see it.
I figured that wasn't a factory looking fit & finish but I wanted to put it out there.
It doesn't drip while the unit is running but it's suspect during a rain.
gmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Hey Mike! Can you tell me where the drain tubes are located? I just bought maxx air shrouds and I think I can change them myself, If you have a few hints on how to change them that would be great, My challenge is the roof strength, The flood waters have receeded here in Calgary so time to go camping if any of the parks are open! Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
Hey Mike! Can you tell me where the drain tubes are located? I just bought maxx air shrouds and I think I can change them myself, If you have a few hints on how to change them that would be great, My challenge is the roof strength, The flood waters have receeded here in Calgary so time to go camping if any of the parks are open! Jonathan
Hey Jonathan,
I'll be going to the unit this aft, and will look for the tubes...I know one of them drains just behind the driver's side rear wheels. As for getting on top...carpet, plywood(3/8" for my 150 lbs), and a worshipful appreciation of what lays beneath them...the rivet lines will tell you where the underlying support is, and the carpet and plywood should over-straddle these lines, but don't walk at the edges. I have seen a scaffolding bridge used(kinda neat), but spanning the gap over the unit would be a tad tedious and angst-ridden. I keep a supply of 'noodles' for all sorts of adaptions, and one of those is noodling the unit side of the ladder I use to climb. Hints I would recommend are: USE THE CURRENT EQUIVALENT OF VULKEM, NOT LATEX, FOR SEALING(can someone out there help on the name?). Any screws into the skin should be stainless, NOT STAINLESS COATED. As I have never installed a shroud, my advice will stop here...well, ONE more suggestion...GO CAMPING!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Went to the unit...108 inside, till I fired up the gen and acs...cool down, and I discovered that the folks who installed my acs apparently didn't know where the front tube was, as it drips thru the driver side filter before it does that thing called a spot on the carpet(at least it's filtered water...). I called them, and we will find out where it is when I can set up a day. The rear ac drips out from the rear driver side wheel well, between the axle-tag axle tires. A suggestion to new ac buyers: GET THE SERIAL #(s) off the ac BEFORE THEY INSTALL IT...I looked for one, couldn't find it, called, and was told "oh, just pull the inside cover off...it's up in there somewhere..."...I reckon WE'll find it somewhere up there near that pesky drainage tube, when I take it back in...more to follow.