Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Leslie , Michigan
82 310 Turbo Diesel EGT Gauge

Finally got the MH out for a weekend outing and the EGT is not working. It was fine last year. All the other gauges are working fine. Where do I start looking?? Says ISSPRO on the gauge.

Thanks
Gary Greenwood
Leslie, MI

Old 09-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44tonner View Post
Finally got the MH out for a weekend outing and the EGT is not working. It was fine last year. All the other gauges are working fine. Where do I start looking?? Says ISSPRO on the gauge.

Thanks
Gary Greenwood
Leslie, MI
The sending unit is in the exhaust manifold just above the turbo. It just screws into the manifold and has a wire going up to gauge. It is a special wire and cannot be shortened or lengthened. If it goes bad it must be replaced as a unit.

Check all the connections and clean as needed. You can pull the sender and heat it with a match or propane torch and you should see a resistance change with an ohmmeter at the connector. If bad the sender can be purchased from Isspro in Portland, OR. You must order it with the proper length wire.

Good luck, Dan

Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Tennessee
This is what I used on my Duramax

I used Isspro gauges on my duramax. This reacts fast and is electronic making it for an easy install. Have bought from egauges.com and will again. They have a great selection of gauges.

R3607TR - ISSPRO EV Auto - Red Pointers: Pyrometers / EGT Gauges - egauges.com
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Our Toad, 96 Saturn SW2 (261,000 and still going )
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Leslie , Michigan
Fixed

Pulled the dash out to replace the voltage gauge. EGT has the 2 wires going to it fastened to two studs with nuts. They also hold the gauge in. Snugged them up a bit and now it works fine. What a rat's the dash wiring is. Replaced the Volt meter, Oil pressure gauge, and Amp meter. Replaced a lot of the wiring for the dash lights. Thanjs for the help and tip on egauges.com

Gary
Leslie. MI
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Check all the connections and clean as needed. You can pull the sender and heat it with a match or propane torch and you should see a resistance change with an ohmmeter at the connector.
My gauge is out, also. Can you ohm it at the gauge with the wires connected or should the wires be pulled from the gauge?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My gauge is out, also. Can you ohm it at the gauge with the wires connected or should the wires be pulled from the gauge?
Mike I think you need to disconnect the wires to check the sensor/thermocouple. Many units have a connection near the thermocouple at the manifold. I would pull the thermocouple and hold it in a burner on the stove with an ohmmeter connected. You can go to the Isspro site and lots of info and pictures. I have also bought stuff directly from them, good people to work with.

I don't know about your EGT but mine has a BAE label, the outfit the supplied the turbo. It's probably somebody else's meter but I have no idea who made it.

I think the Isspro EGT's are powered by the thermocouple but I had a Steward Warner EGT some time ago that had to have 12V connected in order to operate.

Like Gary above I would check all the connections first.

Good luck, Dan