Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
'82 310 drivers captains chair

So....IS there a way to rotate the drivers seat to face the lounge area? I have the original captains chair and base unit(all manual). If not, has anybody modified the original seat or base to be able to rotate 180? It seems that if the slide mechanism would move a couple inches further forward, or if the back of the chair were able to tilt forward a bit one could rotate it to face the lounge area. The steering wheel is what needs to be cleared. Does anyone know of a brand or type of new captains chair that would work. It would be nice to be able to use the chair as seating when camped.

Smartstream or Keyair, surely you fellas have worked this out already .
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Isuzusweet, Idroba?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Maybe you can find something here, if not already equipped-

Sprinter Seat Bases,Swivel Seat Bases,Sprinter Power Seat Bases
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Has the seat been remounted to be closer to the steering wheel? as for a short driver?
Could it be remounted further away from the wheel?
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I dont think its been modified but ill check for signs
Old 08-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As I recall, on my '83 310 the drivers side seat could not be swiveled to face the rear, just like yours. Even if it could be done, you would be sitting up there like on a throne with your feet dangling out over the couch, not very comfortable in any event. I never found the leather seats in my 310 to be comfortable to begin with, they didn't breathe and were hot, or cold, depending on the season.

So, I guess I would say it is not worth the effort to try to change, but that is my opinion only, of course.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
I also can not rotate the seat fully on my 350. Don't know if doing the back and forth while rotating would work..... I tried a few times and gave up thinking it wasn't designed to rotate. This was also before I to the seat out to redo the cab flooring.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks fellas, im just glad i wasnt having another duh moment and missing something. They do sit awful high to be used for regular seating, im just trying to think of all options on the lounge area. Id really like to get two nice recliners in there somehow, even if i lose the couch. Not worried about losing sleeping area. No big changes are gonna happen with the interior until we spend more tine in it but just thinking ahead. Im just about done with stripping and refinishing all the wood in the kitchen and bath. Thats looking very nice, big improvement anyway.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
We took out the barrel chairs and Groucho and plan to put un two European recliners. 3 Dog Nite pulled his Groucho out and put home theater seats in. They are white leather and are super comfy! We may even go that way...... Still up in the air till we spend a few nights in it with lawn furniture and see what we really want. keep us posted on what you decide/do!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
What youre describing is definately along the same lines as we are thinking. Either that or maybe a serious upgrade/rebuild of the couch and possibly one recliner. I didnt see pictures of 3 Dog Nights, ill see if i can find some.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
If you can't find them I think I have some I took when I toured his Moho. Will pm him and ask if it is ok to post. it is a nice set up. need to get back home where pics are first.

Our thought was go with the most comfortable for the two of us and worry about others later. Goucho in our trailer was not comfortable as seat or bed. Lived in it for 6months and swore I would get real chairs that I could sit, read, watch tv in. It is all a trade off.... Comfort vs the ability to seat/sleep more people.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I'm currently converting a 1975 20ft Argosy from a pull-out to two twin beds so also looking for the driver and passenger seat to be dual purpose. One solution I have been looking at is used on many commuter trains, and also high end boats where the seat back is reversible and 'flips' (e.g. Twin 46 Flip Up Seat). Those are available as single seats or doubles (I'm looking at the double to see if I can duplicate the 1976 Argosy roto-dinette layout). Same company also sells a Hi-Lo seat mount which could take out at least some of the height difference between cab and living area.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Those are some interesting products. I wonder if slide rails with greater travel would solve the rotation problem. Is 6" of travel on the slide rail some type of standard?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I haven't found anything bigger than 6" travel with at least a 4" diameter pedestal (I weigh nearly 300lbs and had the 4" on a boat with no issues, but wouldn't want to go any smaller), actually most are only 3" travel.

I was considering not having a swivel at all on the drivers side but instead having the pedestal in two parts (inner and outer sleeve), with a location pin. Then simply pull the pin lift off the chair, rotate through 180 degrees and re-insert the pin (this way I could even have had 'high' and 'low' locations), but we do want some sort of arc of movement rather than simply being locked towards the front or back of the Argosy. So far the Pushmi-Pullyu approach seems to be the one we are going with.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
If you go that way, it would be great to see some pics of the pedestal and the install. Interesting idea.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I'm pulling out captains chairs tomorrow to seal the sub-floor. Mine has the rotating bases. I'll be sure to take a few pix and post here. From what I remember, rotating the front captain's chairs wasn't that easy.
I agree about the sofa (gaucho). It's uncomfortable to sit in, or even lay down in (never tried sleeping). I'm pulling it out tomorrow as well, will be checking for replacement while I'm working on sub-floor, FatMat, and new hardwood flooring.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
On my 310, there are two exterior storage doors on the drivers side that access the area under the couch for storage. One thing ive been concerned about if i were to remove the couch is also losing that storage space. It looks like on the 345 it only has one door to access that area.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Im messing around right now building some removable arm rests for the couch, removable so you can still make it into a bed. Possibly with some cup holder inserts. I mocked one up real quick, and just adding the arm rest made sitting on the couch much more comfortable. Possibly with new high quality foam, good fabric, and arm rests that couch would be acceptable seating/lounging space. Maybe add a custom or prefab center console type thing in the center, to sit on top of the center cushion.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sorry it took awhile to get back to you. I have been busy putting Mistress back together. Got the shower gables back in today, along with the bathroom wall with lights and medicine cabinet.

Yeah it kinda bites that the stock Featherlite chairs don't swivel around to face the lounge. I think Keyair has replaced them with Range Rover thrones but I doubt they swivel around either.

As for your front couch....Yours doesn't fold over into a double bed??? Mine does.

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Yes Tony it does fold over into a bed. So right now im building some armrests for it. Making at least the one, nearest the kitchen cab removable so we will still have the option to fold it out inyo a bed. I messed around and made a quick mock up and it really made a difference in how comfortable sitting at the couch is. So im building some now out of oak and we'll see how it turns out. If i can find a good quality foam and modify the under springs to siffen it up i may just recover the couch and keep it. I thought i was certain about removing the couch all together and rplacing with some kind of recliner configuration but now im not so sure. I dont want to lose the storage underneath it that is accessible from the two outside doors.

Eh, just exploring all options. I thought it would be nice if both captains chairs rotated to face the lounge area for additional seating when necessary, but it doesnt sound like anybody has modified it to do so. If i can make the couch actually comfortable, i may just build two footstools for the oposite wall that have storage inside and an appropriate height for seating at the foldout table.

Highest priority is comfy seating for just the two of us.