Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
'79 turn signal switch sources?

My '79 MH with '81 coach has working left turn signal lights, but both front and rear passenger side signal lights don't work. I checked the bulbs and they are good, so I was told it's the switch. Since this is a tilt steering wheel column, I'm hoping it's not too difficult to replace. Is this just any 'ol switch I can buy at NAPA parts? How tough is it to switch out?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
tilt columns are not fun to rebuild. if the column has to be dis-assembled to remove the switch, you might want to try a wrecking yard and get a price. you might find a re-builder in your area. ask at your local auto parts store. you can also get a price from shops if you remove it yourself. rebuilding them is somewhat of a lost art.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i blew the dust off of some manuals :-)

it looks like the book time is about an hour. to me that means that you don't have to tear down the column too far to replace the switch. you will need a puller for the wheel and possibly to remove the lock plate that keeps the wheel from turning when locked. i strongly suggest a service manual!

if you head in this direction, try plugging the new switch in before tearing down the column. if the problem is NOT the switch, you will have saved the time opening the column :-)

the first thing to test is for power coming out of the switch at the column plug. you should easily find the lead for the side that works. the non working side will take longer ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
OK, I have access to old repair manuals from a retired mechanic friend of mine. He may be able to help me with this too, since I'm planning to do it myself. Since book is only an hour, it may not be that involved as stated. I'm not planning on rebuilding the whole tilt system, just replacing the turn signal switch, which I hope is easy access. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You'll have to remove the steering wheel and horn contact ring to get to the switch. You may find a spring and plate in there to help hold the pieces in place inside. If so, you will have to remove that as well.
Other than that, you will find 3 phillips screws holding the switch tot he column, and a phillips screw holding the turn signal lever to the switch. Look close and plan how to get the plug out of the column before you start yanking on things... It or the new part will have to go back in as well as out.