Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Sounds like the fuel filters.
But the main reason I'm piping in is that if you do remove all the smog stuff, please don't get rid of it...store it all away for the future. When I bought my MH it didn't have any smog stuff and I had to install it in California. It was a pain (and expensive) to find. Sure wish the PO had saved all that stuff. Even if you don't think you'll ever sell it, still keep the components.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Thanks for the tip

I think I will remove all the stuff, but like you said keep it. I have been to busy to completly fix my engine problems, but I figured I would start at the tank and work foward. So far I have replaced the fuel line and the filter up to the fuel push pump. Those items were ok, so I continue foward. More to come.....

Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The PO of my 1984 310 had horrible problems with no power on hills. He even put on a Banks which is nice but didn't correct the problem.

The problem turned out to be a contaminated fuel tank, it seems that crude in the tank was limited the amount of fuel that could be pumped. He had the tank removed, cleaned out and sealed, problem solved.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #18
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Sorry it took so long

I finally got some time to work on the problems i had been having. From the drivers seat it so seems like fuel so I started at the tank. I replaced all of the flexable fuel lines and blew out the solid lines, replacing both in line fuel filters at the same time. No luck. Got out on the road at she wouldn't run but maybe 35 mph. Idles fine, but at some point during accelerating it falls on its face and won't come back to life unless you back almost completley off the gas. Next I hooked up a portable 6 gallon fuel tank in the rear passenger side storage compartment to the rear lift pump thus eliminating any problems withe the main gas tank. Nothing. Still only about 35 mph so I guess the tank is ok. Next I took off the new lift pump I had installed 2 months ago and tested it. It was pumping ok it seems. At least enough to power my 454 anyway. I then made sure that the wires that power the pump were hat and the hot one was. Who knows, I think I will take a colser look at the carb next. I did notice that the lift pump hot wire would not energize unless you actually started the engine. It would not energize by merely turning the key to the "on" position. Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_345 View Post
.... I did notice that the lift pump hot wire would not energize unless you actually started the engine. It would not energize by merely turning the key to the "on" position. Any thoughts?
I think there is an oil pressure switch in the circuit so that the pump shuts off if there is no oil pressure.

Too bad it wasn't the tank

I have had ignition problems which looked like fuel starvation problems. Once it was an intermittent failure in the ignition module, another time it was the coil.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote