Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
370 gen set service

I got this 370 last summer, and have done little more than run the gen for a few minutes at a time just for kicks and to hear it run. Now all of a sudden it doesn't want to start.

How much fuel do you need in the tank to feed the gen?

Is there a safety shut off that will trip if the oil is low? (which it is) This is a feature that was on an onan that I had at home.

As the picture shows, it leans pretty dramatically toward the front, and jumps around like a two year old in a bouncy house when you crank it over. Possibly a bad mount, or do they all act this way?

In the event of a bad mount, how does this thing come out through that door? The acoustic insulation in the compartment is in pretty rough shape and could use some attention if it does get pulled out.

Thanks,

Charly

Sorry for no pic. When it rains, it pours. Evidently I've exceeded my storage allowance. Does anyone know how to fix that?
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You have to become a supporting member to get more space.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The generator drops down, not through the door.
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Thanks. I was thinking about trying that before getting out the Sawzall.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
The two most benign reasons for a sudden generator stop seem to be (1) low fuel, usually at the 1/4-tank level for gassers, and (2) low oil in the genny. The newer gensets may also have an air filter that can cause shut-offs when clogged (as from a dust storm).

Been there, done 'em all. ;-)
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
I got this 370 last summer, and have done little more than run the gen for a few minutes at a time just for kicks and to hear it run. Now all of a sudden it doesn't want to start.

How much fuel do you need in the tank to feed the gen?

Is there a safety shut off that will trip if the oil is low? (which it is) This is a feature that was on an onan that I had at home.

As the picture shows, it leans pretty dramatically toward the front, and jumps around like a two year old in a bouncy house when you crank it over. Possibly a bad mount, or do they all act this way?

In the event of a bad mount, how does this thing come out through that door? The acoustic insulation in the compartment is in pretty rough shape and could use some attention if it does get pulled out.

Thanks,

Charly

Sorry for no pic. When it rains, it pours. Evidently I've exceeded my storage allowance. Does anyone know how to fix that?
It has a low oil shut off and your mounts are bad. They do not always drop down. Some Classic models come out through the door after you remove all of the exhaust components. I have never seen a dirty air filter shut off.
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote