Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
pamplico , South Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to romakdaddy
370 Brake stuff

thought I would start another thread about brakes...plus I need some info. I coulda swore I posted about my power brakes a while back but couldn't find it. The gillig chassis uses a strange electric/hydraulic power brake setup and mines acting the fool. question is, whats the name of it and how easy are they to work on? mines not assisting and the motor runs all the time when the drive section power is on.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The system is pretty straight forward ...if the brakes work off a hydro-boost system, should the engine die you would lose the hydro-boost section of the brake system. IE you would have no power assist. Being that you said the motor runs constantly you either have one of two problems. Problem one would be that you already have a very low brake pedal due do some problem in the hydraulic side of the brake system. Problem two is that the brake unit itself is shot. The system works on pressure and when the unit senses low pressure in the brake system when the brake pedal is applied it will turn the electric pump motor on to assist braking. I would first make sure that your hydraulic side is working correctly. Have you done any recent brake work and if so is the brake system been properly bleed out ? If you are not sure I would gravity bleed the brake system first. Remove the cover from the master cylinder and make sure it is full, leave cover off and open all four bleeders. After about five mins. You should see brake fluid coming from all four corners slowly. Make sure to keep master cylinder full during this process by checking every few minutes. See if there are any air bubbles coming out of the bleeders as well. When it is a solid flow of fluid all of the air is gone and it is safe to close the bleeders. Make sure all bleeders are on top of the calipers, I have seen calipers replaced incorrectly with the bleeders on the bottom. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
The system is pretty straight forward ...if the brakes work off a hydro-boost system, should the engine die you would lose the hydro-boost section of the brake system. IE you would have no power assist. Being that you said the motor runs constantly you either have one of two problems. Problem one would be that you already have a very low brake pedal due do some problem in the hydraulic side of the brake system. Problem two is that the brake unit itself is shot. The system works on pressure and when the unit senses low pressure in the brake system when the brake pedal is applied it will turn the electric pump motor on to assist braking. I would first make sure that your hydraulic side is working correctly. Have you done any recent brake work and if so is the brake system been properly bleed out ? If you are not sure I would gravity bleed the brake system first. Remove the cover from the master cylinder and make sure it is full, leave cover off and open all four bleeders. After about five mins. You should see brake fluid coming from all four corners slowly. Make sure to keep master cylinder full during this process by checking every few minutes. See if there are any air bubbles coming out of the bleeders as well. When it is a solid flow of fluid all of the air is gone and it is safe to close the bleeders. Make sure all bleeders are on top of the calipers, I have seen calipers replaced incorrectly with the bleeders on the bottom. Regards, Bob
the mh has sat up many years but my dad and step mom remember the brakes practically not working at all when they drove it. it has a firm pedal but too firm like it has no power assist so im not thinking its a brake hydraulic issue but its a problem on the boost/assist side...I remember knowing some years ago what kind it is but couldn't find anything lately(guess ill have to go look at it)...lol
Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Bob,

You don't even have your 370 yet, and you are already on the case!! I seriously hope the deal goes through for you.

The first time I test drove my 370, I asked the PO what was up with the brakes?? The thing is a bear to stop, and takes some SERIOUS pedal effort. He claimed that he'd had it checked out, and told me that this is simply the way these things are. Now I wonder if something else may be going on??

You definitely do not tailgate anyone with this thing.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Bob,

You don't even have your 370 yet, and you are already on the case!! I seriously hope the deal goes through for you.

The first time I test drove my 370, I asked the PO what was up with the brakes?? The thing is a bear to stop, and takes some SERIOUS pedal effort. He claimed that he'd had it checked out, and told me that this is simply the way these things are. Now I wonder if something else may be going on??

You definitely do not tailgate anyone with this thing.
maybe theres a better system this beast can run.
BTW wheres the air compressor located?
Old 06-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by romakdaddy View Post
thought I would start another thread about brakes...plus I need some info. I coulda swore I posted about my power brakes a while back but couldn't find it. The gillig chassis uses a strange electric/hydraulic power brake setup and mines acting the fool. question is, whats the name of it and how easy are they to work on? mines not assisting and the motor runs all the time when the drive section power is on.
r/d,

When you say the "motor" runs constantly, are you referring to the air compressor mounted just behind the front bumper?

That air compressor supports the front air bags (ride height), and the parking brake. The 370 does not have "air brakes" as might be found on a big truck.
I'll post some pics of the system from my Gillig manual.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
r/d,

When you say the "motor" runs constantly, are you referring to the air compressor mounted just behind the front bumper?

That air compressor supports the front air bags (ride height), and the parking brake. The 370 does not have "air brakes" as might be found on a big truck.
I'll post some pics of the system from my Gillig manual.
by motor I mean the electric motor on the master cyl. the air compressor question was a random off topic one...lol I was thinking it was behind the bumper but not sure...I've never heard it run the whole time I've owned the 370 so I think it doesn't work(yet another project to tackle)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
So, I am curious......how are you making out with your brake concerns.....have your tested the power steering pump pressure ???
Old 07-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
I've been concentrating on the interior repairs for now but it's been so hot I have put all things airstream and for the most part outside period on hold...lol
Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
Tell me about hot.....we were at the Lewisburg rally earlier this month and went to NC to inspect the 370. It was 104 degrees....I lasted 4 hours.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Spring Lake , Michigan
Sorry to jump this thread but I just did a brake job and when I finished new calipers and all rubber lines and master cylinder I noticed my back axle does not appear to be in park. Is there something else I need to bleed or am I all right to fire it up. 1990 345 LE thanks. Hoping to hit the road tomorrow for a week road trip.
RBonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
After our trip to Cooperstown it is obvious to me that I need new rotors.....has any one replaced their's without going through Gillig and if so do you remember where you got them and the part numbers ? Regards, Bob
Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Bob,

Since changing the pads, I thought you were reasonably happy with the brakes.
Why new rotors?

Charly
Old 10-13-2016, 06:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
Brakes are good, pedal travel is good, long down hill descent tells me that when they get hot they must be warped, steering wheel shakes like crazy while brake pedal is depressed. Thought about resurfacing them, but as long as they're off, if I can find new ones, I'de rather go that way.