Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #341
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Quick question gents. You all steered me away from using tar to seal a hole in my firewall, and towards putty/strip caulk. (No I have not fixed this yet) I picked up 30' of Butyl tape (Strip Caulk), and will seal up this area this weekend in preparation for our holiday road trip to TN and FL. Everything I read says it stays soft, unless exposed to UV, and since this is under the dash, I think it will work nicely. Any final thoughts before I execute?

I think the non-hardening butyl call strip is the way to go.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-flexible-...-bk-2-lbs.html
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Ahoy Nick,
If you and the family are coming thru the panhandle, I'd be happy to offer you a layover spot to stop in at.

My brother and I bought a place about 15 mi inland from Panama City Beach to develope as a base camp for ourselves and friends. It's pretty basic at this point while we wait for permits. But I can get you a 20 amp hook up, and water at this point.

We are right next to Pine log state forest (they also have camping spots around a small lake). And are in easy bicycle range of our place.

I'm staying here now in my coach and really liking the area.

Pm me for details if this is a fit for you.

Cheers Richard

I'm looking forward to becoming a good waypoint for classic motorhome folks traveling to and from south Fla.
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Look at FATMAT too... same thing, different thicknesses available and cheaper....

Did the floor of my Alfa for under $50.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #344
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
So looked at products and application, and determined until I redo the rats nest that is the dash, the butyl tape with duct tape backing in the pass through holes will do.

Also installed the 3rd 100ah lithium this weekend, and battery cut off switch from the isolator to the coach batteries.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #345
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
So looked at products and application, and determined until I redo the rats nest that is the dash,
May the force be with you......I happened to look at John's, as he had it opened to hook up the road brake system; rats nest would be putting it nicely.😟

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #346
Rivet Master

So holiday trip...
1. Wouldn't shift into gear... identified she was idling at 1k, adjusted idle screw to 850rpm, shifted into gear.
2. Lost all coach 12v power camping in relative's driveway. Learned the lithiums have a safety cut-off at 12.5v until they detect a charge condition.
3. Alternator died in Talahasee with 5hrs to go. Turned on aux power and ran lights off of the lithiums until we got there... no problem. Still under warranty, replaced on the beach.
4. It was -5 to 12 on the final leg of the drive back. In order to heat the coach to 70deg while driving, we needed both furnaces, generator running, both rooftop AC heat strips, and two space heaters. In the cold we ran 180deg on the engine.
5. Averaged 11.4mpg going an average of 69mph.
6. Winterized her on the beach seeing the weather on the return trip.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Nick,

..... So you're basically saying that all in all, it was just another typical, relaxing, uneventful vacation.

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #348
Rivet Master

Charly,

Pretty much!

In other news, discovered airstream trailer owners are a judgmental, narrow-minded lot today. Posted this pic on the Facebook page 'Airstream Addicts' got deleted by a rogue administration twice, and full social justice warrior attack on character for it. I don't get it... I see more skin at the beach.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #349
Rivet Master

They deleted it... here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26114309_1208041519329098_8372805550329136797_o.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	301962  
Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #350
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
I think she looks very expensive........I meant the trailer; all the polishing......never mind.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 01-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Shiny! Aluminum also....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #352
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Wouldn't be out of place in the 'room with a view' thread either!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #353
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The addicts have had a problem recently! Trying to find a direction, i guess. Will not include me, though.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #354
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Nick,

No one believes me when I tell them, (I have been repeatedly laughed at and dismissed), but I swear that ever since polishing my 370 I have suffered numerous similar instances of beautiful scantily clad women trying to claw their way inside. Something about the shiny aluminum I guess drives them crazy. I had never imagined that anything like this could be possible, and I justifiably feel threatened by it wherever I go. Even the slightest reflection, or glimmer of chrome has become a trigger for my anxiety. I no longer feel welcomed anymore when I'm out on the road. Clearly, the manufacturers of Nuvite should be required to put a warning label on every can they sell! I think I'll contact my Senators and encourage them to begin an investigation, and hopefully introduce legislation to address this matter. Fortunately I live in Massachusetts, where I'm privileged to have politicians like Sen. Elisabeth Warren who will quickly acknowledge the seriousness of the situation, and endeavor to provide a safer, more inclusive environment for the entire RV community. It is my hope that "Safe Camping" facilities can soon be established throughout the country, where such behavior will be prohibited.
We are blessed to have so many good, hard working people of conscience in government to protect us!

Many thanks for coming forward and posting irrefutable, documented photographic evidence of this phenomenon! You have risked everything for all of us, and should be commended by the entire Airstream community for your bravery.

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I’m just trying to figure out how you managed to type this with your tongue so far into your cheek!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Don’t talk to me about Airstream Addicts.
What a horrible bunch of people there are on there. And then there is the Admins... especially the head one.
Someone posted a question about flying a flag of their trailer... she was barracked about it being racist. I piped up and said it’s up to her what she wants to fly and was attacked, threatened, and PMd by an aextreamly aggressive liberal. The next morning I awoke to a thread personally naming me, with a pack of lies and threats. The post was taken down quickly. Then next week another member was removed for telling a member to ST#U.
I asked why this member was banned and the person who attacked and slandered me wasn’t, and the next minute I was censured for 24 hrs and told if I brought it up again I would be banned too.
Turns out the top admin and my attacker are friends.
All I got was excuses for his behavior and no action.

If you have an opinion other than left leaning you are shut down quickly.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #357
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
360 Diesel Pusher

I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY Facebook page THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". .

They got it all wrong. That’s the new Shamwow bikini top. She’s just polishing her unit.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #358
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Don’t talk to me about Airstream Addicts.
What a horrible bunch of people there are on there. And then there is the Admins... especially the head one.
Someone posted a question about flying a flag of their trailer... she was barracked about it being racist. I piped up and said it’s up to her what she wants to fly and was attacked, threatened, and PMd by an aextreamly aggressive liberal. The next morning I awoke to a thread personally naming me, with a pack of lies and threats. The post was taken down quickly. Then next week another member was removed for telling a member to ST#U.
I asked why this member was banned and the person who attacked and slandered me wasn’t, and the next minute I was censured for 24 hrs and told if I brought it up again I would be banned too.
Turns out the top admin and my attacker are friends.
All I got was excuses for his behavior and no action.

If you have an opinion other than left leaning you are shut down quickly.
My experience also. The site is a joke! I monitor it for the comedy. Too left wing for me.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #359
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Nick,

No one believes me when I tell them, (I have been repeatedly laughed at and dismissed), but I swear that ever since polishing my 370 I have suffered numerous similar instances of beautiful scantily clad women trying to claw their way inside. Something about the shiny aluminum I guess drives them crazy.

Charly
Nothing to do with your coach at all Charly; it's the long flowing silver hair and the Fabio good looks.

Cheers
Tony

Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #360
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I can personally attest to that.....the weekend I spent up at Charly's there seemed to be an endless flow of women stopping by the shop to see what was going on.........although I think most of them worked in the restaurant and were just wondering where he was....Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote