Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #181
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Wanted to thank Martin for making a post about ABS plastic and MEK regarding a bumper repair in a previous thread. It sparked my curiosity, took 20min to research, and found a viable solution to the issue I inherited from the PO on DD. I did a search and found a product on Amazon for joining ABS pipes that comes in black. You can easily see a difference in color, but it is much closer, and very good to see the plastic in a single piece again. Very happy with the outcome.

First picture: Closeup of the damage
Second picture: Closeup of the repair
Third picture: Expanded frame
Looks good Vycan, barely noticable, but I think credit the the ABS/MEK repairs should go to Brad, certainly he is the guy that worked it out!
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Looks good Vycan, barely noticable, but I think credit the the ABS/MEK repairs should go to Brad, certainly he is the guy that worked it out!
And back tracking even farther I would give credit to Keyair. Steve's work on his 345 is where I first realized that you could repair the ABS parts & pieces
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Vycan, that repair looks GREAT! Ive got several cracks that need attention like that.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thanks Mike!

Today I just finished installing the fuel injectors, so one more project checked off. Made a world of difference for smoothing out the sound of the engine. Used Diesel Speed Shop injectors p/n: DSS100HP 12VINJ.

Next weekend its oil change and fluid top off, and then we're off on our next road trip the following week.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #185
Rivet Master

As an added plus, swapping the injectors fixed my slow start problem. Looked at the injectors, and one was replaced on the most recent breakdown back in JAN. of the five remaining 4/5 had cracks on the nozzles.... so might see some improvement. Here's to hoping!
Old 09-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #186
Rivet Master

So I knew my remote start on my generator was not working for a year. Had a bur to check out the harness at the connector. It looked solid, until I began seperating wires. The remote start line corroded through, but remained in place. Easy fix, remote start works again on the genny!

In the last 200 miles of this last trip, we lost the alternator, but had solar charging away, so I depressed aux batt to link the engine and cosh batteries to make it home. Here's my concern:

1. Alternator failed high again in NOV15, replaced as only option on the road.

2. Alternator failed high again on the way home from classic get together. APR16, rebuilt the new unit.

3. Alternator failed with no charge present AUG16.

Seems like a symptom of a bigger issue.

Front AC also trips the breaker everytime it tries to kick on the compressor under generator power, but no issues under shore power.

Family stepped on automatic steps while they were extending, now they are partially functional.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #187
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Failing alternators seem to be a common theme with these diesel pushers as of late. Did Richard ever get to the root of his problem? Might be the same as what you have going on.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
If you are running your generator while the engine is running you might be encountering a back-feed condition taking the alternator out. You could verify this through the battery isolater. You may also have a bad battery causing the alternator to burn itself out. In any case I would check for voltage drops among the various circuits that you have including the solar system you installed. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #189
Rivet Master

Bob,

To clarify a few things to verify the isolator could be the problem:
1. The charger is always selected off when the generator is running.
2. The solar is always on, but managed by the charge controller
3. The isolator is at the back of the coach, i assume is susceptible to heat.
4. I thought it was the batteries too, but they are yellow top optima. If they were flooded I would use a weight test kit. Besides passing a starting test machine at a local auto parts store how else can you test it?

Any ideas on the AC?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #190
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
Nick and all the guys
Sorry I haven't been posting on this trip
I'm in Torrey Ut now after 4,016 mi on the trip so far
Alternator status> tracked down what I believe was the root cause of the problems back in Kansas
The alt is a 2 pin 2 bolt unit 150 amp at what rpm not sure
The top bolt just in front of the 2 pin connector worked its way out and touched the 2 pin connector causing a short which I think ???? Caused the diode inside to blow The diode then leaked enough voltage Back to the Hold Wire on the fuel shut off solenoid to keep it open when you turn the key off
It only takes 4v to hold the solenoid open
The older GM Delco alternator has. 2 pin connector on it with one wire always hot and one wire controlled by the ignition key
I drove about 2 weeks with the alternator isolated from the batteries charging at night in camp then decided to do some Western Pa Redneck modifications
The got the alternator solidly back in the mount then I spliced a 20 amp toggle switch in series with the one wire in the 2 pin connection that is controlled by the ignition key and mounted the toggle next to the coolant bottle by the radiator
The alt is putting out 14 .3 v at the voltage isolator so I connected every thing back properly at the isolator
When the engine is running the the dash volt meter shows 14. 3 Aprox as it always has in the past
When I need to shut it down I turn the ignition key off remove the key and walk around to the rear engine hatch at the radiator open it and turn off the toggle wait for the engine to stop the switch it back on so it is ready to start next time
In Durango I tried to find a replacement alternator but not one to be found anywhere. The 94 Cummins GM/ Delco truck alternator from Napa does NOT fit the alt mount WayToo Small and it was not the old 2 pin design
No model numbers on my alternator so it was
Does anyone out there have the specific model number for this Delco 2 pin alternator??????
I need to pick up one to have as a spare
Regards
Richard
rw1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #191
Rivet Master

My knowledge on isolators is limited. I have two on the coach. The solenoid type and the diode type. I understand the solenoid type, and believe the diode type is a solid state check valve. I have a cole hersee three post rated at 140A. If I understand correctly, it is supposed to charge both house and coach batteries off of the alternator. My coach batteries have only charged off the battery charger since we have owned it. Thus, if my understanding was correct, the isolator always needed replacing.

My multimeter testing showed no reading between alternator post and either battery post, and I ensured to swap leads in the event I had them reversed. It did show a reading between the battery posts at the isolator. Planning to remove nuts on bat1 (engine) and alternator, and just put both of those on alternator post to test the engine.

Richard I have the carquest part number somewhere. Give me a few.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #192
Rivet Master

Carquest part # for alternator is: 71-7853N

Tried bypassing isolator... no luck, alternator is off, disecting now.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Well... found the problem. Looks like the diode trio burnt up as well as two connections of the stator. Going to have to research my electric a bit more as I was confident the two systems are fully isolated.

Currently suspect my isolator failed and that is what caused it because I have continuity between the two battery posts on the diode isolator. Will re-connect everything and verify.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_161357.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	270912  
Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #194
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
It looks ugly in there. You might consider a heavy fuse or breaker in the alternator output line until you get this sorted out. Could get expensive replacing several alternators.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #195
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Well... found the problem. Looks like the diode trio burnt up as well as two connections of the stator. Going to have to research my electric a bit more as I was confident the two systems are fully isolated.

Currently suspect my isolator failed and that is what caused it because I have continuity between the two battery posts on the diode isolator. Will re-connect everything and verify.

Don't know what the rated duty cycle is on these automotive alternators. Kinda like a welder. It might put out 200 amps but they are rated for the number of minutes they can run out of 10 minutes. Lots of load is being demanded of these alternators to charge big banks of batteries.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #196
Rivet Master

Kota,

That's just it, up until now the alternator has only charged the engine battery
Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 AM   #197
Rivet Master

Bob,

Checked for voltage drops yesterday after work. All systems were between. 0.1 and 0.116. Thanks for the tip though, definitely build peace of mind.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #198
Rivet Master

Replaced the run and start capacitors on the forward AC, works like a champ now.

Recieved replacement isolator. It's a 200 amp. Confirmed my electric system crossover was at the isolator diodes are burnt out in the old isolator.

Just leaves the steps and back to awesome!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Isolater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
If you are running your generator while the engine is running you might be encountering a back-feed condition taking the alternator out. You could verify this through the battery isolater. You may also have a bad battery causing the alternator to burn itself out. In any case I would check for voltage drops among the various circuits that you have including the solar system you installed. Regards, Bob
You're welcome. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #200
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
Nick and all the guys
Just some comments on my charging system problems
#1 not sure of my alternator history prior to 3 yrs ago . PO may have had it replaced at some point. I will try to get chassis info from Spartan when I get good wifi
#2 the part number Nick sent me (thanks Nick) did Not look like the alt in my rig??
#3 going to the May MH rally in Pa my alt quit
Bob Nick Mehes and others offered their observations of the problem so as no fix was possible there I just switched the momentary aux batt switch with one of the constant on / off switches fired up the gen and drove the 7 hrs back with no issues . Had it no been snowing and wet roads and needing lights an wipers I wouldn't have needed to use the gen
#4 got home had the alt rebuilt at 150 amp
( Bob don't know if the shop replaced the diodes??shop said it was just burnt up inside what ever that means)
#5 still had the original 140 amp isolator in it and left for Maine noticed some voltage fluctuation on the low side going to Maine ( I have 2 850 cca engine batts and 3 850 cca coach batteries charging off the alt via the old isolator)
#6 in Maine I installed a New 200amp isolator and left for Durango Co. No issues till I hit eastern Co then saw the dash volt meter dropping off intermittently then returning to ~14.3 v
#7 when I got to Co Springs I had the No Engine Shut Down with the ignition key issue
#8 figured it was the fuel shut off solenoid got a new Cummins solenoid in Denver still had the No Shut Down problem but alt was charging
Finally decided to disconnect the alt from the charging circuit and just keep batteries charged in camp at night and continued the trip to Durango with no problems but no alt ( just unplugged the fuel solenoid harness at the end of the day
# 9 in Durango I tried to find a new alt no luck . Alt top bolt had at some point had backed out and shorted the 2 pin connector ( probably back in east Co) and I suspect?? Caused a diode failure leaking voltage back to the Hold wire on the fuel solenoid keeping it open. That bolt was hidden under a cluster of wiring with flex conduit and was not easy to spot until I removed that wiring to expose the top bolt
#10 got the bolt secured firmly spliced in series a 20 amp toggle switch on the on/off wire of the 2 pin connector and mounted the toggle switch back by the radiator so I can access it through the rear engine hatch outside Re connected the alt cable to the isolator and have been running that way since( in Bryce now going to Zion tomorrow)
#11 still looking for a New Alternator but getting batteries charged during driving
#12 don't know for sure if my redneck wiring is correct but I'm in no place to do a proper repair job
#13 Root cause of problem May have been the bolt shorting the 2 pin connection but still doesn't explain the original failure in May . Maybe the number and capacity of the batteries being charged was more than the old alt ( 85 amp build was more than it could take???) the new alt 150 amp rebuild and new 200amp isolator is a better combo for those batteries not sure??
#14 got to find a match for that alternator somewhere. No model # on it but appears to be a heavy duty Delco 2 pin
Any suggestions please let me know
I have about 10,000 more miles left in this trip after doing 4,500 mi so far
Richard
rw1895 is offline   Reply With Quote