Old 11-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ohhhh Donna....ohhhhh Donna (showing some age on my part). She looks great! Good move on catching and the redo of the Michael Jackson crotch grab.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
wxbouy- I will, and there is a great article Dakota wrote about his install as well in the maintenance section. I will refer to that for my reference.

Mayco- No worries and thanks. Feel free to share any other tips I might have missed.

The banks power pack arrived. It's only two boxes. I would say about 6 cuft. Have not had the time to install yet.

I replaced the AAVs at the kitchen and bathroom sink. It is my hope that I can now exhaust my coach without the blackwater tank smell.

Considering tearing into the Banks power pack this weekend. I sprayed penetrating oil on all the nuts/bolts I will need to remove about three weeks ago now, so she's primed and ready.

Awaiting the artist to get with me for painting.

Did I mention I hate the cold?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
360 Diesel Pusher

Pressure wash your engine well from the top down before starting the Banks install. Have some condoms ready (I use fingers off latex gloves) to cover the injectors and pumps. You have to be very clean as one speck of dirt getting into an injector will ruin your day. They also ship new injectors with plastic caps. You could probably get some from a diesel shop. Installing the new injector lines is a bit of a Chinese puzzle.

Blow the new lines out with air before you install them.

If you are equipped with a Winn pump you can purge the lines before hooking them to the injectors. That will flush any contamination out before you blow it into an injector.

Purging and priming the system can be a bit of a trick. You might have to crack open the fittings on individual injectors as you crank it. Don't overheat your starter.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Nose art complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150126-01244.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	231182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150126-01245.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	231183  

Old 01-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Very cool
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Thanks Mayco!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Nice!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #120
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Thanks Dadstoy!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Had to take time off work last week for an emergency trip to the parents house. They are fine, but needed some help getting around after a surgery and some pain making them unable to drive. While I was down there I had the opportunity to steal away into the airstream for a couple of hours, and accomplished a great deal of work.

1. (Completed) Backup camera was not functioning at the purchase of Diesel Donna. Purchased a Sony replacement, and an off brand with a Sony adapter. Did this because all online reviews said the cameras are what goes bad, the monitor almost never goes bad as long as you have indications of operation at the monitor. Neither of the new cameras worked, but the sound was working for all three. tested connectivity with a multimeter... this took some doing, but rigged an adapter and coax cable so I could check each wire with the help of an assistant. Full connectivity. With everything but the monitor checking out decided to begin raiding ebay/salvage stores. Found a monitor for $50.00 but was 'working when tested.' Bought this back in August 2014 with the intent to install on receipt, I made one attempt, but could not get it out. Was able to reach through the rats nest of cables and release the securing thumbscrews, but she would not budge. I decided to put this project on the back burner until our august vacation, or get to it afterwards. Sadly during the vacation there was not enough time to get to it, and work kept me too busy. Also, had no idea how to tackle the dash, so just had it in the back of my mind with my subconscious working away at it. Took the dash apart, removed the old unit. The old unit had residue all over the top of it like someone had spilled something onto it, and installed the new. Crystal clear backup camera for the first time since purchase. Although I am glad I learned to park her without it, because I caught myself totally engrossed in the backup camera when parking her in a familiar location, and realized I did not have the vertical clearance for the maneuver the camera showed I was clear to execute. So I use it as an aid, but my mirrors are still my primary. Also have a ground guide, but the camera makes it easier to see my ground guide.

2. (Completed) The aisle light switch was intermittent, but would work if switched back and forth a few times. From my experience that is a sign of some sort of buildup on a switch, usually carbon. So I took it apart and the previous owner used grease, regular grease, not dielectric grease to smooth the mechanisms operation. Took every switch apart, cleaned with lectramotive cleaner and put in some dielectric grease.

-This is when I found out the switches were supposed to be lighted with the ignition. The green switches on the dash and by the door did not have any back lighting except for the generator and door lock. Took out the bulbs, and could not find a direct replacement at the automotive shop, 12v, 1.2watts. However I found bulb number 73 rated for 14v and 1.1 watts was a great replacement for these switches, now all my switches, both on the dash, and at the entrance are properly lit.

3. (Pending) Ordered day and night RV pleated blinds from this website for our rear window so we do not have to fight with the curtains all the way across. Also showed 40% off, but did little research here, so hoping $95 for 44"w X 24"h was a good deal. Seem a bit pricey.

4. (Pending) Got this nifty add on for the dash. Currently have a three 12v receptacle on the passenger side the Mrs hates, and offered to get this to replace it and the cigarette lighter voltmeter I have there. She is ecstatic about it. So have to install it.

5. (Pending) The Mrs hates one aspect of Diesel Donna, and that is the plastic kitchen vent, so broke down and showed her the stainless steel kitchen vent, so during the airstream christmas sale, we got it during their holiday sale... which was conveniently the prices for all their goods during 2014 just before their mid OCT price hike in preparation for the holiday season and carry on for 2015 pricing... oh well. Will post pictures once installed.

6. (Pending) Airbrush artist made a few mistakes of their own admission, and they will correct in the near future. Basically issues with prep/materials causing the paint to bubble in the artwork on the passenger side, and a little imperfection with the art at the nose on the driver side. Will have all pics posted once completed.

7. (Pending) Banks power pack install. I do not want to start it until I have enough time to complete it in a single stretch. Would love to find a place that will do it for a reasonable price.

8. (To Do) Inverter/charger/solar electric project.

That's it for diesel donna. Hope everyone else's aluminitis is going well and progressing in the various phases of treatment.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Banks Power Pack install

Cons:
1. Fuel Plate install: Tamper resistant screw took much more effort than described in the manual. Could not use the chisel and Flathead screw driver method mentioned, and had to get creative with vise-grips. The vise grip method was needed on all screws for the fuel plate

2. Fuel lines: The QC and manufacturing on the fuel lines was amateur at best. Of six lines one was not bent to the correct angles and would rub on the forward edge of the forward twin ram intake requiring lots of creative solutions. I will contact Banks Power tomorrow to get a replacement #3 fuel line with the correct bends in it.

3. Fuel injectors. Injectors 2 and 3 seep diesel fuel after the install.

4. Compressor access hole was re-positioned from the aft of the engine to in between the twin ram intakes. Creating an aesthetically unpleasing loop. Will look at getting an elbow.

5. The hose clamps that came with the kit for the intake were not large enough to fit over the connector hoses. I had to run to Autozone to get larger ones.

Pros:
1. Four systems to increase torque, airflow, economy, and power. All four systems are easily accessible from the top of the engine.

2. The directions are easy to follow.

3. Everything was fairly easy to do myself. Completed what you see in six hours, with a majority of it doing the dis-assembly, and patiently working to solutions.

Overall: I expected more. For the price tag I would have expected all the correct parts, and error free fuel line production. When replacing the fuel plate I see the previous owner put in a #5 for the max horsepower available to stock configuration at the cost of fuel. While I do not know what the Ottomind plate is equivalent to, I am hoping it will increase fuel economy through breathing better, cooler operating temps, and reduced fuel flow. Most importantly I am hoping to be able to climb any grade at a decent speed without worry about overheating: i.e. 50mph.

Pics:
1. Initial pic
2. Fuel lines detached
3. New intake plenum base and exposed fuel plate
4. New intake plenum base and intermediate towers
5. Twin Ram intake
6. Plumbing for intake complete
7. #2 and 3 injectors weeping diesel (suspect this is because I had to put tension on the #3 line, pulling it towards the injector pump, and secure it with the line holders to keep it from rubbing on the twin ram front tower's leading edge)
8. Close up of #2 weeping diesel with loose bolt in frame to keep the two pics separate
9. Close up of #3 weeping diesel
10. Banks Power Pack 3/4 install complete (Exhaust side of turbo and weeping injectors remain)

Projects on the horizon:
1. Finishing Banks Power Pack install
2. Installing a pleated day/night shade for the back window. Already custom measured, ordered, and received
3. Troubleshooting Allison touch pad transmission shifter (does not go into drive when cold outside)
4. Installing gas strut lift system, or a mechanical lift for the engine compartment
5. 4x 100watt flex solar cells on the roof
6. Finding a wiring Diagram for the 1994 Airstream 360 classic Diesel Pusher
7. Re-clear the bend between the roof and the side of the Airstream where the clear has faded
8. Various imperfections on her body (front passenger bumper, rear driver quarter panel and bumper)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01 Starting.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	232559   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Fuel lines detached.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	232560  

Name:	08 New intake plenum base and exposed fuel plate.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	232561   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Intake plenum and base prepped for twin ram.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	232562  

Name:	11 Twin Ram installed with large loop for air compressor line.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	232563   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 intake plumbing complete.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	232564  

Name:	13 number 2 and three cylinder injectors weeping diesel.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	232565   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 number 2 cylinder bubbling at injector.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	232566  

Name:	15 number three cylinder injector weeping.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	232567   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 three quarters of banks power pack install complete with weeping injectors.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	232568  

Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #123
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
After close examination of the pictures it looks like I need to reseat the O-rings between the injector retaining nut and the injector body.

I also had the chance to install the kitchen vent upgrade this weekend. Pictures below. I will take a picture with how it adds/is inconsequential the next time I have her out of her warm nest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20150214-01253.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	232582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150214-01255.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	232583  

Name:	IMG-20150214-01256.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	232584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150214-01257.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	232585  

Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
360 Diesel Pusher

Everything in my Banks Power Pack fit perfectly. It takes a bunch of patience and a little finesse to lay the injector lines in place. Everything has to be loose and free as you gradually tighten each fitting a turn or two at a time wiggling the whole octopus of lines to let everything lay in place. The support brackets are the last to be tightened.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1424167622.664530.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	232588

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/banks-powerpack-installation-82973.html
Old 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Dakota,

Yep, that's what I did. No matter how I would adjust, the line would cut across the bolt hole on the intake base for the forward left position on the front tower. There was a lot of patience involved. It took about one hour to disassemble, one hour of dry runs without attaching anything, three hours to work through assorted challenges and issues, and one hour to put her all together. (Granted, no time was dedicated to the plumbing of the compressor access to the intake) This does not include dozens of hours of research on other individual's Banks Power Pack installs at various sites.

I do like the way your compressor access is plumbed. When I get out there this weekend I will see about removing the old metal plumbing it is currently attached to, and run it in a similar fashion. (The previous statement captures my own assessment of improvements for next time. Not only take notes of personnel's installs, but save and insert pictures of their installs with notes of what I liked, both aesthetically and functionally.)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
As I recall, I bought a straight hose connector and went straight into the compressor. Or something like that.