Had to take time off work last week for an emergency trip to the parents house. They are fine, but needed some help getting around after a surgery and some pain making them unable to drive. While I was down there I had the opportunity to steal away into the airstream for a couple of hours, and accomplished a great deal of work.
1. (Completed) Backup camera was not functioning at the purchase of Diesel Donna. Purchased a Sony replacement, and an off brand with a Sony adapter. Did this because all online reviews said the cameras are what goes bad, the monitor almost never goes bad as long as you have indications of operation at the monitor. Neither of the new cameras worked, but the sound was working for all three. tested connectivity with a multimeter... this took some doing, but rigged an adapter and coax cable so I could check each wire with the help of an assistant. Full connectivity. With everything but the monitor checking out decided to begin raiding ebay/salvage stores. Found a monitor for $50.00 but was 'working when tested.' Bought this back in August 2014 with the intent to install on receipt, I made one attempt, but could not get it out. Was able to reach through the rats nest of cables and release the securing thumbscrews, but she would not budge. I decided to put this project on the back burner until our august vacation, or get to it afterwards. Sadly during the vacation there was not enough time to get to it, and work kept me too busy. Also, had no idea how to tackle the dash, so just had it in the back of my mind with my subconscious working away at it. Took the dash apart, removed the old unit. The old unit had residue all over the top of it like someone had spilled something onto it, and installed the new. Crystal clear backup camera for the first time since purchase. Although I am glad I learned to park her without it, because I caught myself totally engrossed in the backup camera when parking her in a familiar location, and realized I did not have the vertical clearance for the maneuver the camera showed I was clear to execute. So I use it as an aid, but my mirrors are still my primary. Also have a ground guide, but the camera makes it easier to see my ground guide.
2. (Completed) The aisle light switch was intermittent, but would work if switched back and forth a few times. From my experience that is a sign of some sort of buildup on a switch, usually carbon. So I took it apart and the previous owner used grease, regular grease, not dielectric grease to smooth the mechanisms operation. Took every switch apart, cleaned with lectramotive cleaner and put in some dielectric grease.
-This is when I found out the switches were supposed to be lighted with the ignition. The green switches on the dash and by the door did not have any back lighting except for the generator and door lock. Took out the bulbs, and could not find a direct replacement at the automotive shop, 12v
, 1.2watts. However I found bulb number 73 rated for 14v and 1.1 watts was a great replacement for these switches, now all my switches, both on the dash, and at the entrance are properly lit.
3. (Pending) Ordered day and night RV pleated blinds from this website
for our rear window so we do not have to fight with the curtains all the way across. Also showed 40% off, but did little research here, so hoping $95 for 44"w X 24"h was a good deal. Seem a bit pricey.
4. (Pending) Got this nifty add on
for the dash. Currently have a three 12v
receptacle on the passenger side the Mrs hates, and offered to get this to replace it and the cigarette lighter voltmeter I have there. She is ecstatic about it. So have to install it.
5. (Pending) The Mrs hates one aspect of Diesel Donna, and that is the plastic kitchen vent, so broke down and showed her the stainless steel kitchen vent
, so during the airstream christmas sale, we got it during their holiday sale... which was conveniently the prices for all their goods during 2014 just before their mid OCT price hike in preparation for the holiday season and carry on for 2015 pricing... oh well. Will post pictures once installed.
6. (Pending) Airbrush artist made a few mistakes of their own admission, and they will correct in the near future. Basically issues with prep/materials causing the paint to bubble in the artwork on the passenger side, and a little imperfection with the art at the nose on the driver side. Will have all pics posted once completed.
7. (Pending) Banks power pack install. I do not want to start it until I have enough time to complete it in a single stretch. Would love to find a place that will do it for a reasonable price.
8. (To Do) Inverter/charger/solar electric project.
That's it for diesel donna. Hope everyone else's aluminitis is going well and progressing in the various phases of treatment.