Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Had to take time off work last week for an emergency trip to the parents house. They are fine, but needed some help getting around after a surgery and some pain making them unable to drive. While I was down there I had the opportunity to steal away into the airstream for a couple of hours, and accomplished a great deal of work.

1. (Completed) Backup camera was not functioning at the purchase of Diesel Donna. Purchased a Sony replacement, and an off brand with a Sony adapter. Did this because all online reviews said the cameras are what goes bad, the monitor almost never goes bad as long as you have indications of operation at the monitor. Neither of the new cameras worked, but the sound was working for all three. tested connectivity with a multimeter... this took some doing, but rigged an adapter and coax cable so I could check each wire with the help of an assistant. Full connectivity. With everything but the monitor checking out decided to begin raiding ebay/salvage stores. Found a monitor for $50.00 but was 'working when tested.' Bought this back in August 2014 with the intent to install on receipt, I made one attempt, but could not get it out. Was able to reach through the rats nest of cables and release the securing thumbscrews, but she would not budge. I decided to put this project on the back burner until our august vacation, or get to it afterwards. Sadly during the vacation there was not enough time to get to it, and work kept me too busy. Also, had no idea how to tackle the dash, so just had it in the back of my mind with my subconscious working away at it. Took the dash apart, removed the old unit. The old unit had residue all over the top of it like someone had spilled something onto it, and installed the new. Crystal clear backup camera for the first time since purchase. Although I am glad I learned to park her without it, because I caught myself totally engrossed in the backup camera when parking her in a familiar location, and realized I did not have the vertical clearance for the maneuver the camera showed I was clear to execute. So I use it as an aid, but my mirrors are still my primary. Also have a ground guide, but the camera makes it easier to see my ground guide.

2. (Completed) The aisle light switch was intermittent, but would work if switched back and forth a few times. From my experience that is a sign of some sort of buildup on a switch, usually carbon. So I took it apart and the previous owner used grease, regular grease, not dielectric grease to smooth the mechanisms operation. Took every switch apart, cleaned with lectramotive cleaner and put in some dielectric grease.

-This is when I found out the switches were supposed to be lighted with the ignition. The green switches on the dash and by the door did not have any back lighting except for the generator and door lock. Took out the bulbs, and could not find a direct replacement at the automotive shop, 12v, 1.2watts. However I found bulb number 73 rated for 14v and 1.1 watts was a great replacement for these switches, now all my switches, both on the dash, and at the entrance are properly lit.

3. (Pending) Ordered day and night RV pleated blinds from this website for our rear window so we do not have to fight with the curtains all the way across. Also showed 40% off, but did little research here, so hoping $95 for 44"w X 24"h was a good deal. Seem a bit pricey.

4. (Pending) Got this nifty add on for the dash. Currently have a three 12v receptacle on the passenger side the Mrs hates, and offered to get this to replace it and the cigarette lighter voltmeter I have there. She is ecstatic about it. So have to install it.

5. (Pending) The Mrs hates one aspect of Diesel Donna, and that is the plastic kitchen vent, so broke down and showed her the stainless steel kitchen vent, so during the airstream christmas sale, we got it during their holiday sale... which was conveniently the prices for all their goods during 2014 just before their mid OCT price hike in preparation for the holiday season and carry on for 2015 pricing... oh well. Will post pictures once installed.

6. (Pending) Airbrush artist made a few mistakes of their own admission, and they will correct in the near future. Basically issues with prep/materials causing the paint to bubble in the artwork on the passenger side, and a little imperfection with the art at the nose on the driver side. Will have all pics posted once completed.

7. (Pending) Banks power pack install. I do not want to start it until I have enough time to complete it in a single stretch. Would love to find a place that will do it for a reasonable price.

8. (To Do) Inverter/charger/solar electric project.

That's it for diesel donna. Hope everyone else's aluminitis is going well and progressing in the various phases of treatment.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Banks Power Pack install

Cons:
1. Fuel Plate install: Tamper resistant screw took much more effort than described in the manual. Could not use the chisel and Flathead screw driver method mentioned, and had to get creative with vise-grips. The vise grip method was needed on all screws for the fuel plate

2. Fuel lines: The QC and manufacturing on the fuel lines was amateur at best. Of six lines one was not bent to the correct angles and would rub on the forward edge of the forward twin ram intake requiring lots of creative solutions. I will contact Banks Power tomorrow to get a replacement #3 fuel line with the correct bends in it.

3. Fuel injectors. Injectors 2 and 3 seep diesel fuel after the install.

4. Compressor access hole was re-positioned from the aft of the engine to in between the twin ram intakes. Creating an aesthetically unpleasing loop. Will look at getting an elbow.

5. The hose clamps that came with the kit for the intake were not large enough to fit over the connector hoses. I had to run to Autozone to get larger ones.

Pros:
1. Four systems to increase torque, airflow, economy, and power. All four systems are easily accessible from the top of the engine.

2. The directions are easy to follow.

3. Everything was fairly easy to do myself. Completed what you see in six hours, with a majority of it doing the dis-assembly, and patiently working to solutions.

Overall: I expected more. For the price tag I would have expected all the correct parts, and error free fuel line production. When replacing the fuel plate I see the previous owner put in a #5 for the max horsepower available to stock configuration at the cost of fuel. While I do not know what the Ottomind plate is equivalent to, I am hoping it will increase fuel economy through breathing better, cooler operating temps, and reduced fuel flow. Most importantly I am hoping to be able to climb any grade at a decent speed without worry about overheating: i.e. 50mph.

Pics:
1. Initial pic
2. Fuel lines detached
3. New intake plenum base and exposed fuel plate
4. New intake plenum base and intermediate towers
5. Twin Ram intake
6. Plumbing for intake complete
7. #2 and 3 injectors weeping diesel (suspect this is because I had to put tension on the #3 line, pulling it towards the injector pump, and secure it with the line holders to keep it from rubbing on the twin ram front tower's leading edge)
8. Close up of #2 weeping diesel with loose bolt in frame to keep the two pics separate
9. Close up of #3 weeping diesel
10. Banks Power Pack 3/4 install complete (Exhaust side of turbo and weeping injectors remain)

Projects on the horizon:
1. Finishing Banks Power Pack install
2. Installing a pleated day/night shade for the back window. Already custom measured, ordered, and received
3. Troubleshooting Allison touch pad transmission shifter (does not go into drive when cold outside)
4. Installing gas strut lift system, or a mechanical lift for the engine compartment
5. 4x 100watt flex solar cells on the roof
6. Finding a wiring Diagram for the 1994 Airstream 360 classic Diesel Pusher
7. Re-clear the bend between the roof and the side of the Airstream where the clear has faded
8. Various imperfections on her body (front passenger bumper, rear driver quarter panel and bumper)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Starting.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	232559   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Fuel lines detached.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	232560  

Name:	08 New intake plenum base and exposed fuel plate.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	232561   Click image for larger version

Name:	09 Intake plenum and base prepped for twin ram.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	232562  

Name:	11 Twin Ram installed with large loop for air compressor line.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	232563   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 intake plumbing complete.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	232564  

Name:	13 number 2 and three cylinder injectors weeping diesel.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	232565   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 number 2 cylinder bubbling at injector.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	232566  

Name:	15 number three cylinder injector weeping.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	232567   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 three quarters of banks power pack install complete with weeping injectors.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	232568  

Old 02-16-2015, 11:34 PM   #123
Rivet Master

After close examination of the pictures it looks like I need to reseat the O-rings between the injector retaining nut and the injector body.

I also had the chance to install the kitchen vent upgrade this weekend. Pictures below. I will take a picture with how it adds/is inconsequential the next time I have her out of her warm nest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20150214-01253.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	232582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150214-01255.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	232583  

Name:	IMG-20150214-01256.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	232584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150214-01257.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	232585  

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 AM   #124
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
360 Diesel Pusher

Everything in my Banks Power Pack fit perfectly. It takes a bunch of patience and a little finesse to lay the injector lines in place. Everything has to be loose and free as you gradually tighten each fitting a turn or two at a time wiggling the whole octopus of lines to let everything lay in place. The support brackets are the last to be tightened.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1424167622.664530.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	232588

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82973
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Dakota,

Yep, that's what I did. No matter how I would adjust, the line would cut across the bolt hole on the intake base for the forward left position on the front tower. There was a lot of patience involved. It took about one hour to disassemble, one hour of dry runs without attaching anything, three hours to work through assorted challenges and issues, and one hour to put her all together. (Granted, no time was dedicated to the plumbing of the compressor access to the intake) This does not include dozens of hours of research on other individual's Banks Power Pack installs at various sites.

I do like the way your compressor access is plumbed. When I get out there this weekend I will see about removing the old metal plumbing it is currently attached to, and run it in a similar fashion. (The previous statement captures my own assessment of improvements for next time. Not only take notes of personnel's installs, but save and insert pictures of their installs with notes of what I liked, both aesthetically and functionally.)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
As I recall, I bought a straight hose connector and went straight into the compressor. Or something like that.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #127
Rivet Master

I contacted Banks, and they profusely appologized. They are sending a new line out directly to me, and ask that I send the old one back to send to their engineering department for QC and review. Outstanding customer service.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Didn't have to use their customer support. Their technical wasn't very helpful. Mine went kinda rich on me after a year. They implied that it was common but gave no useful advise on tuning. I took it to a local shop that had a lot of experience with the P1700. They cranked the star wheel back. Cleaned up the smoke and made it more drivable without robbing noticeable power. The EGT doesn't climb as high so I don't have to watch the EGT as closely. Do watch your EGT!
Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I am a diesel novice for sure. Just what is the proper driving procedure when you see the EGT getting to dangerous levels. The trip west in April will be the first time Ive driven in mountains (in a motorhome) so Ive been wondering about this. I assume shifting to keep the rpm s in the sweet spot is most important but if Im on a long incline and see my egt climb above 1300 lets say, just what do I do? Pul over and let it idle until the egt temps come down? Thanks fellas.
Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #130
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I am a diesel novice for sure. Just what is the proper driving procedure when you see the EGT getting to dangerous levels. The trip west in April will be the first time Ive driven in mountains (in a motorhome) so Ive been wondering about this. I assume shifting to keep the rpm s in the sweet spot is most important but if Im on a long incline and see my egt climb above 1300 lets say, just what do I do? Pul over and let it idle until the egt temps come down? Thanks fellas.

Mike

Back off and downshift. You should be able continue at a slower speed and keep the RPM up. I wouldn't stop unless your water temp gets high.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Kota
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #132
Rivet Master

fixed the push button transmission pad. PO spilled coke on it, and just needed a thorough cleaning.

Finished power pack install.

Installed pleated shade in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20150221-01269.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	232943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150221-01267.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	232944  

Old 02-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Kota,

Is the star wheel adjustment something i can do?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #134
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Pretty easy. You can google it. You need a good understanding of the P1700 to set it up correctly. I had mine done by a shop when I had the Allison serviced. There is a trade off between power and burning up your engine.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I'm liking those shades. Where did you get them?
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Here: Blinds – Window Treatments - Window Blinds and Shades - Horizontal Blinds - Window Shutters

So interesting story about the powerpack install. Went out to install and found out the exhaust side of the turbo already had the Banks Big Head installed. I already have EGT and Boost gauges, and I looked at the fuel plate to confirm the number the PO had. It was an 8. So basically I swapped out the 8 for an ottomind, and installed the twin ram and new fuel lines. Overall... I have a Banks Stinger system in left over parts for a 5.9L motorhome.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #137
Rivet Master

Spent the weekend working on the RV again. Got the weeping injectors for #2 and #5 cylinders taken care of. Still have weeping at #3.

Rerouted the air compressor feed line so it doesn't look like a big dorky curl.

Mrs wanted a new faucet in the kitchen, so ordered a Vigo, and went to do the install. This was a bit of a PITA. The space under there is not large enough to get a tool into position and actually loosen the retaining nuts. Even with penetrating oil the restriction was movement space. So the sink had to come out. The sink was held in by six clamps. Two on each side, and one fore and aft. However what was really holding it in there was the caulk. I used a straight razor scrapper at an angle to try and separate them, but to no avail, I ended up using a 2" putty knife, and that worked wonders. Once the sink was out, used goo gone on it to finish the cleanup, and used the putty knife to clean the counter top mating surface. Also took the time to clean that counter under the sink lip since it had 20 years of build up, debris, and I do not know what.

Started the sink at about 1:30pm had to take a break for parts run because the motor home supply line was 1/2" and the new sink's lines were 3/8" compression. Also noted the counter top hole was 1 1/4" and the new faucet body was 1 3/8". Went to pick up cleaner, drill bits, my drill from home, and and caulk at around 4:30pm. Came back around 5:30pm and realized the shaft of my cutout adapter I grabbed was too big for the drill I had... undeterred I used a standard drill bit and ground the sides until the faucet body fit, had to do multiple test runs for placement, and ensure the hold I cut was straight, but the base was 2" and the retaining nut was 2" so I had a nice margin of error. Additionally I checked it frequently and once I had a snug fit that was true vertical I called it. By 6:00pm all adapters were teflon taped, and I was ready for final install. Had everything assembled by and caulked by 6:30pm. Cleanup and tool collection/maintenance complete by 7:00pm.

As is consistent with my projects, the majority of time was spent with dis-assembly, pictures for reference, and problem solving the random curve balls I face.

Below pictures are:
1. Final install of banks picture
2. Initial picture of the faucet
3. Beneath the sink with the rear back splash removed, you can see the door lock actuator, lock control module, the propane line for the catalytic heater, and the water lines. That black rounded cylinder is a water accumulator for the cold water.
4. Four is the counter top, sink removed and a picture of all the buildup from twenty years, and of course, the old faucet.
5. The new Vigo faucet with soap dispenser. Because the hold system had the control head to the left of the central faucet and the new system has the control head on the faucet I had an extra hole to play with. I have seen people cap these, but I wanted a soap dispenser for dawn. As you can see in the picture it stays next to the sink, and is a bit of an eye sore. So now that bottle will disappear beneath the sink, and we will have a bump readily available. The soap dispenser refills by pulling straight up on the head and pouring it down the exposed hole. This new setup is a faucet sprayer combination, with single touch selection, the faucet can come out over the sink and now allows us to fill large containers from somewhere in the motor home besides the shower or the lower exterior drain.
6. Sink is caulked, done in 2 minutes with a small tube of white high gloss caulk and a caulking tool. One minute to place all around, 30 seconds to trace with the tool, and 30 seconds to wipe any residue the tool pushed off the sides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18 Final Install complete.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	233442   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Starting with covers off.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	233443  

Name:	03 Beneath the sink with rear back splash removed.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	233444   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Sink Removed.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	233445  

Name:	05 New Faucet installed no caulk on the sink.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	233446   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Complete.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	233447  

Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Did you get a chance to drive it with the Banks yet?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Kota I have not. I am working on troubleshooting and fixing the injector leak first. By the way, Banks sent me another #3 line, and the next one had the same problem, but not as bad as the first.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #140
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Interesting seeing that your air cleaner is located where I relocated mine to. I assume that was the factory location. Looks like your exhaust brake was a retrofit. How well does it work? I'm in the process of installing a Pac Brake PR system. Where are your batteries located?

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425474346.404623.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	233559