Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquefort View Post
Hi Dave and Felicia,
I have missplaced my invoice, but you may find on the website from
- www.shokwarehouse.com - all informations. Go to the "search by vehicle" section, choose Chevrolet P30 + the year of your rig. Then you will see all options. We have bought the expensivest Bilstein HD shoks, they had. My thought was, "cheap can't be good"...! Maybe i am wrong, but anyhow, the Bilsteinshoks (HD!!!) where about 340,- Bucks front and rear only! I am from Germany, we will pay here this amount for only one pair in Euro, what we oayed there for both!
Our 345 drove very smooth then, Bill, the "old" owner was very surprised and impressed about the result if changing shoks. Tag axle is a OEM Airstreamshok!
The bags in frontcoil are from "Airlift", we put only 55 psi, like in manual, everything was fine.
By the way, shokwarehouse ship's free, if you order fr at least 90,-$ !!! The guy who served me was Carlos Escalante, he was very "handsome".
Have a great day.

P.S. Our "baby" is still on the ocean...! ETA is 27th of may, we count the days!!!

Thanks for the info!!

You have to post pics once you get her there and on the road. I bet it will be something cruising around Germany!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Dave ,
The 70 psi in the front air bags is really a test , a number just pulled out the air . There is a tag that says 45 to 90 psi so I am trying 70 psi . The ride might be a little rougher but the handling is good , if I want a great ride I drive my caddy . Now I have replaced the steering stab , front shocks , 70 psi in bags and greased the front end . I believed that this has been a 90 % improvement on the wandering handling problem . The next step will be ball joints , which have some play and new springs , and of course the springs will be heavier than stock . Opps al most forgot the front shocks are Bilsteins 24 - 011730 46mm I got them off Amazon.com cost about $100 per shock . Next big project will be carb , intake and headers and trash the smog pump crap ., but that will be in the distant future .

Joe

p.s. still need to install drive axle shocks and replace tag axle shocks . . . etc

Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Berg View Post
Dave ,
The 70 psi in the front air bags is really a test , a number just pulled out the air . There is a tag that says 45 to 90 psi so I am trying 70 psi . The ride might be a little rougher but the handling is good , if I want a great ride I drive my caddy . Now I have replaced the steering stab , front shocks , 70 psi in bags and greased the front end . I believed that this has been a 90 % improvement on the wandering handling problem . The next step will be ball joints , which have some play and new springs , and of course the springs will be heavier than stock . Opps al most forgot the front shocks are Bilsteins 24 - 011730 46mm I got them off Amazon.com cost about $100 per shock . Next big project will be carb , intake and headers and trash the smog pump crap ., but that will be in the distant future .

Joe

p.s. still need to install drive axle shocks and replace tag axle shocks . . . etc
Tag axle shocks are the same horizontal shocks that Airstream trailers use.

Andy
Old 05-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Does anyone know how Koni FSD's compare with the Bilstien HD units as far as the amount of dampening?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Dave,
I would call Koni and Bilstein and talk to their engineer guy about dampening . I called Bilstein and ended up . . . more educated LOL . Share your front problem with them and see what they say . Talking with them was not the reason for buying Bilstein I had the I wants i.e. 345 airstream , yama roadstar , caddy etc .

Joe
Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #48
1988 Meets High-Tech

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Smurf Village , North Dakota
My Airstream came with coil over shocks on the front as well as helper airbags. I was able to find replacement shocks and switch the springs onto the new shocks. I am sure I can locate the company name and information. I also have some photos of the job in progress somewhere. Bottom line is they are factory original and you can keep them. Replacing mine along with new helper airbags filled to 55 PSI made a huge difference in the ride and drive of my Airstream.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #49
1988 Meets High-Tech

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
I bought the shocks from an off road specialty company. They should be easy to locate with the provided .pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4Way SS copy.pdf (371.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #50
1988 Meets High-Tech

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The only photo I could easily find was the new shock installed on the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6191.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	213594