Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well 10 mpg is a stretch. I checked it on the way to Floirda last week and was getting 8.5 mpg at 65-68 mph (2900-3000rpm) without the genset running. If I slow down I can get it up to 9-9.5 but I look at time as being money. A GearVendor unit would be nice.... so would a lottery winning ticket.... my wish list is sooooooo long.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #16
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Well, I guess I shouldn't cry too much. I get 6-7 pulling my Suzuki and it don't matter it I go 55 or 70, I get 6-7.
I threw the carb, smog pumps, and all the vacuum lines to them in the recycle bin and installed TBI. That delivered my sliver bullet from a pitiful, powerless 4mpg. I also have the complete Banks intake/exhaust system.
It is getting close to needing an overhaul or do I see Diesel in my furture?
Mel

Old 02-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
So I had the ranchos installed as well as the roadmeaster sway bar, bilstein dampener, steer safe and new bell cranks. drives much better and doesn't porpoise like it did. now the alternator doesn't carry enough load to drive the lights,and turn signals at the same time. the air horns that are brand new from camping world has a bad connection ... will this never end? The brake hoses were just replaced at CW and the brakes were supposedly fixed which i assumed meant bled but my rear ending of a SUV because the brake pedal went to the floor on a panic stop kind of clued me that they didn't bleed them. so now i'm sitting at my sister's in Mandarin, FL and looking for a repisr shop that actually repairs things! anybody no anyone within fifty miles of here? CW says they only install and don't repair. Nice job if you can get it.I'm beginning to think i should have bought a new winnebago or something.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Definetely NOT

You will go thru a phase of repairing little things and occasionally a big one but then you will have soo many trouble free trips the pain of the repairs will fade away. I had ours out today to get fuel and install a "T" in the propane line so we can run a "fire dancer" off it and got compliments everywhere I stopped. Debbie
PS what is CW going to do about not bleeding your brakes?? also you might want to PM Lewster--he might have a suggestion of a FLorida shop
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpapke
So I had the ranchos installed as well as the roadmeaster sway bar, bilstein dampener, steer safe and new bell cranks. drives much better and doesn't porpoise like it did. now the alternator doesn't carry enough load to drive the lights,and turn signals at the same time. the air horns that are brand new from camping world has a bad connection ... will this never end? The brake hoses were just replaced at CW and the brakes were supposedly fixed which i assumed meant bled but my rear ending of a SUV because the brake pedal went to the floor on a panic stop kind of clued me that they didn't bleed them. so now i'm sitting at my sister's in Mandarin, FL and looking for a repisr shop that actually repairs things! anybody no anyone within fifty miles of here? CW says they only install and don't repair. Nice job if you can get it.I'm beginning to think i should have bought a new winnebago or something.
Sounds like you may have a Camping World problem, and not an Airstream problem.
The alternator issue has been addressed here, many people have installed LED clearance lights, it cuts way down on power consumption, they are brighter, and will last for decades.
Try calling Jerry Hamm Chevrolet, they should be able to take care of you.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpapke
I'm beginning to think i should have bought a new winnebago or something.
Don't think for a second that a "new" motorhome of any brand will be trouble free. Many owners of new motorhomes are amazed at how often (and long) it takes to work the kinks out of a new motorhome. The joke in the RV Biz is that the dealer is the last ten feet of the production line.

These are complex machines and not everything works all of the time. Especially on a Classic like yours. I spent almost a year "under" mine...but now things are reliable and work (most of the time) and I get to drive a true classic for far less than the payments on a new Winnie.

Hang in there! It will get better.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote