1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Any update or did we kill this thread?

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
No, 'tain't dead. I just have a different pace of work to a lot of people!

Brake stuff taking a back seat to yard work just at the mo, and AS up on jacks as I work on the air tank. The Hoosier tank I bought turned out to be exactly the same dimensions as my stock one, although I was looking for a 26x8 and bought a 24x8. But the new tank was apparently listed by the length of the flat cylinder portion, not including the domes at either end, if that makes sense, Although it's the same size, the "ports" are different, so I had to get reducer bushings yesterday. The old tank was all 1/4" NPT and the new is one 3/4", 2x1/2", one 3/8" and the drain port is 1/4". It's quite a reduction to go from 3/4" to 1/4" and I've had to do that one in two steps.

I'm also going to be tracing the tubing and wiring.... a PO had obviously rebuilt the entire system, with a brand new compressor and all new components (probably except the tank) and something is wrong, because the compressor was running constantly and I had to disconnect the 12v feed to it to stop it. I have seen a couple of threads on the subject, so hopefully will sort it out..... first step is to trace which tube goes where while my wife is home today.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on flex lines cwf. Those Spiegler lines are very pretty..... pity to hide them under a MH though! But very good suggestion, and I'll take a good look at the lines when I get back to the brakes.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penmaenmawr View Post
I haven't started my '88 chassis '89 model year 345 for about a year. It started fine, but I have no brakes, except hand lever parking brake. As I press the pedal, I can feel it thinking about kicking back at me when it's about 3/4 down, but I can still press the pedal to the floor, and I don't appear to have any brakes at all. No large amounts of fluid anywhere that I've found. Any obvious solutions to this before I start to tear into everything, like maybe something simple and stupid I've done or not done, which is usually the case? Brakes were perfect when parked. Power steering still works fine, but I'm not sure if it's a common system, as I've read something about hydroboost (?) and cannot see a brake servo.

Any advice would be appreciated.
IMHO, you have a bad Master Cylinder. I always have checked Master Cylinders by keeping the pressure on the pedal and if it continues to fade its bad.
If that's the case make sure !! to get the right Master Cylinder. If the plunger size is off just by a fraction of an inch, you can "preload" you brakes to the point of a lock-up, which can take hundreds of miles.
Sounds crazy, yes, but I have been there, so have others.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Soooooo.... finally I get around to the brake problem again.

I removed the front driver side wheel, then the plate shielding the MC. BOTH reservoirs are empty. No sign of a leak or dampness anywhere on the braking system, although there is sign of chronic weeping of lines from the PS system.

Question: Is it possible that the master cylinder is leaking into the hydroboost system? Seems like it would have to go uphill to do so. Otherwise I don't know where the fluid is going. The fluid loss has occurred over a year when the vehicle has been parked.

Just off to town to get a 55 gallon barrel of brake fluid. I guess I'll just have to fill and pump and fill and pump until I see it squirting.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I haven't started my '88 chassis '89 model year 345 for about a year. It started fine, but I have no brakes, except hand lever parking brake. As I press the pedal, I can feel it thinking about kicking back at me when it's about 3/4 down, but I can still press the pedal to the floor, and I don't appear to have any brakes at all. No large amounts of fluid anywhere that I've found. Any obvious solutions to this before I start to tear into everything, like maybe something simple and stupid I've done or not done, which is usually the case? Brakes were perfect when parked. Power steering still works fine, but I'm not sure if it's a common system, as I've read something about hydroboost (?) and cannot see a brake servo.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The tag axle brakes are the same electric brakes that the trailers use.

Andy
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Probably time for a flush of the system, so instead of removing old, starting with fresh, use that mirror to determine condition of supply tank, before pouring in new fluid.
You didn't say what your year's storage conditions were, inside, heated or out in the weather.
Hope you find the reason for missing fluid, nothing worse than fixing something and not finding the cause of the problem.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Storage has been under cover but unheated. The occasional 40 below, average midwinter night about zero to -10. Quite mild.

Bought a gallon of Dot 3. Also ordered a master cylinder and think I'll fit it anyway, here tomorrow hopefully (and I hope it's the right one). LOOKS ...... like a straightforward job with good access. Hope I don't regret these words.

Thought I might as well bleed the existing MC since there's nothing else I can do this evening. Bled apparently fine, but then I tried the brakes and they still don't work, and no feeling of the power boost kicking back at me. Fluid levels in the MC did not go down as a result of a lot of pumping.....maybe I didn't get all the air out of it? Power steering fluid level seems fine and PS is working. Still no apparent leaks around the brake system.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Does anyone have a part number for the master cylinder? I am worried because the picture I saw at the auto supply store, although the body looked like the same MC as mine, had a different lid. There was only one option for a 1988 P-30 with 7.4 litre V8, rear disc brakes, and 16,500 lb GVW, so it SHOULD be right. (Mine is a 1989 model 345LE)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Does anyone have a part number for the master cylinder? I am worried because the picture I saw at the auto supply store, although the body looked like the same MC as mine, had a different lid. There was only one option for a 1988 P-30 with 7.4 litre V8, rear disc brakes, and 16,500 lb GVW, so it SHOULD be right. (Mine is a 1989 model 345LE)
Lid and reservoir size varies, whats important is the exact measurement of where the pushrod hits the plunger of the primary piston to the mounting surface. And I mean exact to a hundreds of an inch. If its less than your old, you have to use a spacer, if its more you need a different master cylinder.
AIR #13
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Peter sure nailed that one. Our 310 sat in a repair shop in Little Rock for a month because they couldn't seem to get the right combination for the master cylinder mating to the hydroboost push rod.

Hopefully you'll have better luck that I did!
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Hmmm. That's a bit scary. Thanks for the heads up, it could save me a lot of trouble. Googling finds me PBR master cylinder W0133-1616833 which looks like mine, but said to be for '86 to '95 CK 3500 etc. etc. I guess that's going to turn out to be quite a few different pushrods and I'll have to be pretty lucky to get the right one!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hmmm. That's a bit scary. Thanks for the heads up, it could save me a lot of trouble. Googling finds me PBR master cylinder W0133-1616833 which looks like mine, but said to be for '86 to '95 CK 3500 etc. etc. I guess that's going to turn out to be quite a few different pushrods and I'll have to be pretty lucky to get the right one!

you keep your old pushrod, its the plunger space thats critical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mascylinder.gif
Views:	48
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	191227  
AIR #13
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I'm pretty sure the push rod is part of the hydroboost. I believe the key is to ensure the depth of the hole in the m/c piston is the same depth on the new m/c as it is on the old m/c.

I think what happened in my case was the repair shop recieved the replacement m/c, didn't verify the depth and shipped the old one out as a core without compaing piston depth. Later after I drove out of their parking lot only to find out the brake pedal went almost to the floor and didn't really stop the motorhome did they then realized they had a problem. About ten master cylinders later they finally got the correct one. I believe they tried several different vendors trying to find the right one.

I'm sure you'll have better luck
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'm pretty sure the push rod is part of the hydroboost. I believe the key is to ensure the depth of the hole in the m/c piston is the same depth on the new m/c as it is on the old m/c.

I think what happened in my case was the repair shop recieved the replacement m/c, didn't verify the depth and shipped the old one out as a core without compaing piston depth. Later after I drove out of their parking lot only to find out the brake pedal went almost to the floor and didn't really stop the motorhome did they then realized they had a problem. About ten master cylinders later they finally got the correct one. I believe they tried several different vendors trying to find the right one.

I'm sure you'll have better luck
Brad, you were lucky to have no brakes, mine locked up . And this is the scary part, which I would not believe if someone would tell me: It took over 200 miles of incremental pre-loading of the Master cylinder. Once I untighten the mounting nuts the brakes gradually released.

AIR #13