Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
We still have the original single vacuum step, and did not know what the correct mode of operation was. One day, as I shut the door I heard the step pull up... which I had not heard before...
Turned out after a bit of fiddling, it was the little button switch in the fwd edge of the door was sticking... a quick squirt of WD40 and its been fine since.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Our old vacuum steps would stop working due to mud daubers plugging the vent line. It's amazing how energetic those critters are.

I decided to replace the vacuum single step with electric double steps because the vacuum steps had been slightly damaged in the past and sagged down in one corner. Plus the step platform was physically smaller than the double step platforms.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim
I thought if the door was closed and the ignition was on the steps were supposed to retract.

As I recall my steps stay open when the switch by the door is in the "off" position and retract when the ignition is turned on. When the switch is in the "on" position they open and close with the door.
On mine there is a rocker switch near the door labeled "STEP". With the switch off the step remains in whatever position it was in when the switch was turned off. If the ignition is turned on the step retracts if the door is closed regardless of rocker switch position.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If the ignition is turned on the step retracts if the door is closed regardless of rocker switch position.
This is where mine seems to be different. This weekend I need to verify the ignition wire I'm using to makes sure it is really powered from the ignition like I thought. One other possibility would be a poor crimp connection on my part.

Thanks for the feed back.

Brad
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
They do sell different versions of the controller. I think one is for trailers without the ignition safety.

http://www.rvweb.net/tech_lib/Quickee.html
Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
My manual specifically states the steps should retract when the ignition is turned on. I wanted to make sure I understood the operation of the manual override switch. With my manual override switch set to keep the steps extended, they stay extended even with the ignition on which according to what everyone else seems to be reporting they should retract.

I'll verify the wiring this weekend and if it still doesn't work correctly I'll have to contact Kwikee.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
My manual specifically states the steps should retract when the ignition is turned on. I wanted to make sure I understood the operation of the manual override switch. With my manual override switch set to keep the steps extended, they stay extended even with the ignition on which according to what everyone else seems to be reporting they should retract.

I'll verify the wiring this weekend and if it still doesn't work correctly I'll have to contact Kwikee.

Thanks,

Brad
Only if the door is closed on mine. Be a dirty trick to retract the step with the door open just because the ignition was turned on.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Only if the door is closed on mine. Be a dirty trick to retract the step with the door open just because the ignition was turned on.
That's the problem. If the switch is set to lock the steps extended, even with the door closed when the ignition turns on the steps don't retract.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:

That's the problem. If the switch is set to lock the steps extended, even with the door closed when the ignition turns on the steps don't retract.
You're not powering the steps with the coach battery and key on (ignition) from the engine battery?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
You're not powering the steps with the coach battery and key on (ignition) from the engine battery?
To the best of my knowledge, no I'm not. However that is why I need to review my wiring to make sure it is installed as specified. I find it hard to believe the controller would be bad out of the box so my first assumption would be any wiring changes that I made are suspect.

Stay tuned...

Brad
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, no I'm not. However that is why I need to review my wiring to make sure it is installed as specified. I find it hard to believe the controller would be bad out of the box so my first assumption would be any wiring changes that I made are suspect.

Stay tuned...

Brad
The original factory installation had a normally open magnetic door switch. Now, is that normally open with the magnet present or not. AS guessed wrong. They reversed the wires between the controller and motor to make the steps go the right direction. The safety never worked. The PO beat them to death on curbs leading to me having to replace them.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
The original factory installation had a normally open magnetic door switch. Now, is that normally open with the magnet present or not. AS guessed wrong. They reversed the wires between the controller and motor to make the steps go the right direction. The safety never worked. The PO beat them to death on curbs leading to me having to replace them.
Now you have me wondering. I'm using the existing door switch from the vacuum steps. When the door is closed and you open it the steps extend. When you close the door the steps retract.

When I turn "on" the override switch the steps will stay extended. In this application turning the switch "on" applies +12vdc to the controller.

The test I performed was to open the door, turn the override switch "on" and then closed the door. The steps stayed extended. Turned the ignition on and the steps still stayed extended. Opened the door, turned the overrride switch to "off" and then closed the door and the steps retracted.

I'll have to check out all of the combinations this weekend to see just what is really happening. I can't see where changing the door switch (in the frame) to a NC switch, I would think the steps would work backwards.

Brad
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Airstream used both normally open and normally closed door switch. Mine failed and the first one I received was normally closed. Without checking it I installed it and my steps extended when I closed the door and retracted when I opened the door. A few phone calls and a bit of time and I received the correct switch. Both switches looked identical. You might need to verify which switch is needed for the electric step application. By the way my steps are the original vacuum operated.

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #28
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
bkahler you stated (When I turn "on" the override switch the steps will stay extended. In this application turning the switch "on" applies +12vdc to the controller. ) What is the amperage draw on the batteries when you have the overide switch "on"? Is it enough that it would be a concern when you don't have 110 volt AC available and using battery power only?