Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Exclamation 310 exhaust

I have acquired the Hedmann headers for the 454, but I am having difficulty getting a response from the likes of Hedmann and Summit to complete the system with that Balance pipe. I had planned to replace the exhaust with a more efficient system in order to improve the fuel consumption..... HOWEVER...... I also....

After grounding out leaving a fuel station I have come to the conclusion that the LPG(propane) conversion for the engine, I had planned on, is a bit "iffy" to say the least when it comes to finding space for a reasonable size tank(s). The grounding really proves the point. I would hate to damage a Propane tank! A lot of hump-back bridges and the like in the UK compounds the issue.

I have been offered the 6.5 Diesel V8 out of an Ambulance, complete with I think, a four or five speed auto box.

The questions on my mind are... Will the header fit the diesel? I assume, as it is the same engine maker(?) that they use the same/similar block and heads. Has any one done this conversion?

I worked it out that the LPG (Propane) conversion on the engine in the UK will POSSIBLY give a running cost equivalent to about 18MPG, where as the diesel I hope will return about 20-22 mpg.

Certainly the cost of the engine to me would be less on the install, with just some small modifications to the fuel lines and a tank clean. It does mean that moving the levelling jacks and air receiver is not necessary to squeeze in the LPG tanks, that's a great bonus. I caried out a similar conversion from petrol 3.5 V8 in a Range Rover to a Nissan RD28 diesel engine, and that was well worth while.

Any comments would be gratefully received and acknowledged.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Chuck the headers are designed for a big block chevy and likely will not fit your new oil burner.... a crossover pipe is not a "cast in stone" requirement. I don't have one.
The H pipe generally is done by your muffler shop as it's just a welded pipe unit aft of the collectors.
Return on investment is the figure I always look to and I have just run about 50,000 miles in two years with my rig.
Cost of propane and availablility on top of the retrofit cost turned me away. The best ROI I saw was the GearVendor unit.
I think your expectations on Diesel MPG are a bit opptomistic to say the least. All the diesel AS factory units get mid teens at best.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Glen, Now I am depressed!

There I was in "Cloud Cuckoo Land" thinking I could beat the MPG battle, but I wont give up yet..... Just to spur me on, we recently returned from a 350 mile trip to Wales and Devon, towing a KarKaddy with a Vauhaul Corsa on it and returned 11.8 MPG on the trip. This weekend we went to London City and back (About 380Miles) complete with miles of traffic jams and in the end, High speed freeway driving (I wanted to get home!) and returned 11.7MPG. Not as good as the 13.1 on a same trip done some time ago, but then there were no jams, and a restful drive there and back. Just goes to show what the driving conditions and the right foot can do!

Apparently I just heard that it is the 6.2 ltr Diesel, but that's all at this time. I hope to see it during the next week or two.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Glen, Now I am depressed!

There I was in "Cloud Cuckoo Land" thinking I could beat the MPG battle, but I wont give up yet..... Just to spur me on, we recently returned from a 350 mile trip to Wales and Devon, towing a KarKaddy with a Vauhaul Corsa on it and returned 11.8 MPG on the trip. This weekend we went to London City and back (About 380Miles) complete with miles of traffic jams and in the end, High speed freeway driving (I wanted to get home!) and returned 11.7MPG. Not as good as the 13.1 on a same trip done some time ago, but then there were no jams, and a restful drive there and back. Just goes to show what the driving conditions and the right foot can do!

Apparently I just heard that it is the 6.2 ltr Diesel, but that's all at this time. I hope to see it during the next week or two.
Chuckles,

Are you talking about U.S. gallons or Imperial gallons?

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
UK - Imperial gallons, although I didnt think it made Tooooooo much difference!

like the tractor ... We had a Fergi T21 uptill recently 1951 TVO