Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
3-point Seatbelts

I've looked and looked through the postings here, and don't seem to find anything about this subject. Has anyone attempted to install 3 point seatbelts (Shoulder and Lapbelt) in their Classic Moho? Or is there really any need? After driving for so many years with my autos all having 3 point belts, it's going to be strange only having lap belts in my motorhome.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
I've looked and looked through the postings here, and don't seem to find anything about this subject. Has anyone attempted to install 3 point seatbelts (Shoulder and Lapbelt) in their Classic Moho? Or is there really any need? After driving for so many years with my autos all having 3 point belts, it's going to be strange only having lap belts in my motorhome.
If you check out this site RV Furniture Seats,Custom Motorhome Leather Seat,Cabrillo iS
They explain the legality and insurance issues with seats and integrated seat belts.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
wow, so it's almost as if insurance companies 'don't' want us to be safe???
Old 08-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
wow, so it's almost as if insurance companies 'don't' want us to be safe???
In todays legal world very few companies are willing to modify a manufactured product. I think there are too many people who would bolt their new seat base to the plywood floor and be happy. The insurance company would rather have a properly mounted lap belt then an questionable mounting of a three point belt. There are many after market seat belts especially in the racing world. Just make sure you have something solid to mount them to. That may be a bit of a challenge because other than the sub frame everything chair level or above is soft aluminum and not real secure for a seat belt.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Needing a 3 point is not really a relevant point...going 55 mph down the road in 17,000 pounds is more than enough impetus to preclude impact...a seatbelt is circumstantial, and 2-3 points is not gonna help...drive carefully, and pray that the other idiots on the road aren't aiming for you...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Honestly, it's just gonna be strange for me to strap on just a lap belt. My whole life, I've always driven with 3-point belts. Well, except for the 1964 Buick Skylark Convertible, which when purchased, had NO seatbelts, lol. At some point, I will find a way to install 3 point belts, but only if they are done where they are actually to my benefit, not just screwed to a plywood floor. More $, but I'll feel safer at least. Thanks, Derek
Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I was an ER nurse for over 20 years, and a paramedic for 8 years....I have pulled my share of bodies out of senseless wrecks...a seat belt basically places you in the driver's seat...it will protect you, but it won't save you...wisdom might...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Just to put my 2cents in. Being a 'professional' Postal Driver, trained and card carrying, I see my fair share of senseless driving on a daily basis. It seems that folks feel that having a drivers license is a right, not a privilege. I'm still on the lookout for a way to install 3-point belts in the moho, albeit in some sense that they actually will do some good for me if involved in an accident.