Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
On my 1989. 345, there is a gauge in the dash showing air pressure in the rear.
And there are two valve stem like filler points between the grill and front bumper. So easy to check pressure there.
Not so on other models?

My rear airbags are so weathered and cracked looking, but they do hold pressure ovet night and the ride is good. So for now I'll focus on more immediate needs.

Gots to be carefull filling the front bags as they are small volume and easy to over fill. Especially if you just were topping off a tire. Complete oppisite in fill time.

I'm having an intermittent issue with the compressor sometimes staying running on long drives. Seems to be the leveling valve on the drivers side sticking open.
Have jiggled the lever and it stops blowing off pressure.
I've got to look into it a bit closer. So appreciate the resent threads on the subject.

Cheers Richard

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 29' Airstream 290
St. Francisville , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
At the risk of sounding rude, you're missing your air bags

I'm pretty sure that with the exception of possibly the early Argosy motorhomes all Airstream motorhomes came with front air bags.

Brad
I feel dumb now. I never noticed the front airbags inside of the springs. I went to check the pressure in them and they almost fell apart they were so dry rotted. Are these difficult to replace? Any ideas where I can get new ones?

Thanks!!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
www.sdtrucksprings.com › firestone-410...

There are many suppliers. Air-lift and Firestone are common brands.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Not a fun job but deffinitely a DIY if youve got some pretty basic mechanical skills..........and a good deal of patience. There are many threads detailing the process here on the forums. Try googling .. Airforums motorhome front air bags

Mike
Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 29' Airstream 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Not a fun job but deffinitely a DIY if youve got some pretty basic mechanical skills..........and a good deal of patience. There are many threads detailing the process here on the forums. Try googling .. Airforums motorhome front air bags

Mike
Thanks Mike! I'm sure they haven't worked in a long time, but very few miles have been put on my 290 in the past 18 years. Any chance we could have damaged something by not having the bags working? Also, will it make a significant improvement for the ride/handling etc.?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
It should improve the ride a great deal. They will also keep your suspension from bottoming out and jarring the front end components. Hard to say if any damage, my guess would be no but youll need to go over your suspension and have a look. These chassis were designed to have the air bags installed so I wouldnt drive it on the road much without them in place. Very very common maintenance item on coaches that have sat for long periods. Not too expensive to replace the bags. Youll notice the difference immediately.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 29' Airstream 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
It should improve the ride a great deal. They will also keep your suspension from bottoming out and jarring the front end components. Hard to say if any damage, my guess would be no but youll need to go over your suspension and have a look. These chassis were designed to have the air bags installed so I wouldnt drive it on the road much without them in place. Very very common maintenance item on coaches that have sat for long periods. Not too expensive to replace the bags. Youll notice the difference immediately.
Good deal! I just ordered a set of the Firestone 4100's. I'm gonna try and replace them myself. Not sure if I can do it without taking the springs off, some say you can, we'll see. Thanks again for the advise.

Wendell
Old 04-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...-new-post.html

Heres a good idea. He vacuumed the air out of the bags so they would colapse and insert into the hole in the control arm. I heated my bags up a bit in the oven to make them more plyable and then used zip ties to keep them rolled up as I worked them through the holes. Snipped off the ties as I worked them up. I think most folks dont remove the springs to get the bags in but some have. Either way, you can get it done Im sure. I also used plenty of hand cleaner to lube up the bags. Make sure you dont have any burrs in the hole of the control arms that could damage the bags. Good luck, youll like the ride!