Old 09-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
2006(7?) Airstream Classic MH

Came across this while surfing another board; tho an artist's rendering, looks like what we've all been waiting for (scroll down): 2006 Airstream Classic.

Key observation by one poster was the selection of W24 vs. FRED chassis; either way, we're very excited. Guess now it's all about the $$.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
This ought to be interesting. BMW usually does good design work, and Cristopher Deam has long established himself to "think outside the white box" . Might there be light at the end of the RV boredom tunnel?

Old 09-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This is the drawing that appeared in Airstream Life Summer issue. We can only speculate what the real thing will look like, but it is exciting to see it shape up.
The skin will be aluminum thermal formed through the superplastic method ( see AS LIfe for details). I wonder whether it will have any rivets at all. The look should be clean and sharp!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I had the good fortune to see the lower nose that was a prototype of the super-forming. It was a very thick piece of aluminum that had the Airstream name formed right into it. The shape was very much the same shape as the current classic, but had more of a pointed prow or break point in the center of the coach.

My understanding is that the sides will be constructed using rivets, but the bulk of the side wall will be a laminated. The connection points between the front and rear caps and the side walls will be riveted. The rest, who knows. Fewer rivets means less man hours to build it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoate
Guess now it's all about the $$.
My understanding is to be around $300K! The way the aluminum panels will be formed is apparently quiet expensive. Classic = expensive as usual. Course this just adds to the value and mystique to all of those lucky enough to own one of the originals.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Since I am not in the market for any motorhome, nor can I imagine a set of circumstances whereby I would be, perhaps I should not comment. But isn't the W24 a gas engine chassis? And is there really a strong market for a $300,000 gas engine motorcoach today?

Mark
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
But isn't the W24 a gas engine chassis? And is there really a strong market for a $300,000 gas engine motorcoach today?
W24 is a gas chassis. If it is on one it is a mistake at that price. For that money you can get a really nice diesel pusher, really nice, slides and everything. From what I have seen the FRED chassis is only a $6-7000 increase and is still a puller, spring suspension, hydraulic brakes, etc. Even if AS used that I can't imagine it would sell.

Superformed panels are heated prior to forming and are expensive to produce. I am curious about the laminated side panels, what is laminated to what?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Superformed panels are heated prior to forming and are expensive to produce. I am curious about the laminated side panels, what is laminated to what?
I dunno, all they said was that they were looking to skin the exterior with the aluminum and were trying to do it as a lamination, like the other slab sided MH's use. There is a curvature there, so I don't know how they plan to do that...... The Execution of the manufacturing is sufficiently different that the new "classic" will require a dedicated plant to support it's assembly. Currently trailers and MH all go down the same line mixed together.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
_

. , .
it's fun to speculate but who really knows?

sometimes bmw does great engineering and suspensions and drivetrains.....

seldom have they done good 'body' design work.....for years the bmw models all looked similar...to quote the ceo "sausage links of different lengths".... the most recent models have been almost uniformly berated as UGLY....they are called "bangled" in honor of the designer who did the deed and no longer works at bmw....

will there be rivets?? oh god of course there will be. airstream already did the aliminum 'coach without rivets' when they tried spaceage glue.....it held them together fine but they were/are ugly!!!

if the skin is aluminum there will be rivets.....now maybe they won't be as structural as in years past....but they'll be plenty of rivets...

how much will it cost/what features will it have......jeeeeeeeeeesus who knows this stuff changes with a half life approaching computers......

besided the building/factory isn't even built yet! the line isn't designed, the workers aren't hired, the platform/chassis is still upknown......

slides anyone? pop ups? glass opening moon roofs? diesel or gas?

so i'd doubt anyone who seems to 'know' what's coming.....

but it will be cool i hope, expensive most likely, and look like an airstream...not just carry the name plate....like the other moho's they build now.

cheers
2air'
Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Rivets – the quintessential marquee of a “Classic” airstream.

The sides WILL be laminated – that has been reiterated time and again. Conventional RV flat panels are constructed with fiberglass bonded to a high strength foam - so where…and how…do you attach the rivets?

BIG question – how will repairs to the panels/laminates be effected?

All repairs attempts will be acerbated by any “curves” in the panels – just the manufacture of a “curved” panel will be quite a trick!

Slideouts – gotta hav’em…..don’t think anyone with the means to procure an expensive new MoHo would even consider a purchase without a slideout (or two or three)….more design tribulations….and then there are the thin swoopy windows to design the slide(s) around…..

On the question of the chassis – providing a purchasers choice of chassis should not be an insurmountable dilemma – all modern chassis’ on the market are basically flat “platforms” that the body manufacturer attaches the coach floor to.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
From what I've read in the trade press it's going to be available in two triple slide out floorplans (37' and 39') on either the W22 or W24 chassis (both Workorse Gas pullers) with a target retail price of around $160K which puts it near other "luxury" gassers like the NewMar Mountain Aire and some Monaco/HR products and at the low end of some SOB pusher products - a competetive market space for sure, but also one where almost every product looks "the same". No doubt that this will be a real stand out product at the price point.

Formed exterior panels (as Dennis described - no rivets) and the interior is from Christopher C Deam. These new panels might mean it's not longer something you can repaire in the driveway with some sheets of aluminum, a rivet gun and shaver and some buddies, but [some] dealers and factory service centers have been replacing wall panels for a long time. Obviously, we would all hope its either only failure or collision that would drive any panel replacement but the the concept of "major maintenance" may not be a big design issue for a modern high design platform.

It is supposed to be at the industry show in early December. I'm hoping to see it in person then and I'll try to grab some pictures. No doubt I'll bump into Rich when I'm there.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
with a target retail price of around $160K which puts it near other "luxury" gassers like the NewMar Mountain Aire and some Monaco/HR products
THAT price sounds a lot more reasonable.

Quote:
Formed exterior panels (as Dennis described - no rivets) and the interior is from Christopher C Deam. This might mean it's not longer something you can replace in the driveway, but dealers and factory service centers have been replacing wall panels for a long time.
The laminated luan-fiberglass walls do leave a lot to be desired. Thanks to this design there has been a lot of practice replacing walls, and a lot of disappointed owners of sob trailers and motor homes.