Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
1991 Classic 350LE - continued

We took over this moho from Dave and Felicia (Wxbuoy) this summer, and this thread is intended to be a continuation of his earlier thread.

When you are freed from trying to maintain a stock or classic interior appearance, the options are rather daunting, and I understand why Dave and Felicia had such a hard time deciding on what to do. Everything is a compromise.

Anyway, we like the look of the bedroom (see below) so much that we decided to continue aluminizing the interior walls of the moho. There are now only a couple walls that are not aluminized, and those may get covered in the near future!

We have also decided to remove the upper cabinet on the passenger side (which is a head-magnet, in my experience), to re-install the gaucho, and to reinstall the booth, albeit in a shorter form so as to not extend into the galley hallway. Hopefully this can be seen in the photos.

As with all things airstream, everything is a custom job and there lots of details to attend to. For example, the original two-post table won't work (its too long), so it will be replaced by a smaller table with a telescoping support (single post). I will update this thread as the installation of the booth progresses, but it will be a slow go as the moho is in winter storage.

We also need to decide on the passenger side seating and a table/cabinet. I have an idea about a couch that would be movable from a lengthwise orientation for traveling to a transverse orientation for camping, but have not worked out the details. Any ideas on the passenger side seating would be appreciated.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0019 (Medium).JPG
Views:	208
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	276350   Click image for larger version

Name:	085.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	276351  

Name:	086.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	276352   Click image for larger version

Name:	083.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	276353  

dspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wow is that beautiful!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Welcome to the forum Dave, happy to have you touch in with your new to you
Classic 350 LE.
It was sad to see Dave and Falicia have to downsize while in the middle of a nice restro. Here is wishing them well!

But it's nice to see the coach moved on to folks that appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into it and plan to carry on toward a nice completion.

While owning these great classic coaches is neat in its own right, it is also an introduction to this zany eclectic crew of other owners. I think you will find help, tech details as well as moral support when needed. As well as plenty of laughs!

I do really like the nautical theamed interior details in the bedroom redo, cool you are going to continue the look.

Do keep us posted as to what you are into with your coach.

Cheers Richard

Sorry for the low light pic. But on my pass side I moved the little table forward to just behind the front seat as a tv stand. Then place a couple of hassocks between that and the door. Can be extra seating or used in front of the couch.
Man, I hear you about that upper cabinet being a head magnet, especially without the chair there to guide you around it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	276391  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I love the look of the aluminum skins Dave. We did the same on Bella and the amount of light that gets reflected makes the walls almost disappear. No one who goes in Bella can belief she is only 20ft, and that is all done to the windows and reflected light.

First time I have seen it on a bigger unit, but still looks great.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave, glad to hear the 350LE is still in good hands and I look forward to seeing your personal touches as you finish it up

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Thanks everyone. Dave and Felicia did the heavy lifting in getting the moho road worthy and did all the major renovations. We just have to keep at it and finish it off. Looking forward to spring so we can get out on the road
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Amazing looking results

Looks like quite a project. I still wonder what it is that draws us to this type of thing. Your work looks great. Please keep it up and keep us posted.
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Looking great Dave. Felicia and I know it is in great hands. You nailed it with the front design! That was what we wanted but couldn't picture. Great job!!!

Thanks for posting, brings back such great memories!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Spring, finally

I got the moho out of storage - started right up, no problems, and took it about five miles to my shop where it will stay outside for a couple months while i work on it, and get it ready for a local trip in a couple weeks and a longer trip to North Carolina in May.

I took the the interior-facing skin off the outer door (three panels). The panels are vinyl covered aluminum and I am replacing them with aluminum to match the rest of the interior. I was surprised that the door had regular pink fiberglass insulation between the inner and outer skins. I might replace that with foam and/or at least add some mass loaded vinyl to the inner surfaces, not sure.

I need to replace the shade that was in the door - it has fallen apart. Any ideas for an upgraded replacement?

Also, on the screen door, there is a sliding plastic panel. It has yellowed with age. Is there a preferred gray/aluminum colored paint for plastic? I don't remember anyone painting anything.

I will try to attach some photos, which aren't very good.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	282240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	282241  

Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The door slide is often called a 'gizzy'. Most of the Airstream suppliers have them if you want to replace but you need to know they come in different sizes for different year models, and come oversized to be cut to fit.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...p/vts-1492.htm

Any of the plastic parts seem to take being sprayed with Krylon.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
The slide in my screen door is aluminum, not sure why. I bet with all that aluminum you have lying around....
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Thanks for your helpful response, Martin.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Dave,

Glad to hear it is behaving nicely for you! Like Brad says Cyrlon spray paint works great. If you want to go back to original you can use a paste made of baking soda and bleach. This will get rid if the discoloration.

BUT as Martin alludes to I would try and make something out if aluminum or stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Nice to see that you are still hanging out with us Dave.
How are you doing, are you getting a handle on your health changes, and finding ways to get out for some fun?

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Nice to see that you are still hanging out with us Dave.
How are you doing, are you getting a handle on your health changes, and finding ways to get out for some fun?

Cheers Richard
Richard, doing well and getting along ok. Hard not to hang out here. I am living vicariously through you all! I think about the MoHo and the great folks this place allowed me to meet and interact with often! As far as getting out for some fun.... We have been toying around with getting a sprinter. Easy peasy and we aren't going to be traveling off the grid anyway anymore.

Take care!
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Renovations

I had a good weekend. The interior is mostly put back together - booth re-installed and blinds hung. The door interior skin has been replaced - still need to work on that a little - one panel is not right (as an FYI if you are trying this yourself, the new metal is about 50% thicker than the vinyl covered aluminum that was on the original). The gizzy has been painted - turned out nice.

The booth is just mocked up - I will take it apart, add some finishing details, rebuild it in final form, and try to stain it to match. The table is the original table - but with a pedestal instead of the twin posts. I got this idea from the trailer people - the pedestal lowers to convert to a bed. And it actually works. Its hard to see in this photo, but the booth has been cut down so that it doesn't stick out into the galley (like the table). Waiting on my friend to make us a new table - same design as the old one, just not as long. With my friend, it may be years before the new table is done, so I didn't want to wait....

Attached are some photos.

Question on the couch switch - where is it mounted? My switch is at the end of the couch next to the driver's seat - I don't have any structure there to attach the switch too. To the 350's (is the the same on the 345's?) out there - I would really appreciate it if you could you send me a photo of the area where your couch switch is mounted.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CUMS1293[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	282627   Click image for larger version

Name:	CWOO5827[1].jpg
Views:	103
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	282628  

Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
That is one of the finest Classics out there IMHO. So glad to see you continuing with the project. Its looking fantastic Dave! (and what a platform to work with!)

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Thanks Mike.

We had a good start due to the efforts of Dave and Felicia and just want to keep it going. Just little things need to be finished, and I am trying to post my minor efforts to contribute to the forum, which has given me so much valuable information.

Also, we are looking forward to our maiden voyage next week.

Dave
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Couch swithc

Dave,

You have done a spectacular job!!!!

As far as your question: "Question on the couch switch - where is it mounted? My switch is at the end of the couch next to the driver's seat - I don't have any structure there to attach the switch too. To the 350's (is the the same on the 345's?) out there - I would really appreciate it if you could you send me a photo of the area where your couch switch is mounted. "

IN the photo below it shows the original set up of the 350's. They have a false arm rest made out of a 2" box shell that was covered with the same fabric as the couch mounted up tight again the couch. This gave it the appearance of a normal couch. The "armrest" was not attached to the coucho in away but attached to the floor and back wall so the coucho could swing out into the bed positions. The power switch was near the from of the arm rest on the cockpit side. There is a red arrow pointing to the area.

Okay... The pic won't post since I don't have the unlimited account anymore. I sent it to you via e-mail. You can post it then for the group.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Thanks Dave. That helps a lot.

I will have to think about where to mount the switch....